True cost of driving to Florida from Toronto

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2023 4:07 pm
Oct 27, 2013
343 posts
94 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

True cost of driving to Florida from Toronto

I'm interested in knowing your thoughts on the true cost of driving to Florida from Toronto. We go down every February but we have always flown. We discussed driving next time to save some money. Here is what I've found:

Flying
Flights (@ $400 ea, 3 paying tickets, 1 non-paying infant) = $1200
Car Rental = $400
Plus half day of travel each way = 1 day of travel total
Total = $1600

Driving, 4 todays of travel total, 2,386 kms total
Gas = $300
Hotels $100 ea night = $200
Food/restaurants = $200 (breakfast, lunch and dinner, both ways)
Maintenance/Tires (CAA at 2.5 cents for maintenance, 2.5 cents for tires) = $240
Plus 4 days of driving total
Total = $940

The big difference IMO is whether the $660 savings for an additional 3 days to relax is worth it? Anyone else have any thoughts?
180 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
newby1983 wrote: The big difference IMO is whether the $660 savings for an additional 3 days to relax is worth it? Anyone else have any thoughts?
Personally I don't think it's worth the effort - vacation time > money in my case.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
If it's over 8 hours of driving, I fly. That shows you what I value the most, time or money.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I would never drive a far distance to save $$$. That's horrible. You'll be bored out of your mind and might fall asleep at the wheel. If you and your family enjoy long drives then that's a different story.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
It would be fine if your making meaningful stops... Get the i90 guide, don't just drive through all the states.
Jul 20, 2012
783 posts
345 upvotes
Guelph
I'd fly, you're there in 4 hrs. (roughly) and you'd be relaxed. After 2 days of driving, whoever is driving will be worn out by the time you get there. Same thing driving home. You'd need a couple of days to unwind after you get back. You may save a bit flying out of Buffalo. Even with the lower dollar there may be savings.
Personally I enjoy driving, so I'd take a few days getting there checking out spots on the way. I'm retired so I have the time.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2032 posts
178 upvotes
Live AT, Work FL, Ho…
Like many others here, I'd fly too to save the vacation time for vacation and not driving.

Also, there's depreciation car on the car for the distance traveled that you have not factored in.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
Aristophanes wrote: Like many others here, I'd fly too to save the vacation time for vacation and not driving.

Also, there's depreciation car on the car for the distance traveled that you have not factored in.
I think the OP is is renting so depreciation doesn't affect him. Anyways, I never calculate or try to calculate depreciation from mileage for travelling. Its one thing to calculate fuel, oil changes and tire wear, but to add depreciation?!! If someone plans to keep their car for 10 years, the car would have depreciated to a point where mileage doesn't even matter anymore. It's all relative so it's very hard to calculate depreciation. Too many variables.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
Ask yourself "how much is my time worth?". When you figure that out, multiply it by how many hours you're driving. You'll quickly realize that flying is a better alternative, despite costing more, UNLESS all you care about is the bottom line.
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
421 upvotes
Toronto
I would only drive there if I had free time and money in my hands and for adventure.... but to put my family through torture to save some $$$ and at the same time lose 4 days of my vacation getting there? Naaaw.
Jul 23, 2009
911 posts
434 upvotes
Ireland
Driving long road trips is one of those things that sound fun, but once you actually do it becomes hell. Unless you like looking at cornfields, farms and trees, much better just to fly and rent a car at the destination. I only make an exception for places with lovely scenery like Ireland, etc. where driving can be rewarded with good views.
Jan 19, 2006
581 posts
463 upvotes
BC
I used to do mountain bike trips to Moab UT. There would be a total of two to three of us sharing the driving. We left about 8:00am, drove straight through stopping only for fuel or fast food. Took 21hrs on average. Did this for ten years and often both spring and fall. We would arrive at about 6 to 7am, set up the campsite, go to sleep till about noon and then go biking!! Yesterday was BC, Today is Moab!! It was some great times. Sometimes we got too tired to drive and stopped to sleep at about 3am until the sun came up then carried on. You ain't getting there if you are looking at 12VDC margarita blenders for sale in the mega truck stops, so the trick is to keep moving. The night driving was tough at times - if we lucked out and had a full moon it was magic! Wildlife was always a worry but never had a problem. All in all it was like an extended party with close friends. We all brought the music that we liked, snacks etc. Best times ever!!

Or you could pay a cab to get to the airport +2hrs before flight time, have a full body nudie scan, pay $25 a checked bag (each way) and $25 for advance seat selection (each way) then cram into those ohh soooo roomy new slim seats that all the planes are going to and get weather delayed... Repeat for the return home. I consider the travel days as pretty much lost - unless you happen to luck out and get a great schedule. So you use two vacation days even if you fly - more if you get delayed.

Given the choice I always drive - because I have control over my schedule, avoid getting gouged at every turn to be put in an environment of sufferance. Fuel in the USA is lower priced too!

Sometimes it is about the journey and not the destination.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2018 upvotes
Scarborough
Time is money but each individual values their time differently as well. I cannot justify $1,200 in plane tickets just to get there in 4 hours, I would end up spending more money because I arrived 3 days earlier, lol. Might be good idea to do it once and see how you feel, you get to drive by interesting things along the way. It's not for every one
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4158 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto
Drive to buffalo/Niagara falls and take Spirit airlines to Fort Lauderdale. They have promotions during the winter which could cost as low as $70-80cdn per person. Only downside is that the flight outbound is at 2am but well worth it if you want to save money.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2013
1274 posts
410 upvotes
$50 a day for meals for 4 people seems low. Are you including taxes and exchange? Same with the hotel.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
708 upvotes
South of Ottawa
I'm with the "what is your time worth" group. Do it once to see if it's even remotely enjoyable. If your vacation time is limited, then that drive is 4 days you will never get back unless the drive becomes part of the vacation, ie. stopping to see and do things along the way,
Oct 27, 2013
343 posts
94 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Aristophanes wrote: Also, there's depreciation car on the car for the distance traveled that you have not factored in.

The car is over 6 years old so any depreciation would probably be negligible at this point.

I think at this point it's still worthwhile to fly given my youngest wouldn't have to pay for a seat yet. We still have lots of time to look for flight and car rental deals. At the moment they're a bit high for February but hopefully they'll come down.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8687 posts
1542 upvotes
Flying makes sense for smaller families. There's a breaking point where it starts weighing in favour of driving.

Eg. Family of 2 adults, 4 kids. When you factor flight costs of 6, being forced to rent a pricey minivan upon arrival, lugging 1-4 car seats, 4-6 suitcases, etc. Driving is not necessarily a bad option.

I had a former coworker where it was 2 adults, 3 kids and 2 grandparents annually. They would drive. 3 days down. Spend 2 weeks. 3 days back. Driving worked out better.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2010
3071 posts
1585 upvotes
We fly from Sudbury-Orlando (layover in Toronto) every February.

No way in hell I'd ever consider driving it....especially with a young child (3 years old).

My time/ease of travelling is worth more to me.

From Sudbury-Orlando is usually around 6-7 hours...including layover time. Get into Orlando at 1pm...and still have 3/4 of your day versus flying.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't drive to FL for a week to 10 day vacation, the driving to vacation ratio isn't strong enough for me! If I was going for a month, I'd happily drive. I like roadtrips, we've done roadtrips with our family quite a bit and we don't mind driving but I like the roadtrip to become part of the vacation, not just motoring along not seeing anything all the way there and save $600.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)