Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Source

canon ef 40mm f/2.8 stm lens $105

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2014 12:24 pm
20 replies
Jan 16, 2005
797 posts
303 upvotes
Would this be considered a "Wide Angle" lens. Daughter has asked for one for her T2i for snowboarding.
May 12, 2011
294 posts
225 upvotes
TO
40mm x 1.6 = 64mm (FF equivalent), so not really a wide angle...
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
2981 posts
1066 upvotes
FrozenPegger wrote: Would this be considered a "Wide Angle" lens. Daughter has asked for one for her T2i for snowboarding.
40mm is hardly wide angle. You're looking for something 18mm and below.
Oct 3, 2005
274 posts
95 upvotes
Edmonton
Not really wide angle.. something 24mm or less would be more like it in that case.

Ordered to use with my SL1, thanks OP. Photoprice.ca shows 220-240 as the best price for this lens usually.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1820 posts
700 upvotes
Canada
If you're going to buy a Canon dSLR during Black Friday from Future Shop, you can get this lens for $49, as stated in flyer.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Get the 10-18mm if you want wide angle
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
vodka wrote: Get the 10-18mm if you want wide angle
+1

Based on all online reviews, the 10-18mm is the current winner for price/performance ratio for wide angle, hands down. I'm just waiting for a sale to pick one up.

As for the 40mm f/2.8, this is one of the best deals I've seen (but there have been a few others in this range). Even on my crop body, I find myself using this lens very infrequently, and favouring my 50mm 1.4 (which I got on a price error a year or two back for $229 IIRC). People like this lens because it's so small, but I've never found the lens length or weight to matter in my usage. If you're looking for a lens to play with (or for video), this is an excellent deal, but if you don't have a 50mm f/1.8 (aka the nifty fifty), I'd recommend waiting for another sub $100 sale on that instead (again, unless video is your usage).
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Feb 8, 2011
665 posts
207 upvotes
Toronto
Bazooka Joe, everytime I find a deal for either lens I keep getting conflicting info.
You say nifty fifty but the other thread that had the 50 on sale said the 40 would be a better choice.
Most of my picture will be inside and of my pup of the fam and such, when I was first looking 50 was the way to go but lately it seems very conflicting these days
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2004
3692 posts
273 upvotes
k1ll4hb33 wrote: Bazooka Joe, everytime I find a deal for either lens I keep getting conflicting info.
You say nifty fifty but the other thread that had the 50 on sale said the 40 would be a better choice.
Most of my picture will be inside and of my pup of the fam and such, when I was first looking 50 was the way to go but lately it seems very conflicting these days
As with many things, it's more of a matter of preference and style of shots. For your use, the 40mm is likely a better choice between the two (40mm or 50mm) due to the wider angle, speed of focus and sharpness wide open, however I find the kit lens (18-55mm) is considerably more useful than the 40mm inside when doing family shots (like say for Christmas gift opening).

On a full frame the 40mm would have a considerable advantage, but on a crop I find both the 40mm and 50mm to be less than ideal for indoor use, so I prefer the faster 50mm. It gives more options in low light, which may or may not be important to you, but during the long winters I find myself doing more night time shooting so the extra speed makes a huge difference to me (I could shoot handheld with the 50mm but not with the 40mm).

There's no "right" or "wrong" answer here, and since this deal is considerably below MSRP and the 50mm deals come up frequently, maybe both are the way to go. Get the 40mm now and pick up the 50mm later.
Everything in moderation... including moderation :twisted:
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Bazooka Joe wrote: +1

Even on my crop body, I find myself using this lens very infrequently, and favouring my 50mm 1.4 (which I got on a price error a year or two back for $229 IIRC). People like this lens because it's so small, but I've never found the lens length or weight to matter in my usage. If you're looking for a lens to play with (or for video), this is an excellent deal, but if you don't have a 50mm f/1.8 (aka the nifty fifty), I'd recommend waiting for another sub $100 sale on that instead (again, unless video is your usage).
I remember this sale (future-shop-store-canon-ef-50mm-f1-4-us ... st18207551). I sold my a couple of days later after running some tests.

1. The 50mm indoors is just not wide enough; heck, I need to be all the way across the room to get more than a face in the picture. It's great for portraits indoors, or anything really outdoors, and great for low light, but you should be aware of what you can do - manage your expectations

2. I also found that wide open, the 50mm@1.4 was not as sharp as the 40mm@2.8. This was disappointing for me and one of the main reasons I sold it; I know, it's not exactly a fair comparison, but I expected better from the 50mm/1.4. This is something I expected as I did read about it before, just wanted to test on my own.

I kept my 40mm 2.8 :)

Incidentally, staples has this on sale very often, and also send $10 off coupons in email (for $100 purchase or higher); this is how I got it.

Cheers
Jun 25, 2006
230 posts
439 upvotes
vodka wrote: I remember this sale (future-shop-store-canon-ef-50mm-f1-4-us ... st18207551). I sold my a couple of days later after running some tests.

1. The 50mm indoors is just not wide enough; heck, I need to be all the way across the room to get more than a face in the picture. It's great for portraits indoors, or anything really outdoors, and great for low light, but you should be aware of what you can do - manage your expectations

2. I also found that wide open, the 50mm@1.4 was not as sharp as the 40mm@2.8. This was disappointing for me and one of the main reasons I sold it; I know, it's not exactly a fair comparison, but I expected better from the 50mm/1.4. This is something I expected as I did read about it before, just wanted to test on my own.

I kept my 40mm 2.8 :)

Incidentally, staples has this on sale very often, and also send $10 off coupons in email (for $100 purchase or higher); this is how I got it.

Cheers
I have the same two comments, but against my 50mm f1.8. Its too narrow for indoors (especially in my small condo), and not very sharp at lower apertures.

I bought the 40mm f2.8 about a month ago from the source for I think $105. Thinking about selling my 50mm, but I would only get about $60 for it, so might as well keep it..
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Keep the 50/1.8 for video work with manual focusing :) It will be nice in low light...

Personally, I have older M42 manual focus lenses that I really enjoy playing with (50/55/58mm) that are 1.7/1.8/2.0 and one has very smooth aperture ring so you can change the DOF on the fly.. pretty neat..
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1771 posts
1666 upvotes
Vancouver
Great price, great lens. Just remember that it's like 64mm fov on a crop sensor so it's almost shoulder crop portrait view. Don't forget the new 24mm pancake which is a much better walk around lens which you can leave on and take all kinds of photos.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)