• Mar 19th, 2017 10:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22438 posts
4575 upvotes
GTHA

Trump admin lays out new plan to crack down on illegal immigration

President Donald Trump has made it very clear he wants to crack down on illegal immigration.

What wasn't particularly clear was just how tough he would be - until now.

A pair of enforcement memos from Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly lay bare exactly what the Trump administration plans to do and how many of the estimated 11 million immigrants living in the United States illegally will be targeted for deportation. The short answer: a lot.

Meanwhile Trump took to Twitter Tuesday to share an article that said, "An overwhelming majority of Americans believe that cities that arrest illegal immigrants for crimes should be required to turn them over to federal authorities. The poll shows that President Trump has broad public support in his effort to crack down on sanctuary cities."

Here is a look at some of what the policy memos say the government will do.
from http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22/tr ... mmigration
39 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13479 posts
1271 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with him. I can't believe this 'sanctuary city' idea has been allowed to continue like this. A country is nothing without the rule of law, and people who can't respect the laws that require them to legally immigrate have no place in it.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4525 posts
90 upvotes
London
I'm surprised...is this implying that if you're an illegal immigrant and you get arrested for something, there's a chance you won't get passed to immigrations for extradition?

I think from a legal perspective that's probably defensible and even right.

I think it's a practical issue at this point. Border control has been so loose that they now have a large cohort of illegal immigrants who have lived in the US for a long time. That's a pretty unique problem I would think. Deporting them at this point would be legal, but cruel.

If border control was tighter from the get-go then they wouldn't have to make the decision to extradite illegal immigrants who have been living for years and years in the country. But I guess they have to start somewhere.

I wonder if a more compassionate thing to do is to grandfather illegal immigrants who've been in the country for some specific duration of time as citizens, because by that point they would've likely become contributing members of the community in which they live. This obviously is an imperfect solution, as it'd be a nightmare (logistically, monetarily, etc.). for these individuals to prove how long they've been in the country. But IMHO it'd be more compassionate than blanket extraditing everyone.

I have no good solutions for this. That's why I'm not a policy-maker
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
3559 posts
1123 upvotes
BC / GVA
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:01 pm
I agree with him. I can't believe this 'sanctuary city' idea has been allowed to continue like this. A country is nothing without the rule of law, and people who can't respect the laws that require them to legally immigrate have no place in it.

I find it hilarious how the government chose Montreal as a sanctuary city. Probably the worst place possible. Quebecors (no offense if you are one) hate immigrants/refugees and now these refugees going to have to learn French and English instead of just English.
An ironic wise man once said, "Buy now, think later. The bubble will never burst."

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
9455 posts
666 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 2:46 pm
I find it hilarious how the government chose Montreal as a sanctuary city. Probably the worst place possible. Quebecors (no offense if you are one) hate immigrants/refugees and now these refugees going to have to learn French and English instead of just English.
wanting to deport criminal who also entered the country illegally??

SOmebody please stop this mad-man!!!
Penalty Box
May 10, 2005
26050 posts
2990 upvotes
Ottawa
Piro21 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 1:01 pm
I agree with you.
Sanctuary City? The mayor of Montreal says Montreal have the housing and can and ill support them? Tell that to the homeless and people n the waiting list for low income housing or the people waiting in line at food banks.
kingofwale wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 4:04 pm
wanting to deport criminal who also entered the country illegally??

SOmebody please stop this mad-man!!!
Funny
Wish we had a madman like that :)
"If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it and share it" Anonymous
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2010
3609 posts
508 upvotes
dealseaker101 wrote:

Well, no offense to you but that's more than a tad hyperbolic...
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2034 posts
358 upvotes
felixdd wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 2:07 pm
I'm surprised...is this implying that if you're an illegal immigrant and you get arrested for something, there's a chance you won't get passed to immigrations for extradition?

I think from a legal perspective that's probably defensible and even right.

I think it's a practical issue at this point. Border control has been so loose that they now have a large cohort of illegal immigrants who have lived in the US for a long time. That's a pretty unique problem I would think. Deporting them at this point would be legal, but cruel.

If border control was tighter from the get-go then they wouldn't have to make the decision to extradite illegal immigrants who have been living for years and years in the country. But I guess they have to start somewhere.

I wonder if a more compassionate thing to do is to grandfather illegal immigrants who've been in the country for some specific duration of time as citizens, because by that point they would've likely become contributing members of the community in which they live. This obviously is an imperfect solution, as it'd be a nightmare (logistically, monetarily, etc.). for these individuals to prove how long they've been in the country. But IMHO it'd be more compassionate than blanket extraditing everyone.

I have no good solutions for this. That's why I'm not a policy-maker
I strongly agree with most of your post.

The USA has a pretty unique problem. Absolutely true.
It requires a practical approach. Also true.
Just like you, I do not have a good suggestion for this problem. I understand the pros and cons of this unique situation. But there is no clear course of action that would be a win-win proposition (for anyone!).

This immigration situation has been brewing since 1846 (beginning of the so-called Mexican–American War, which was actually the USA invasion of Mexico). Trump wants to fix this problem in 2 weeks... it's gonna be a little bit more complicated than that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22438 posts
4575 upvotes
GTHA
Seth Meyers takes a closer look at the Trump administration's major changes to immigration policy.

Feb 13, 2017
49 posts
3 upvotes
There is also a reason why some people stay as illegal immigrants, they may have a crime on their record so if they were to apply for immigration, they'd be denied so intern they stay as an illegal.

A bigger issue is what is done when you do a crime as an illegal, you don't necessarily get the same level of prosecution as you are not a citizen.

Illegal immigration was historically used as a way to buy votes as you encouraged people to come to the country and if you promised them more benefits they will vote for your party even though they "legally" can't vote but there are no checks in place. (remember some states don't require any ID to vote). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_ID_ ... ted_States
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22438 posts
4575 upvotes
GTHA
Mexico fumes over Trump immigration rules ahead of talks
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... e34110431/
Mexico reacted with anger on Wednesday to what one official called “hostile” new U.S. immigration guidelines hours before senior Trump administration envoys began arriving in Mexico City for talks on the volatile issue.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security unveiled plans on Tuesday to consider almost all illegal immigrants subject to deportation, and will seek to send many of them to Mexico if they entered the United States from there, regardless of nationality.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2005
2970 posts
333 upvotes
"amnesty" for the "good" , deportation for the "bad" and then new "fixed" rules with the "huge" wall on the border ... Winking Face
Jan 22, 2017
48 posts
11 upvotes
should just enhance the screening of the immigrants i would suggest, opinions may differ.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22438 posts
4575 upvotes
GTHA
dealseaker101 wrote:
Montreal city council, led by former Liberal immigration minister Denis Coderre, declared Montreal a “sanctuary city” — meaning a person’s immigration status will not be verified before receiving taxpayer-funded services from the city.
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/02/22/li ... ont-matter
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2358 posts
237 upvotes
Ottawa
dealseaker101 wrote:
If they're in Quebec they only need to learn French. In fact, for a lot of immigrants they already know French as a second language due to their native countries being former territories of France.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel