• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2013 10:47 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1649 upvotes
Had a similar question too, for TD Waterhouse, if I "sell" a mutual fund, does it get sold at the price I clicked the sell button, even though it shows up 3-4 days later? Same thing for buying?
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
1491 posts
800 upvotes
TORONTO
masoud100 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2013 7:34 pm
The mutual fund I bave has an MER of 1.72 but the avg annual return is over 8.5 and MER has been supposedly taken out. So technically of it makes more than 3 percent it woild be good.
Since you seem to be very new at investing, you should know that an investment in a mutual fund isn’t guaranteed, and historical performance may not be indicative of future returns. This information was disclosed to you in the mutual fund's simplified prospectus, but you might not have read it.
masoud100 wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 5:45 pm
Ok I invested the first $1000 maybe 40 days ago. How long should pass since I should get worried about the grants not coming in.
Sigh. You need to learn how to read.

You even quoted sirex's response where sirex answered your question: "like 60 days".

Now, if you don't believe sirex, go ahead and say that, otherwise your question was answered.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3879 posts
765 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 7:27 pm
Had a similar question too, for TD Waterhouse, if I "sell" a mutual fund, does it get sold at the price I clicked the sell button, even though it shows up 3-4 days later? Same thing for buying?
Buy and sell at the day's closing price of the fund. Settlement in 3 business days for both buy and sell.
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2011
1913 posts
177 upvotes
Ottawa
M8Rxmjsik wrote:
Nov 24th, 2013 8:51 pm
Since you seem to be very new at investing, you should know that an investment in a mutual fund isn’t guaranteed, and historical performance may not be indicative of future returns. This information was disclosed to you in the mutual fund's simplified prospectus, but you might not have read it.

Sigh. You need to learn how to read.

You even quoted sirex's response where sirex answered your question: "like 60 days".

Now, if you don't believe sirex, go ahead and say that, otherwise your question was answered.
I knaow mutual funds is not guaranteed. But with over a 15 year outllook I am guessing I will make money. Ytd the fund made an annual return of around 8 percent and that includes the 2008 crash were it lost a lot of money. If I average 4 percent or more annually I am happy.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4523 posts
1614 upvotes
Have you heard of Warren Buffet?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/05/ ... 9820070507

(Keep in mind this was written in 2007)

Even he says the following:

"A very low-cost index is going to beat a majority of the amateur-managed money or professionally-managed money,"

And also this:

"Charlie Munger, Berkshire's vice chairman, said at the press conference that many investors actually fare worse in actively managed funds. He said many funds perform well when they're small, but struggle to keep up when investors chase that early performance, and pour in cash.

"Successful funds attract a massive amount of money, and the later performance typically gets mediocre," he said. "Then they keep publishing returns for the whole period for someone who started 20 years ago.... The reporting has falsehood and folly in it.""