The truth about Daniel Wellington watches

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 2:34 pm
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
5835 posts
1193 upvotes
aGincourt
If you buy any fashion watches like DW, MK or Fossil you're probably a dumb*** anyways
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4478 posts
760 upvotes
Swswswish wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 7:19 pm
If you buy any fashion watches like DW, MK or Fossil you're probably a dumb*** anyways
Don't make fun of my Rolex, brosef.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Guru
Jun 30, 2006
14170 posts
2523 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a knockoff for $5. That's what it's worth.
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
10090 posts
910 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
I wonder if the real DW sued his azz for using his name and not paying the guy. Hope he has a royalty agreement in place or equity share or both.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7628 posts
978 upvotes
Toronto
Swswswish wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 7:19 pm
Fossil isn't that bad. I certainly wouldn't pay full price for one though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1771 posts
408 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Becks wrote:
Feb 20th, 2017 6:45 pm
I saw a huge Daniel Wellington ad at a bus stop shelter. Are they now advertising through traditional channels now? Are they taking out full page ads in magazines?
I guess they ran out of shill "vloggers/bloggers" to push their overpriced crap.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16705 posts
1794 upvotes
Montreal
AudiDude wrote:
Feb 15th, 2016 3:05 am
Never heard of it. Looks like all the people wearing them are victims of the internet. People love to consult and believe the internet as gospel. As great as a source as the internet is for knowledge, it is also a source for spreading stupidity like a virus. The funny thing is people that are fashion consultants wear crap watches. No matter how well you dress and how you carry yourself, wearing a POS watch like it is something important will be your undoing if you are dealing with a watch enthusiast.

Even name brands you think are good can make you look like an idiot. Look at this:

Looks great and is a great brand right? Swiss to boot! IWC was started by an American. The watch sells itself as a watch for a yacht, yet doesn't feature a regatta timer. The rubber band suggests diver, not boating/yachting. Guaranteed someone will be wearing it with a suit and showing it off.

A great everyday watch for most any occasion? An Aqua Terra is an example.

Obviously Aqua means water and Terra means land. The lines on the dial are said to emulate those of an old wooden boat (supposedly) and it looks good with a regular shirt to a dress shirt. Do you need an Omega? Sure!! but if you can't afford one, there are many similar styles available from decent lower tier brands.

A crappy battery powered Bauhaus inspired watch with a NATO strap makes no sense. A military strap on a watch with zero capabilities to be used for timing any event on a watch people wear with fashion forward clothing?

Mr. Dude, can I call you Audi?

Your Omega costs more to service than these Daniel Boone watches at MSRP. I usually don't slum in the fashion watch threads, what are you doing?

That being said, I do put some of my cheap watches on NATO:
IMG_20170218_110051.jpg
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11080 posts
1531 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why is there a pic of Vanilla Ice in this thread?

And, can someone start a thread titled, "The truth about Saxx underwear" ?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
1163 posts
303 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I see this brand at Winners all the time. The price didn't justify for an unknown brand so I never got around to them.
Oct 13, 2009
212 posts
46 upvotes
North York
Becks wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 4:44 pm
Why is there a pic of Vanilla Ice in this thread?

And, can someone start a thread titled, "The truth about Saxx underwear" ?
Almost sounds like a hit TV show. Add Tone Loc.....mannn!!!!!!

Saxx underwear ads featuring Ice and Loc doooood
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4030 posts
330 upvotes
I think most people consider $300 watches to be entry level, nothing special. I'm not a watch snob trying to act like only $10,000 & up watches are considered "nice", but I don't think many people care much for a $300 watch. As such, I don't see the big deal that they're made cheaply/poorly
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11080 posts
1531 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Becks wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 4:44 pm
Why is there a pic of Vanilla Ice in this thread? ...
Oh, it is because Vanilla Ice has the same pompador hairstyle as the guy with the watch. :P
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jul 5, 2003
220 posts
19 upvotes
Regina
HP_John wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 7:12 pm
I think most people consider $300 watches to be entry level, nothing special. I'm not a watch snob trying to act like only $10,000 & up watches are considered "nice", but I don't think many people care much for a $300 watch. As such, I don't see the big deal that they're made cheaply/poorly
For many people, $300 is a lot of money to waste on a "cheaply/poorly" made watch. For that price (or even less), you can get a decent Seiko/Citizen/Orient automatic. Not some garbage fashion quartz that probably costs $10 to make.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2005
4349 posts
523 upvotes
In Europe Daniel Wellington is actually fairly well known brand like Michael Kors watch...
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2752 posts
579 upvotes
LONDON
pennypincher wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2017 7:55 pm
For many people, $300 is a lot of money to waste on a "cheaply/poorly" made watch. For that price (or even less), you can get a decent Seiko/Citizen/Orient automatic. Not some garbage fashion quartz that probably costs $10 to make.
More like $2-$3, max $5 to produce, because $2 is how much you can buy similar watches for on aliexpress, the rest of the cost is probably spent on advertising. More money is probably spent to advertising the watch than producing it. Such a clever clever cash grab, or should I say, too many gullible people.