Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2734 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto

TSX and Frozen Brake?

I normally park my car outside. So this morning the car started fine and started driving. I was approaching a traffic light and wanting to slow down.

Stepped on the brake pedal and it could not be depressed at all!!!! Luckily I used the hand brake and car came to a stop...it was such a scary moment!

Pulled the car aside and stepped on the brake few more times. Pedal could now be fully depressed and brake works.

My car is only five years old and I follow the regular maintenance schedule.

What do you think is wrong with my brake? I am scared to drive my car now really...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
49 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
31571 posts
6183 upvotes
Ottawa
Could be moisture in the fluid. Freezing and being ineffective.
I suggest you get a brake service and a fluid flush.
In the 21st Century deleting history has become far more important than making it. Anonymous
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2734 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
I actually had one done about two years ago at the dealership but perhaps it wasn't done properly...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24409 posts
10771 upvotes
Ottawa
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:12 am
I actually had one done about two years ago at the dealership but perhaps it wasn't done properly...
Or they didn't properly bleed the lines and there's trapped air bubbles.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2379 posts
1645 upvotes
I would say likely too much condensation in the line....when was the last time it was driven? are your rotors rusted even after driving?
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1395 posts
1292 upvotes
GTA
You made it from your parking spot to a stoplight without pressing the brakes at least once before the problem?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2734 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
I drive my car daily...new brake pads and rotors from two yrs.ago and they changed the brake fluids then.

Car has about 175,000km on it.
May 17, 2006
460 posts
34 upvotes
This seems to be a thing with Acuras. FIrst year parking our '08 RDX outside after having a garage for 3 previous years, the same thing happened. Googled and found lots of similar stories. We now just let the car warm up a few seconds longer, and press/release the brake pedal half a dozen times before moving off.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
1395 posts
1292 upvotes
GTA
OP, you pressed the brake to shift out of park, right? Was it frozen then?

If it was "frozen" as in solid ice preventing operation, it would be like that the very first time you touched it too. Ice wound't form as you were driving. It would have already formed overnight.

Maybe it was a momentary glitch of the ABS system, blocking pedal pressure to the calipers. But I doubt it.
Last edited by derass on Jan 11th, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 15, 2014
388 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This used to happend to me with my old toyota 4runner. Can be scary when trying to stop. Your not the only one OP!
Please respond
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2734 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
derass wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:34 am
OP, you pressed the brake to shift out of park, right? Was it frozen then?

If it was "frozen", it would be like that the very first time you touched it too.

Maybe it was a momentary glitch of the ABS system, blocking pedal pressure to the calipers. But I doubt it.

I had no problem shifting out from P to D this morning...I will bring the car in for service tomorrow...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8694 posts
7377 upvotes
Oakville
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:59 am
I normally park my car outside. So this morning the car started fine and started driving. I was approaching a traffic light and wanting to slow down.

Stepped on the brake pedal and it could not be depressed at all!!!! Luckily I used the hand brake and car came to a stop...it was such a scary moment!

Pulled the car aside and stepped on the brake few more times. Pedal could now be fully depressed and brake works.

My car is only five years old and I follow the regular maintenance schedule.

What do you think is wrong with my brake? I am scared to drive my car now really...
If the pedal won't move, then it could be that water has frozen around the master cylinder or pedal linkage, or fluid has frozen in the tubes leaving the master cylinder. I would have a trusted shop flush the fluid, including the ABS module.

I find it unlikely that every caliper was frozen at the same time.

It could also be that you have a vacuum leak, and had no vacuum assist for the brakes, so it could feel like the pedal wouldn't move as it would be much harder to press. In that case, sitting for a minute would allow the engine to catch up and build up vacuum. If that's the case then you should have is serviced ASAP as you don't want then getting worse and losing assist while driving.
It should be easy to diagnose by measuring the vacuum pressure at startup.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8694 posts
7377 upvotes
Oakville
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:53 pm
If the pedal won't move, then it could be that water has frozen around the master cylinder or pedal linkage, or fluid has frozen in the tubes leaving the master cylinder. I would have a trusted shop flush the fluid, including the ABS module.

I find it unlikely that every caliper was frozen at the same time.

It could also be that you have a vacuum leak, and had no vacuum assist for the brakes, so it could feel like the pedal wouldn't move as it would be much harder to press. In that case, sitting for a minute would allow the engine to catch up and build up vacuum. If that's the case then you should have is serviced ASAP as you don't want then getting worse and losing assist while driving.
It should be easy to diagnose by measuring the vacuum pressure at startup.
Another thought, not sure on what the TSX vacuum and PCV system looks like, but if somehow oily water vapour is freezing in the vacuum lines, then it could temporarily block vacuum assist until it melts.