• Jan 16th, 2019 11:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
16525 posts
13430 upvotes
Toronto

True cost of a $7 restaurant taco

useful for the RFDers that post on Hot Deals restaurant stuff saying how they could make it cheaper

An earlier version of this article incorrectly described a behavior of crows exposed to crow corpses. Live crows only touch, attack and attempt intercourse with crow corpses, they do not scavenge them. (Actual NYT correction)
70 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5863 posts
1391 upvotes
Markham
When we say we can make it cheaper...we (or me) only look at the food ingredient cost. Since we aren't at work, we don't factor in our labour. We have out house already so we don't factor in the cost of our house. There is no "profit" when we eat other than we save medical costs by eating less salt/fat etc by eating at home.

So Yes we can make it cheaper at home!
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Oct 3, 2017
128 posts
80 upvotes
I go to Mexico to eat tacos or make them myself. Prices of tacos in Canada make Mexicans smile. They also smile at what we pay for anything involving labour.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1520 posts
641 upvotes
George613 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:21 pm
I go to Mexico to eat tacos or make them myself. Prices of tacos in Canada make Mexicans smile. They also smile at what we pay for anything involving labour.
We smile at having clean drinking water.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1938 posts
685 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Most people don't have a clue what it costs to operate a business.
Diversity is Our Burden
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4345 posts
477 upvotes
I think most people have no idea how hard it is to be a successful/profitable restaurant. Rents in many big markets are very expensive, food costs keep increasing, higher minimum wage, etc. Restaurants have very high failure rates, even restaurants that get generally good reviews on Google/Yelp, etc. If the ingredients for a specific dish cost $3, the restaurant needs to sell it for $10, because unlike at home, restaurants need to factor in rent, employees, & profit. Of course people can make it cheaper at home, but it probably won't taste as good (not always though)
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3568 posts
1217 upvotes
Mississauga
poleman wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:21 pm
As evidenced by all the whining on RFD about how restaurant food X costs too much now.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2717 posts
1391 upvotes
Canadia
poleman wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:21 pm
It's interesting to see how the raw food costs at a restaurant mirror manufacturing percentages.

I work for a company that manufactures consumer electronics; we design the products in North America and make them offshore. I regularly see Facebook posts where people dissect some of our simpler devices and declare that they could build them with only $5 of parts. They totally miss the cost of R&D, firmware coding, industrial design, mold making, prototypes, etc. Sure, the raw goods cost $5, but we have to sell for $30 just to keep the lights on.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10752 posts
1374 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:44 am
useful for the RFDers that post on Hot Deals restaurant stuff saying how they could make it cheaper
There's really no point posting this. Those posters that say they can make it cheaper at home usually get shit on by other posters.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2065 posts
1110 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 10:44 am
The wiseguys who say that either 1-could never make the product to the same quality as the restaurant, 2- couldn't cook their way out of a paper bag and are just blowing hot air, or 3- are lazy (to go along with cheap) and would never bother trying to make that product at home in the first place.

Simple answer - don't agree with the price, don't buy it. If you think you can do it better, open your own restaurant, undercut that price, put them out of business, and make a ton of money in the process. Put up or shut up.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jan 10th, 2019 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12008 posts
1761 upvotes
City of Vancouver
There is medical/dental for part-time employees?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16716 posts
1526 upvotes
Space for rent
gr8dlr wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:51 pm
When we say we can make it cheaper...we (or me) only look at the food ingredient cost. Since we aren't at work, we don't factor in our labour. We have out house already so we don't factor in the cost of our house. There is no "profit" when we eat other than we save medical costs by eating less salt/fat etc by eating at home.

So Yes we can make it cheaper at home!
I never miss an opportunity to bash businesses for making money hand over fist when it comes to selling generic service or products to the public but I have to say your rebuttal is short sighted because you fail to take into account the most important aspect of dining out which is convenience and ambiance to say nothing of the social aspect as well. I imagine that's very high on the list of reasons why people find out which they did not put into the list of expenses but should however that would seem rather pretensious.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16716 posts
1526 upvotes
Space for rent
Becks wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 3:27 pm
There is medical/dental for part-time employees?
My work covers some of it for part timers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5863 posts
1391 upvotes
Markham
Supercooled wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:43 am
I never miss an opportunity to bash businesses for making money hand over fist when it comes to selling generic service or products to the public but I have to say your rebuttal is short sighted because you fail to take into account the most important aspect of dining out which is convenience and ambiance to say nothing of the social aspect as well. I imagine that's very high on the list of reasons why people find out which they did not put into the list of expenses but should however that would seem rather pretensious.
I never said anything about the reasons why some people dine dining out, I was only commenting on the pure aspect of "cost" ie how much does it cost me to provide a meal to my family, my friends and myself.

I generally don't dine out partially because of cost (I can put a full meal out for 4 people for what i pay just for myself at a restaurant). I also don't dine out precisely for the reasons you cite people DO dine out for:

> convenence (I don't have to deal with traffic and parking to eat)
> ambience (lights down low to the point where I can't read a menu and not hearing a conversation from someone sitting 3 feet from me is not ambience....being able to actually see my food and hear my dining mates conversation is)
> social aspect (no difference as I'm dining with my friends and family. I don't care about socializing with the general public whom I don't know).
> dining out....how long does it take the server to bring me a glass of water, there's hardly anyone here and we haven't seen any food for over half an hour, how did they forget one person's main dish, why is that other table getting their food before us even though we ordered way before them, you served apps but forgot our drinks, my food is not hot,

The food may or may not be as good as a restaurants depending on the hosts cooking ability but truth be told, people have a much better time eating "out" at a hosts home as guests rather than go to a restaurant.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1849 posts
595 upvotes
B.C.
MMMMM Tacofino. Totally worth $7 for a taco from them!

My problem is with places that don't pay their staff as well (Seriously, Mat leave top up at a restaurant?!?! Wow!) but still charge this much or more.

Tacofino is probably sitting on a street full of other other restaurants that charge about the same and have a revolving door for staff that get the bare minimum.