• Nov 12th, 2017 1:11 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26215 posts
6066 upvotes
GTHA

TTC has announced plans to switch to electric buses

To start, TTC wants to buy 30 "long range battery electric buses" by 2019 at a cost not exceeding $50M.

from http://www.blogto.com/city/2017/11/ttc- ... t-toronto/
The new battery electric buses, as well as 230 requested "new generation hybrid electric buses," would have an expected delivery date of no later than March 31, 2019.

For all these provisos, the TTC is, however, targeting an ambitious date to get emissions free. By 2040, the Commission would like to have phased out all of its older buses and run electric technology exclusively.
43 replies
Jan 19, 2007
613 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
I suggest they should order from Bombardier and the latter to make in the Thunder bay plant. 2040 will be very realistic date for first few...
Nov 8, 2017
82 posts
12 upvotes
Somewhere in Ontario
Does that mean $5 fares are coming in 2018? HA! This city should actually work toward allowing car traffic to flow and repave some streets and make the streetscape sexier by doing some vegetation and landscaping. Public transit is mostly waste, didn't they spend billions on VIVA in York Region just to create more congestion along the Hwy 7 route?

I only use the TTC on a must-do basis, usually on weekends, and the last two times I dared to waste my time on the virus ridden tubes under Bloor, we were forced out due to constant shut-downs and the last time the delay was so bad I just walked to my final destination. Can I have my $3 back, please? I could have used that to buy two litres of gas. I cringe at the thought of having to use public transit, this region wastes so much money on fixed transit lines that take you to a few spots downtown when 80% of the rest of us commute in other ways in totally different directions.
Feb 19, 2017
150 posts
59 upvotes
Good. Buses are a great candidates for early electrification - they have defined routes so range isn't an issue. Depending on the upfront price, this should result in huge fuel savings, and less pollution in the city. This *should* save money - perhaps a lot of money - over the long life of a typical bus.
Apr 11, 2009
66 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto
Fares are still going to go up, doubt we will get any savings
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7104 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
was surprised recently when in montreal and saw a 100% electric bus go buy. It was so quiet it really surprised me. Almost like your body is already used to crutching it's ears when you are close to a bus that's about to accelerate from a stop.

Hopefully they buy from a company that actually builds them on time and doesn't have problems. TTC had major problems with their hybrid busses.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9005 posts
577 upvotes
Mississauga
The writing is already on the wall. Good way to start, no smoke (pollution) and so quiet. No more loud droning along the city. If this is fully electric, their maintenance is going to go down significantly. I hope this pushes infrastructure forward for EVs

Edit: When it arrives, I'm going to try one Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2144 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
Great news. Look forward to the "sorry folks, we have to stop for a few mins to recharge the bus battery" days.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9005 posts
577 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:31 pm
Great news. Look forward to the "sorry folks, we have to stop for a few mins to recharge the bus battery" days.
Proterra’s big electric bus can go 1,102 miles on one charge - 1773.49 Kilometers
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/1633 ... one-charge

But more or likely they buy a bus with a range of around 322KM or more per charge, as what Los Angeles is doing and what BYD makes in California.
https://electrek.co/2017/07/27/los-ange ... ric-buses/
60-ft all-electric bus in the US, which has a 275 miles range on a massive 547 kWh battery pack.

https://www.newflyer.com/2017/10/los-an ... ric-buses/
600 kWh battery capacity obtaining realistic transit ranges of over 200 miles on single charge
Nov 28, 2011
675 posts
180 upvotes
Markham
Who will they order from and what will the cost per bus be? Hopefully there will be proper transparency for those deals
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1472 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
They had electric buses back in the 80's. The Bay St buses were electric that had over head wires like street cars it got power from. They had other routes as well, I just can't remember that far back!

So the drivers smoke breaks at Tim's will be a lot longer now as some Tim's already have quick charging stations!
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
May 7, 2016
227 posts
163 upvotes
some1not wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:30 pm
They had electric buses back in the 80's. The Bay St buses were electric that had over head wires like street cars it got power from. They had other routes as well, I just can't remember that far back!
That's a trolleybus, that still requires a massive over head wires infrastructure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolleybus
This is what Toronto should have done instead of buying new streetcars from Bombardier.

The ones the TTC is buying now have a battery and don't need any wires.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7799 posts
1879 upvotes
Brampton
some1not wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:30 pm

So the drivers smoke breaks at Tim's will be a lot longer now as some Tim's already have quick charging stations!
The Dufferin bus was electric. I specifically remember it because of the bus stop at the ex(looked like the underside of a bumper car booth). They had all sorts of problems tho like the wire constantly popping off the over head during turns.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9005 posts
577 upvotes
Mississauga
bartium wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:45 pm
Who will they order from and what will the cost per bus be? Hopefully there will be proper transparency for those deals
I'm going to guess and they are going to buy from BYD and follow the lead of California. In fact I think I read before that Vancouver already has electric buses and they too bought from BYD.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4320 posts
2920 upvotes
GTA
ConsumerBran wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:48 pm
Does that mean $5 fares are coming in 2018? HA! This city should actually work toward allowing car traffic to flow and repave some streets and make the streetscape sexier by doing some vegetation and landscaping. Public transit is mostly waste, didn't they spend billions on VIVA in York Region just to create more congestion along the Hwy 7 route?

I only use the TTC on a must-do basis, usually on weekends, and the last two times I dared to waste my time on the virus ridden tubes under Bloor, we were forced out due to constant shut-downs and the last time the delay was so bad I just walked to my final destination. Can I have my $3 back, please? I could have used that to buy two litres of gas. I cringe at the thought of having to use public transit, this region wastes so much money on fixed transit lines that take you to a few spots downtown when 80% of the rest of us commute in other ways in totally different directions.
What's your great plan to get more cars through Toronto? Newsflash, it isn't going to happen, so quit moaning and accept transit. The future is removing cars from the road and reducing pollution. Soon enough only electric cars will be allowed downtown.
The future of transit should be high capacity fixed lines with Uber like automated vehicles to get you to the last mile home.
You clearly don't use transit for commuting so of course you're biased. Otherwise you'd be happy to spend 20min on a subway vs 2 hours in a car.
The TTC does suck compared to other cities' transit, but that doesn't mean transit is bad. It just needs to be done better and should be funded better (and run more efficiently (ie. remove the union's power).

Anyhow, you should be happy that so many people take transit, allowing those of us that do to drive around with less traffic. Can you imagine if everyone on transit suddenly started driving? There would be no parking, and you'd be inching along at 1kph everywhere.
Like you I only use TTC to get around town when I'm drunk.