Tags:
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10467 posts
4673 upvotes
Brampton
engineered wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 12:55 pm
Another thought, not sure on what the TSX vacuum and PCV system looks like, but if somehow oily water vapour is freezing in the vacuum lines, then it could temporarily block vacuum assist until it melts.
Yeh that's more likely that some vapor froze up the vacuum line and killed the assist.

Then the question is does the OP even lift (squat)?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4272 posts
1900 upvotes
Toronto
Time to redo the brake fluid change before temp gets even lower to -20C. After that, I would look into getting the master brake cylinder repaired or changed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2840 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Hopefully my repair bill won't be too high tomorrow...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2840 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
Back to my car after work. Started the engine and depressed the brake pedal numerous times. On the first few steps the pedal could be fully depressed. THEN the pedal became hard to depress!!

I then stepped on it few more times and the pedal could be fully depressed...

This is bad...
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:38 pm
Back to my car after work. Started the engine and depressed the brake pedal numerous times. On the first few steps the pedal could be fully depressed. THEN the pedal became hard to depress!!

I then stepped on it few more times and the pedal could be fully depressed...

This is bad...

It's either your brake booster or you have a failing check valve.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14212 posts
3557 upvotes
London
ottofly wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 5:08 pm
..... you have a failing check valve.
+1 Seems to be a known problem in some Acuras with the valve freezing shut

... CUSTOMER STATES THAT ON A COLD START AT ANY TEMP UNDER 10F DEGREES THE BRAKE PEDAL IS ROCK SOLID AND CAN NOT BE MOVED AT ALL UNTIL THE VEHICLE REACHES OPERATING TEMP AND IF THE VEHICLE IS GARAGE KEPT AT AROUND 25F DEGREES IT WILL NOT DO THIS.
CAUSE: PART FAILURE
413199 REPLACED CHECK VALVE FOR BRAKE SYSTEM
46402-TL2-A11 TUBE, MASTER POWER
FC:01701
PART#:46402-TL2-A11
COUNT: 1
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2840 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:14 pm
+1 Seems to be a known problem in some Acuras with the valve freezing shut

... CUSTOMER STATES THAT ON A COLD START AT ANY TEMP UNDER 10F DEGREES THE BRAKE PEDAL IS ROCK SOLID AND CAN NOT BE MOVED AT ALL UNTIL THE VEHICLE REACHES OPERATING TEMP AND IF THE VEHICLE IS GARAGE KEPT AT AROUND 25F DEGREES IT WILL NOT DO THIS.
CAUSE: PART FAILURE
413199 REPLACED CHECK VALVE FOR BRAKE SYSTEM
46402-TL2-A11 TUBE, MASTER POWER
FC:01701
PART#:46402-TL2-A11
COUNT: 1

Will mention this to the dealership tomorrow... Thank you guys...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2840 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
The service tech said my brake fluid needs changing...brake valve is fine. Hopefully this would be it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8597 posts
1014 upvotes
Pump the brakes on a back road before driving at high speeds. Give time for brakes to warm up and make sure they work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2840 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
spike1128 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:49 am
Pump the brakes on a back road before driving at high speeds. Give time for brakes to warm up and make sure they work.

Definitely my new practice...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
2840 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
mebiuspower wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:22 am
Hondas are not what they used to be...
My car is only about 5 yrs. old and certainly didn't expect to have issue like this...very disappointing...
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
DJ Trance AZ wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:33 am
The service tech said my brake fluid needs changing...brake valve is fine. Hopefully this would be it.
This is not the issue unless your sealed system is full of water. There is moisture getting on the check valve which then freezes and cause your symptoms. If this cold weather persists you will experience it again. Get them to at least disperse the mositure on the check valve.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24746 posts
5025 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 8:20 am
Or they didn't properly bleed the lines and there's trapped air bubbles.
LOL what? So two years ago the fluid was flushed and now the air bubbles are appearing? :lol:

Not to mention the fact that air in a brake system will cause a squishy or long pedal or cause the pedal to sink to the floor w/o appropriate braking action, not the opposite.

I really have a hard time posting on here with all the nonsense, I well-remember now why I originally stopped posting on this subforum for so long.

A firm pedal typically points to vacuum/booster failure/lack of assist, not air in the lines. I dunno what people are thinking here sometimes.

Surely a catch can would be the solution though eh? :lol: I mean I hate it to have to be this same poster but c'mon people that don't understand basic hydraulics (or seemingly much about technical and mechanical aspects of automobiles), surely they should be trusted to know enough to post about the intricacies of the combustion process I guess? Not sure what else to do but SMH. RFD's Automotive section ends up looking ridiculous not because of differing opinions )which are fully expected on a forum) but because of people that, from all evidence, have absolutely no idea what they are on about and open their mouths anyway :rolleyes: in regards to matters of fact and science.

As I've said many times I've gone skiing a bunch of times but you know what I haven't got the slightest clue about skis or bindings or any of that stuff because I'm no kind of skiing expert just because I've strapped some on, on occasion. So you don't see me going on a skiing forum going on about what the best bindings or waxes (or whatever the heck skiing people talk about) are. Why? Because I don't know anything about them! So why do we have people here that don't know a thing about cars, engines, and wouldn't know a pushrod from a connecting rod...and cleraly have no respect for science or objectivity come on here and spew a bunch of nonsense and then try to get into arguments about it like they do? C'mon this is basically just trolling and not the funny kind we get from guys like nasa25.

Anyway I'm sure from this particular poster we're now going to get all the reasons why air in brake lines...that was left there two years ago has somehow caused OP's problem of a stiff pedal and no braking action. With all the credentials of probably never having actually worked on a car ever...except perhaps to do expert installs of catch cans I guess.

Glad OP's brakes are at least working fine now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28835 posts
14642 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 3:36 pm
LOL what? So two years ago the fluid was flushed and now the air bubbles are appearing? :lol:

Not to mention the fact that air in a brake system will cause a squishy or long pedal or cause the pedal to sink to the floor w/o appropriate braking action, not the opposite.

I really have a hard time posting on here with all the nonsense, I well-remember now why I originally stopped posting on this subforum for so long.

A firm pedal typically points to vacuum/booster failure/lack of assist, not air in the lines. I dunno what people are thinking here sometimes.

Surely a catch can would be the solution though eh? :lol: I mean I hate it to have to be this same poster but c'mon people that don't understand basic hydraulics (or seemingly much about technical and mechanical aspects of automobiles), surely they should be trusted to know enough to post about the intricacies of the combustion process I guess? Not sure what else to do but SMH. RFD's Automotive section ends up looking ridiculous not because of differing opinions )which are fully expected on a forum) but because of people that, from all evidence, have absolutely no idea what they are on about and open their mouths anyway :rolleyes: in regards to matters of fact and science.

As I've said many times I've gone skiing a bunch of times but you know what I haven't got the slightest clue about skis or bindings or any of that stuff because I'm no kind of skiing expert just because I've strapped some on, on occasion. So you don't see me going on a skiing forum going on about what the best bindings or waxes (or whatever the heck skiing people talk about) are. Why? Because I don't know anything about them! So why do we have people here that don't know a thing about cars, engines, and wouldn't know a pushrod from a connecting rod...and cleraly have no respect for science or objectivity come on here and spew a bunch of nonsense and then try to get into arguments about it like they do? C'mon this is basically just trolling and not the funny kind we get from guys like nasa25.

Anyway I'm sure from this particular poster we're now going to get all the reasons why air in brake lines...that was left there two years ago has somehow caused OP's problem of a stiff pedal and no braking action. With all the credentials of probably never having actually worked on a car ever...except perhaps to do expert installs of catch cans I guess.

Glad OP's brakes are at least working fine now.
Wow, a 1hr post and you still ended up looking stupid.