Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 11, 2005
255 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Trustworthy online camera retailer?

I'm looking for a decent point and shoot camera for taking vacation shots in Europe at the end of the month. I'm looking for the sweetspot between performance and price. Anything above 7 mpx will be fine.

I'm thinking there must be canadian online retailer still moving out older stock. Are there any you'd vouch for?

Also, any suggestions on make and model appreciated.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1331 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I heard we don't have to pay duties on cameras/camera equipment when ordered from the US. Just GST. Is this true?
redflagdeals... buy now, think later.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
ttbwpg wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 2:34 pm
I'm looking for a decent point and shoot camera for taking vacation shots in Europe at the end of the month. I'm looking for the sweetspot between performance and price. Anything above 7 mpx will be fine.

I'm thinking there must be canadian online retailer still moving out older stock. Are there any you'd vouch for?

Also, any suggestions on make and model appreciated.
Henrys (although they are a bit overpriced)
www.thecamerastore.ca
www.simonscamera.com
www.mcbaincamera.com

And there's always Vistek which a bit over priced as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
twopointfivebar wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 3:35 pm
I heard we don't have to pay duties on cameras/camera equipment when ordered from the US. Just GST. Is this true?
Yes, this is true. Camera gear is DUTY free.

You do need to pay brokerage and GST. Difference companies charge differently between services as well.

Avoid UPS/FEDEX ground.

I have had great success with USPS. Canada poast may hit you with GST and their handling fee is upto $8 now I believe. Much better than paying the 40-50% brokerage UPS has been known to charge sometimes.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
SENSEI wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 3:54 pm

You do need to pay brokerage and GST. Difference companies charge differently between services as well.

Avoid UPS/FEDEX ground.

I have had great success with USPS. Canada poast may hit you with GST and their handling fee is upto $8 now I believe. Much better than paying the 40-50% brokerage UPS has been known to charge sometimes.
What about shipping within Canada. If I'm purchasing from someone on a lens, does shipping company matter?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
Eyies wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 4:27 pm
What about shipping within Canada. If I'm purchasing from someone on a lens, does shipping company matter?
Doesn't matter at all.
There is only one flat rate there. No duties/brokerage/taxes within the same country.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
3363 posts
23 upvotes
SENSEI wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 4:29 pm
Doesn't matter at all.
There is only one flat rate there. No duties/brokerage/taxes within the same country.
That's what I thought, just making sure - thanks!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3770 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
SENSEI wrote:

IIRC you pay PST as well. Items coming from the USA are taxed the same as if you bought them in your province (i.e. things like books that are PST-exempt in Ontario are also PST-exempt at the border).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
[OP]
Nov 11, 2005
255 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the posts. What quality models would you recommend? I don't want to break the bank, 7mpx is fine and I want a really well made and designed camera.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2018 posts
257 upvotes
Canada
Although I haven't personally completed an online order with them, I would look at Blacks or thecamerastore. Both should be reliable companies to place an order.
Sep 21, 2007
389 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
SENSEI wrote:

Avoid UPS/FEDEX ground.

Not true !

I have purchased some lenses($700) from US stores online and they were shipped by USPS. When I went to pick it up I have to pay duty fees on it.

Duty fees are calculated on everything you get from US. If you get item for way to low price there what you have here they will charge you some fees to make it even. Every time I get something from US I will pay fees on it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
euua wrote:
Sep 11th, 2008 9:42 pm
If you get item for way to low price there what you have here they will charge you some fees to make it even.
i lol'd

are you sure it wasn't the GST/PST?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2002
2849 posts
124 upvotes
Markham
euua wrote:
Sep 11th, 2008 9:42 pm
Not true !

I have purchased some lenses($700) from US stores online and they were shipped by USPS. When I went to pick it up I have to pay duty fees on it.

Duty fees are calculated on everything you get from US. If you get item for way to low price there what you have here they will charge you some fees to make it even. Every time I get something from US I will pay fees on it.
What you probably paid was GST and a hefty brokerage fee. This has nothing to do with duty.

Photography equipment (lenses and bodies) are duty free.
They should not have charged you duty. My girlfriend works in custom brokerage and knows all the HS codes and what duties are applicable.

If your item was labeled misc photo equipment, there is 5% duty on that. Cameras and lenses have no duty on them.

Again, this only applies to Canada/US border...if you import from UK, Europe, Australia, there are different rules that apply.

Note: Duty is NOT the same as taxes and NOT the same as brokerage fee.

Found the publication here:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commer ... 90-eng.pdf

Page 5 and 6 pertain most to what most people import as "photographic gear"