Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2004
2812 posts
21 upvotes

The Truth about Value Village

I thought I would make a post in this section regarding Value Village as there has recently been some discussion in the freebies section regarding donating clothing ... and some people just don't seem to get it ...

if you are under the impression that Value Village is somehow a non profit organization worthy of your support think again and have a look at what people who do understand how they operate have to say http://www.retailworker.com/node/27311

http://www.retailworker.com/node/24429
Share:
82 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5603 posts
1482 upvotes
Value Village masquerade under the guise of "The Canadian Diabetes Foundation" when soliciting donations. They proudly proclaim that "a portion of all proceeds is donated to charity" AFAIK the portion is somewhere in the 10% range.

IMHO the owner(s) have figured out the perfect scam. Imagine running a business where all of your stock is donated and you donate 10% of the profit to charity that you make selling other people's merchandise and you get to keep the other 90% less the cost of running the business & by donating the 10% you get the right to say you are soliciting donations on behalf of a registered charity!

The best thing about Value Village is the fact that they will accept just about anything short of garbage as a donation. So, if you have old computer monitors etc that don't work and your residential waste pickup won't accept them. Simply donate them to Value Village and the crap is off your hands. :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
1508 posts
1 upvote
lol
now i dont feel so bad about occasionally stealing shoes from there
:D
Banned
Jul 23, 2006
1058 posts
How much do you think it costs to run the store?
Is there something wrong with running a business for a bit of a profit?
Many people benefit from the low prices.
Then charities get 10% of the proceeds.

Ant yet again there are people that want to abuse the organization by recommending that you donate junk that your garbage pick-up won't take - great ethics folks.
And if you are a Dee - Please don
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes
Off topic, their stores smells.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
5603 posts
1482 upvotes
bottomfeeder wrote:Ant yet again there are people that want to abuse the organization by recommending that you donate junk that your garbage pick-up won't take - great ethics folks.
Another guy's junk is somebody elses' treasure. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a dead 28 in stereo Toshiba TV there for $7.99. (so it was obviously somebody's garbage). I took it in and had it repaired for $70 and it is still working today.

The trick with Value Village is to find something there that the staff had no idea of it's worth. For example:

I purchased (at VV) a Magnum Dynalab FM tuner for $7 (works perfectly), a Systemdek turntable with Grace tonearm and Grado cartridge for $14.99 (in perfect working order).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2005
5862 posts
111 upvotes
Stinky Village!!!
Dec 11, 2005
371 posts
jonkaho wrote:Stinky Village!!!
LOL. too funny! :D
Sep 5, 2005
973 posts
Ottawa
Wow, I had no idea they were masquarading as the Canadian Diabetes Association. I've donated plenty to them in the past assuming that they clothes were resold BY the CDA, a non-profit organization and all proceeds were given towards diabetes research. It's a whole other ballgame when really it's VV picking up the goods, selling them in their store FOR A PROFIT, and then passing on a certain percentage towards diabetes research. While I have nothing against profits, capitalism, people willingly dropping off crap at VV, etc - it's this deception that sickens me. I guess you can say that I should have researched what exactly the "CDA" does, or where the clothes go to and who benefits most from my donations. I should have put 2 and 2 together since there are no CDA stores.

I won't be donating again, and next time I'll have them remove me from their contact list.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4710 posts
347 upvotes
Victoria
I don't know I mean people get to drop off their junk for free and other people get sweet deals on stuff. People get jobs and some charities benefit. Doesn't sound like a bad business to me.
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
966 upvotes
Niagara Falls
The amount that charities actually recieve is miniscule. It's not just CDA that has a contract with VV. Any charity that calls looking for donations is a safe bet that they have a contract with VV. The only exceptions that I can think of at the moment would be Goodwill and The Salvation Army as they run their own stores. It's 10% to all the charities, not to each charity.

Personally, we have noticed that when VV first came on the scene there were deals to be had on everything in the store. In the last few years that is no longer the case. When they want $15 for a little girls dress because it had a Roots label in it, I call that greed. I have seen crappy, old couches that look like they were used in student housing ( :-0 ) have $150 price tags on them. They were so bad and I swear you could wring a keg of beer out them!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6790 posts
298 upvotes
Ottawa
This is a total shocker to me! I had no clue this was going on but like epiphony said we should have piece it together as there was no CDA stores in Canada. My mom loves donating to them, she donated all of our old baby clothes etc.. Some of them were in excellent condition too. :( I still wonder what they did with my old favourite clothes, haha but I guess somebody else is enjoying them now. I can say this, I won't be donating to the CDA again that's for sure!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
Actually,
the Diabetes Foundation makes a couple MILLIONS off the stuff VV sells for them!
I know this because I went to one of their fundraising meetings to do a marathon and we were told this by the head office people in Ottawa!

Also, I don't think most of the money they raise goes towards research, I think alot of it goes towards Education, Activism and printed materials.
I think most of the research is still funded byt he Government and private companies unfortunately.

If anyone is interested, here is the link to the Diabetes Foundation Financial Statements.......

http://www.diabetes.ca/Section_Main/about.asp

-actually now that I looked at the statement, they are very incomplete and a note at the bottom states that it is only an "extract" from their statements...kinda misleading in a way...

But it does state they spend more on Fundraising, Administration and running their foundaton than on research :twisted:
...so really you are supporting their educational programs when you donate..still a good thing, but maybe not what everyone wants

------------------------------------------------------------------
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
If I want to donate stuff I usually leave it out on the sidewalk where I live with a sign...my stuff is usually taken within 30 min as there is alot of poorer ppl in the area I live in.

or if I have clothing to donate, it usually goes to friends, aquaintances or church groups/shelters first if I can help it....
This user has no signature! :| :| :|