Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1029 posts
288 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Trying to make sense of Avion...

Ive used Avion for flights a few times before with no issues and having issues this time. Any tips?

Basically trying to book YYZ-JNB in business class. I am aware of the booking classes available/airline direct costs for the flights I want. As per Avion Africa is 100,000 points /up to 2k per ticket. Flights I want run around $3900. When I log on to my Avion account they are asking for 100,000 points AND $6,300 per ticket? Would I not be subject to pay $1900 ish?

I haven't used Avion for J class in a few years only Y.

Am I missing something?
8 replies
Feb 7, 2017
985 posts
521 upvotes
Call them...

Sounds like some sort of computer glitch

In this case better to hear from the horse's mouth... Than a bunch of jackasses on the Internet

You'll find Avion Travel CSR phone numbers on the website FAQ page
May 28, 2012
9371 posts
1748 upvotes
Saskatoon
^I think there's a fee for telephone service from Avion. It changed a few years back if I recall correctly.
Feb 7, 2017
985 posts
521 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2017 11:44 pm
^I think there's a fee for telephone service from Avion. It changed a few years back if I recall correctly.
Ya according to the website the fee is $ 30.

But if the OP has tried to make the booking several times and the same crap comes up... Then there is a computer glitch, in which case the talk with the Booking Agent should be free

Proof might be requested ... OP may need to do a print out or screen shot to waive the fee
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1029 posts
288 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Just wanted to say- I called Avion a few times over the past 2 days. Some agents simply said they were having computer issues- others were able to pull up the fares but also mentioned they were unreasonably high. I was told to check again today / call back. They mentioned they will waive the fee for my troubles.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27645 posts
3801 upvotes
Ottawa
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Jul 15th, 2017 11:10 am
Just wanted to say- I called Avion a few times over the past 2 days. Some agents simply said they were having computer issues- others were able to pull up the fares but also mentioned they were unreasonably high. I was told to check again today / call back. They mentioned they will waive the fee for my troubles.
If they cannot help you when you call, then perhaps it is what it is.
Unreasonably high may be what the ticket prices are.
With Avion, you pay the posted ticket price as opposed to Aeroplan where you only have a few seats to choose from or, you use Market price and get your seats....at a much higher points requirement.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1593 posts
138 upvotes
Just booked two tickets from TO to MAD and back from LIS. Called in to discuss how to do it and make sure. When they told me it was $30/ticket, I said I'd try myself. They were very nice about it and explained how to book. I went on line and booked through RBC rewards.
They used all my points and charged me the difference.
The only caveat I have is that in retrospect, I should have used an option they have that allows you to book on the airlines site and pay full price, then Avion credits you cc back the points value on the card. Found this out subsequent to booking.
I'm just a tad uncomfortable now that I've booked with a third party and the trip is not logged in on my AC account as a booking. Seems I'll have to deal with Avion and not AC for any issues and stuff.
Live and learn.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1029 posts
288 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
sam123 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:42 am
Just booked two tickets from TO to MAD and back from LIS. Called in to discuss how to do it and make sure. When they told me it was $30/ticket, I said I'd try myself. They were very nice about it and explained how to book. I went on line and booked through RBC rewards.
They used all my points and charged me the difference.
The only caveat I have is that in retrospect, I should have used an option they have that allows you to book on the airlines site and pay full price, then Avion credits you cc back the points value on the card. Found this out subsequent to booking.
I'm just a tad uncomfortable now that I've booked with a third party and the trip is not logged in on my AC account as a booking. Seems I'll have to deal with Avion and not AC for any issues and stuff.
Live and learn.
I had to change our travel dates but the new travel dates seem to work.

I didn't know Avion allowed you to book through the airline website and be credited? I thought the only other option was to redeem at 100 Avion pts = $1?
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1593 posts
138 upvotes
After I booked, I wanted to see what it would cost to to go in Prem Eco and return in Eco for another couple who considered joining us. So they transferred me to the "Special Dept.". That's where the csr mentioned it, but no one repeated it. Yeah, I also converted at the 100 to 1 rate. Still, it took care of 90% of the upgrade to Prem. both ways.