• Jul 9th, 2008 1:36 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 22, 2008
15 posts
London

Trying to decide.....opinion please..thankyou

Been reading alot about SuperZooms, and getting more confusing, the more i read, the more choices, boil down to 3. Price difference is about $50 between the 3,
-[rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] PowerShot S5IS
-Panasonic DMC-FZ8
-Sony Cyber-Shot H7,
mostly will be use for taking family pics and kids sports events (indoors)
What do you suggest???
Thankyou
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3122 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
Panasonic looks promising but I would suggest the Canon Powershot S5IS. I have the previous model S3IS and I love it as my backup for my DSLR. The only thing I don't like about the Panasonic and Sony for that matter is it uses proprietary batteries. The Canon PS S5IS uses 4 AA batteries. If I would choose, I would buy the Canon Powershot S5IS because it is the cheapest, takes awesome pictures, battery isn't proprietary, has a hot-shoe for external flash, has flip out and twist LCD screen, etc.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare ... 7&show=all

edit: I know this shouldn't be part of the decision making process but I think Sony is damn fugly.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2006
1244 posts
10 upvotes
I am also trying to decide:

Canon s5si

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Digital Camera (lack of optical zoom but compact design)

Nikon D40 Enterprise DSLR but kind of pricy...

now reader's suggestion?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5973 posts
408 upvotes
BC
i just did a comparison between the panasonic and canon for a friend... they are pretty much the same. main 2 differences are the batteries and the panasonic can shoot raw.

so from there i guess it depends on which is more important to you.
myself, i would go canon.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2498 posts
99 upvotes
i had the S5 and it's a great camera if you don't want to go the dslr route. zoom is great. quality is great. full manual controls. and i definitely liked that it used AA batteries. always had a set of rechargables on me that would last me a whole day of shooting.
[OP]
May 22, 2008
15 posts
London
Thankyou all,
I am leaning towards the Canon, how does it perform indoors?? With or without flash using Auto settings?
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3122 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
thats__it wrote:
Jul 8th, 2008 1:01 pm
Thankyou all,
I am leaning towards the Canon, how does it perform indoors?? With or without flash using Auto settings?
I guess it would be mediocre compared to having an external flash. I wasn't too happy with my S3IS performance in terms of flash and wanted to get the external flash. With any camera, it is always better to have an external flash but it all depends on how dark/size of the room is.
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1133 posts
44 upvotes
zfmduel wrote:
Jul 8th, 2008 5:22 am

Canon s5si

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Digital Camera (lack of optical zoom but compact design)

now reader's suggestion?
I recently bought a Nikon D40. Great starter SLR!
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3122 posts
107 upvotes
Mississauga
zfmduel wrote:
Jul 8th, 2008 5:22 am

Canon s5si

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18

now reader's suggestion?
You should of started your own thread. But from your selection I would pick Canon Powershot S5IS. Also why did you add Nikon D40? The first 3 are point and shoot while the D40 is an entry level DSLR. If I had a choice from your list I would pick the D40 actually but I don't think you are looking to go that route.