Trying to replace washer in outdoor spigot

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2019 5:27 pm
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
244 posts
29 upvotes

Trying to replace washer in outdoor spigot

My outdoor spigot is getting old and I need to replace the washer because a slight bit of water keeps going through the hose even when I turn off the tap.

I am now stuck as I cannot remove the valve stem / bonnet and cannot to the washer.

I removed the nut that holds down the valve stem but the stem just seems to be stuck in there. I can move it around a bit, but it just doesn't want to come out no matter how much force I put on it

Any ideas?
Images
  • jrl1waalxof31.jpg
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2799 posts
1003 upvotes
Pull the whole thing out and replace with a freeze proof quarter turn faucet. They can be purchased for pex fittings, crimp a foot or two of pex on the end, then make the final attachment with a sharkbite to your copper inside the house.

Thirty bucks plus an hour or so to do it, and you are good for a few decades.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
244 posts
29 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm just hoping to replace the washer. Any ideas how to get this guy out of the faucet?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6060 posts
1697 upvotes
Whitby
flair.14 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 7:12 am
I removed the nut that holds down the valve stem but the stem just seems to be stuck in there. I can move it around a bit, but it just doesn't want to come out no matter how much force I put on it

Any ideas?
You removed the packing nut, now unthread the cartridge to remove it. Stick handle back onto the end and turn counter clockwise.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
244 posts
29 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 9:24 am
You removed the packing nut, now unthread the cartridge to remove it. Stick handle back onto the end and turn counter clockwise.
I turn and turn but nothing gives. Do I need to pull out while turning? I tried pulling out while turning but I am wondering if I am causing more harm than good.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
244 posts
29 upvotes
Done all the steps up to 1:30 in the video. I am having difficulties taking out piece at 1:40 of the video. It's stuck in my spigot.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5904 posts
2247 upvotes
Alberta
Grab it with a pair of pliers and give it a hard yank. It's probably stuck because there is a buildup of minerals on the internal parts. I had to do that on mine.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11219 posts
10552 upvotes
Oakville
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 10:24 am
Grab it with a pair of pliers and give it a hard yank. It's probably stuck because there is a buildup of minerals on the internal parts. I had to do that on mine.
+1. Maybe try soaking it with CLR or vinegar. Make sure your push on the rest of the fixture while pulling out the cartridge.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2007
244 posts
29 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 10:24 am
This trick worked and I fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9134 posts
563 upvotes
Toronto
fieldhousehandyman wrote:
Aug 11th, 2019 8:22 am
Pull the whole thing out and replace with a freeze proof quarter turn faucet. They can be purchased for pex fittings, crimp a foot or two of pex on the end, then make the final attachment with a sharkbite to your copper inside the house.

Thirty bucks plus an hour or so to do it, and you are good for a few decades.
i did the samething with my house front and back facets
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."