Shopping Discussion

Trump’s NAFTA revamp could help CDN consumers: Online Shopping, Milk, Poultry

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 9:23 pm

Poll: Do you support an increase in our import limits?

• Total votes: 82. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

73%
No

27%

Poll ended at Apr 29th, 2017 1:54 pm

Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:42 pm
*bullshit snipped*
You still have not convinced me or anybody else here of the benefits of cartel price fixing other than to pad the pockets of Quebec separatist dairy farmers.
Time for the WTO to rightfully take action.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3489 posts
1066 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 10:57 pm
You still have not convinced me or anybody else here of the benefits of cartel price fixing other than to pad the pockets of Quebec separatist dairy farmers.
Time for the WTO to rightfully take action.
If you are GTA, why do you care what goes on in Quebec? How is it hurting you?

If you are in Ontario I don't think you are being hurt at all, which is why I wonder why you really care.
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:06 pm
If you are GTA, why do you care what goes on in Quebec? How is it hurting you?

If you are in Ontario I don't think you are being hurt at all, which is why I wonder why you really care.
Now that I can answer. I despise the Quebec separatists so I try to avoid supporting Quebec business as much as possible in favor of the rest of Canada or foreign. That is my right. Quebec separatists are not Canadian. They are traitors and they do not deserve my money.

Unfortunately most of the dairy (and maple syrup) is Quebec. I import American and European dairy products from the USA every chance I get, and I make sure any maple syrup I buy is sourced in Ontario, New York, or Vermont.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3489 posts
1066 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:09 pm
Now that I can answer. I despise the Quebec separatists so I try to avoid supporting Quebec business as much as possible in favor of the rest of Canada or foreign. That is my right. Quebec separatists are not Canadian. They are traitors and they do not deserve my money.

Unfortunately most of the dairy (and maple syrup) is Quebec. I import American and European dairy products from the USA every chance I get, and I make sure any maple syrup I buy is sourced in Ontario, New York, or Vermont.
Why don't you buy Ontario milk then? You realize that there is a dairy board for Ontario https://www.milk.org/corporate/main.aspx to serve Ontario's needs and a dairy board for Quebec http://lait.org/en/ that is separate? You realize that the source and pricing for milk is different in Ontario than it is in Quebec?

Why do you care about a dairy board in a province that you do not live in that does not even affect you?
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:20 pm
Why do you care about a dairy board in a province that you do not live in that does not even affect you?
Saputo is an Ontario company? News to me...
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3489 posts
1066 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:41 pm
Saputo has some of the cheapest cheese out there, last I bought was $3.24/400g ($3.99 less $.75 manufacturer coupon). What's wrong with that? Why are you in emotional pain over the price of cheese when it is that low?

That's US$ 2.73/lb in case you want to find me proof that it is lower in the US.
Dec 19, 2012
135 posts
46 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:41 pm
So are you saying Saputo gets all their milk from Quebec and ships it all over Canada?
Please tell me you don't really believe that?
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:49 pm
Saputo has some of the cheapest cheese out there, last I bought was $3.24/400g ($3.99 less $.75 manufacturer coupon). What's wrong with that? Why are you in emotional pain over the price of cheese when it is that low?

That's US$ 2.73/lb in case you want to find me proof that it is lower in the US.
When you buy Saputo cheese you get what you pay for. Overpriced dreck.
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
bgiles wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 11:54 pm
So are you saying Saputo gets all their milk from Quebec and ships it all over Canada?
Please tell me you don't really believe that?
Still a Quebec company so profits are going to the separatists. You can continue to support the PQ and BQ with your money. I choose not to.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3489 posts
1066 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:08 am
When you buy Saputo cheese you get what you pay for. Overpriced dreck.
But it isn't overpriced.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:09 am
Still a Quebec company so profits are going to the separatists. You can continue to support the PQ and BQ with your money. I choose not to.
So all of a sudden this is not about free markets but the Quebecois?
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
Hypothetical situation to consider:

In Canada we only produce and sell one kind of car. For argument's sake we'll call it the Chevy Cruze. But it can be any compact, non-premium car (not picking on the Cruze or Chevy at all). It retails in Canada for $70,000.
Any Canadian can go to a dealer and buy a Cruze if he has $70,000 to spend on it. Don't have $70,000, too bad so sad, no car for you.

However, go figure, across the border in the USA, they also make the Cruze, identical in every way, but they sell it for $20,000. The Americans make other cars too, some sell for more, some sell for less than $20,000. They also make cars in Mexico, Korea, Japan, and Europe, at various price levels.

So you think, why don't I just buy a Cruze in America. So you go over to Buffalo, hand over your $20,000, try to import your new Cruze, and at the border you are handed a tax bill for $60,000.

That's the dairy situation lecale is defending.

If it's OK for dairy why isn't it OK for cars. Don't those nice folks at Unifor (ex-CAW) deserve the same?
Maybe if we did it this way we wouldn't have to worry about the Big Three closing down our factories... but does that make it right? How does this benefit the consumers (other than the factory workers)?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3489 posts
1066 upvotes
Your car analogy doesn't hold because (1) there is not a 350% price difference between the price of US milk and Canadian milk (2) groceries are tax and tariff free and you are free to import your own milk with zero penalty.

The situation seems to be that milk is currently 6% cheaper in the US after exchange because there is oversupply.

In 2014 however the US had peak prices and milk was more expensive there than here, so things are just evening out over time. Remember, we would be subject to peak as well as bottom prices if we did not have supply management.

In Ontario the price has remained approximately the same, save a $.30 increase (7%) in 4L a year or two so ago.

Going back to my $580 yearly dairy bill, 6% savings is $35

Would I pay $35/year towards Canadian jobs, Canadian farms, Canadian standards and regulations (including hormone-free milk and tougher antibiotics rules)? Sure, gladly. I'd make that up in rebates from Shoppers Drug Mart and Loblaws through their points programs, and even surpass that savings.

Anyone who claims that there is a huge economic benefit to the consumer by eliminating our milk system can't do math and doesn't care about food safety. Furthermore, they can always use their gas money to go get their own dairy products across the US border so no one is being held back from their chance at "savings" of 25 big cents per 4L.
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 12:49 pm
*more bullshit snipped*
Cartel price fixing and tariff walls are still wrong no matter how you try to spin it. Obviously you would gladly pay $70,000 for a $20,000 car just to keep Jerry Dias and the boys happy...
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Apr 21st, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
3489 posts
1066 upvotes
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:13 pm
Cartel price fixing and tariff walls are still wrong no matter how you try to spin it. Obviously you would gladly buy a $20,000 car for $70,000 to keep Jerry Dias and the boys happy...
Yeah but it's not like that. Play again or have you been skunked enough :D ?
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
lecale wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 1:20 pm
*more bullshit*
Cartel price fixing and tariff walls are still wrong no matter how you try to spin it.