• Mar 9th, 2017 2:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1762 posts
404 upvotes
Unionville, ON

The truth about Daniel Wellington watches

As I notice more and more of my friends talking and some even buying these so called "timeless classic" watches, I did a little digging and found the following:

The watch uses Citizen Miyota movement worth $5-$10 USD online. The actual founder, named Filip Tysander who went backpacking abroad (he's from Sweden) met a guy wearing a NATO (cheap nylon) strap with a Rolex, who's actually named Daniel Wellington. The real DW has no association with the company other than his name being used. The watch itself is assembled in Shenzen, China using movement/engine made in Japan. The design is nothing original as there are other 3rd party brands that uses the same minimalist look of a DW watch. Unfortunately, truth be told, DW is nothing but a fashion watch brand made for cheap (less than $15 my guess) and marked up to the sub $300 range, using hype and social media branding to sell to unknowing consumers. They are known to give away watches to bloggers and celebrities to hype up the brand, kind of like Dr. Dre Beats, as another example.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ap-watches

My personal opinion, DW watches are overpriced and all hype. You're essentially spending $250-$300 for the look and the look only. Do yourself a favor and buy a Seiko, or Citizen for the same price range.
46 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The RFD community has participated in this hype bigtime.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1762 posts
404 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Becks wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 8:06 am
The RFD community has participated in this hype bigtime.
Yeah, in my searches I found an older RFD thread where they were giving away a "free" NATO strap that according to them was worth $35 (it wasn't...) lol
Oct 15, 2010
291 posts
38 upvotes
You can find the unbranded version on Alibaba and other online stores for like $3. Because that is how much they are worth.
This topic has been discussed on these forums previously I believe.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4371 posts
680 upvotes
Fashion garbage.

Works well for guys in their early 20s looking for style at a low cost. That's it. Just like Zara and Banana Republic and Aldo and M2M online suit shops ... Garbage quality and low price, but modern and 'sharp' looks for guys who don't make much (are in school?) to look 'good enough' to the opposite sex who themselves don't know what's what.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Oct 15, 2010
291 posts
38 upvotes
Premium wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 5:37 pm
What about Orient watches?
IMO Orient makes quality watches with Japanese movements
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing new, who would buy watches made by a 3rd tier company anyways.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6464 posts
877 upvotes
Unfortunately, a lot of people that didn't know better. They just see an English sounding watch brand that is priced for hundreds of dollars and probably say on fb or ig before, so they think it must be good. They would never even look into odd sounding brands like Seiko and they believe the DW will carry them over until someday they saved enough to buy the best watch ever made - Rolex.
95thRifles wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 7:49 pm
Nothing new, who would buy watches made by a 3rd tier company anyways.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4371 posts
680 upvotes
hdom wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 11:14 pm
Unfortunately, a lot of people that didn't know better. They just see an English sounding watch brand that is priced for hundreds of dollars and probably say on fb or ig before, so they think it must be good. They would never even look into odd sounding brands like Seiko and they believe the DW will carry them over until someday they saved enough to buy the best watch ever made - Rolex.
Nailed it.

The proletariat masses. Lol.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1445 upvotes
Pickering
Never heard of it. Looks like all the people wearing them are victims of the internet. People love to consult and believe the internet as gospel. As great as a source as the internet is for knowledge, it is also a source for spreading stupidity like a virus. The funny thing is people that are fashion consultants wear crap watches. No matter how well you dress and how you carry yourself, wearing a POS watch like it is something important will be your undoing if you are dealing with a watch enthusiast.

Even name brands you think are good can make you look like an idiot. Look at this:

Looks great and is a great brand right? Swiss to boot! IWC was started by an American. The watch sells itself as a watch for a yacht, yet doesn't feature a regatta timer. The rubber band suggests diver, not boating/yachting. Guaranteed someone will be wearing it with a suit and showing it off.

A great everyday watch for most any occasion? An Aqua Terra is an example.

Obviously Aqua means water and Terra means land. The lines on the dial are said to emulate those of an old wooden boat (supposedly) and it looks good with a regular shirt to a dress shirt. Do you need an Omega? Sure!! but if you can't afford one, there are many similar styles available from decent lower tier brands.

A crappy battery powered Bauhaus inspired watch with a NATO strap makes no sense. A military strap on a watch with zero capabilities to be used for timing any event on a watch people wear with fashion forward clothing?

Dec 17, 2014
270 posts
58 upvotes
Eastern Canada
If you want an affordable Bauhaus inspired watch get a Rodina...j friends don't let friends wear daniel wellington.
Feb 4, 2016
53 posts
4 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
JKKim2983 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 4:23 am
As I notice more and more of my friends talking and some even buying these so called "timeless classic" watches, I did a little digging and found the following:

The watch uses Citizen Miyota movement worth $5-$10 USD online. The actual founder, named Filip Tysander who went backpacking abroad (he's from Sweden) met a guy wearing a NATO (cheap nylon) strap with a Rolex, who's actually named Daniel Wellington. The real DW has no association with the company other than his name being used. The watch itself is assembled in Shenzen, China using movement/engine made in Japan. The design is nothing original as there are other 3rd party brands that uses the same minimalist look of a DW watch. Unfortunately, truth be told, DW is nothing but a fashion watch brand made for cheap (less than $15 my guess) and marked up to the sub $300 range, using hype and social media branding to sell to unknowing consumers. They are known to give away watches to bloggers and celebrities to hype up the brand, kind of like Dr. Dre Beats, as another example.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ap-watches

My personal opinion, DW watches are overpriced and all hype. You're essentially spending $250-$300 for the look and the look only. Do yourself a favor and buy a Seiko, or Citizen for the same price range.
you only just found out about this now......? wow
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
JKKim2983 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2016 4:23 am
...DW is nothing but a fashion watch brand made for cheap (less than $15 my guess) and marked up to the sub $300 range, using hype and social media branding to sell to unknowing consumers...
I saw a huge Daniel Wellington ad at a bus stop shelter. Are they now advertising through traditional channels now? Are they taking out full page ads in magazines?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.