[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
heymikey wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:05 pm
How frequently do the trains come during rush hour? One way of solving overcrowding is to increase the number of trains per hour. Some lines in the London Underground have a frequency of 36 trains an hour (one train every 1.6 minutes) during rush hour.
They are doing this now with automatic train control coming.
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
LNahid2000 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 1:47 pm
The reason the US subsidizes fares so greatly is because public transit is underutilized in most American cities. The ttc is already over capacity at rush hour and we need to increase capacity before we can lower fares to increase transit usage. If we did this now, it would become even more difficult to use the ttc.

One thing we could do as an alternative though is have lower off peak fares. Transit is underutilized in this city outside rush hour, and reducing fares off peak would end up filling vehicles which would otherwise run emptier, which could actually increase revenue.
But how can this be implemented for metropasses?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26204 posts
6062 upvotes
GTHA
heymikey wrote:
How frequently do the trains come during rush hour? One way of solving overcrowding is to increase the number of trains per hour. Some lines in the London Underground have a frequency of 36 trains an hour (one train every 1.6 minutes) during rush hour.
Yonge-University trains run every 2 to 3 minutes during the rush hours and every 4-5 minutes outside the rush hours.

Once automatic train operation is fully operational, TTC staff say they could run about 32 trains per hour.

In the best-case scenario, TTC staff say, they could run about 32 trains per hour when the system is fully operational. That remains an ambitious goal – and will depend on time spent in stations, crew changes and turnaround times at the ends of the line – but one that would represent a huge increase over the current maximum of about 25.

from https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/t ... e35174381/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1079 upvotes
heymikey wrote:
The ttc has obviously thought of this. The trains come as frequently as possible utilizing the existing signalling system during rush hour (25 trains per hour). A new signalling system is currently being installed which would allow for London style frequencies.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1079 upvotes
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:16 pm
But how can this be implemented for metropasses?
It cant and shouldn't. Prices shouldn't change for metropass users until more capacity is available.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 2:18 pm
Yonge-University trains run every 2 to 3 minutes during the rush hours and every 4-5 minutes outside the rush hours.

Once automatic train operation is fully operational, TTC staff say they could run about 32 trains per hour.

In the best-case scenario, TTC staff say, they could run about 32 trains per hour when the system is fully operational. That remains an ambitious goal – and will depend on time spent in stations, crew changes and turnaround times at the ends of the line – but one that would represent a huge increase over the current maximum of about 25.

from https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/t ... e35174381/
It's all about local constraints bottlenecking the whole system. Without first removing the first order constraints, 32 trains/hr is fantacy:
1. The way TTC deal with emergencies and allows trains to be stuck on rail. This happens daily, people prefer to faint by not having breakfast and faint on TTC property. Perhaps more Timmies which offer $1 items.
2. Many platforms are past capacity, the loading/unloading is constraining throughput. The Japanese mastered the art of Jujitsu specifically the way of ropes. TTC is still learning how to carve bones using wood sticks.
3. The Shepard seat mobs would always rush and break the train doors and taking trains out of service. We need Automatic Screen Doors so mob only break the exterior doors not the trains' doors and that's hard idea to grasp.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 2938243353
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Sep 28th, 2017 1:06 pm
So that is why.

Seriously, why make a process to get the cost reduction when in the US, the cost reduction is already right in front of you: subsidized, lowered fares. How they do it here different from that is just stupid. Scrap the damn tax credit thingy, subsidize and lower our damn fares. Sick of paying more for shitty service than Americans do for good service.

No excuse to not subsidize because of funding issues. Canada is NOT A POOR COUNTRY.
I don't see why we must mimic the American ways.

TTC is not permitted to own real estates which generate positive cash flow to self-fund, therefore must rely on cost-attribution i.e. fare vs subsidy.

TTC has massive flow of human bodies through its systems which require constant intakes of liquids and solids, and the need to purge wherever they could reach within the system. All that could have been rent revenues out of TTC direct or adjacent facilities. Now all the large commercial interests are capitalizing on high level of convenience but contributed nothing to TTC or riders.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7968 posts
2812 upvotes
Toronto
Hate those new presto doors, every time I'll see the red X on one of them doors where there's no ttc workers there, that means someone pushed the gates to enter in. The doors stays in X till a staff comes and resets the door.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
I realized that the Sheppard line has had the shitty trains fully replaced by the newer ones.
I wonder how long till the Bloor line.

Biggest evidence that Toronto, Canada is such a failure in public transit is the failure of the Yonge line to even reach Steeles. It is the busiest route you will find in Toronto, they couldn't even do that! It is indisputable that the demand requires it and did back when they built it to where it ends now. So it is outrageous that they never did it.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4178 posts
112 upvotes
Austin/Markham
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:17 am
I realized that the Sheppard line has had the shitty trains fully replaced by the newer ones.

Biggest evidence that Toronto, Canada is such a failure in public transit is the failure of the Yonge line to even reach Steeles. It is the busiest route you will find in Toronto, they couldn't even do that! It is indisputable that the demand requires it and did back when they built it to where it ends now. So it is outrageous that they never did it.
In their defence, at the time North York was a different city, so its not clear who had the call on where it should end. Obviously since the amalgamation and the last 20 years that we've known we'd need it to be expanded, its ridiculous it hasn't got up to 16th.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1079 upvotes
webdoctors wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 5:30 pm
In their defence, at the time North York was a different city, so its not clear who had the call on where it should end. Obviously since the amalgamation and the last 20 years that we've known we'd need it to be expanded, its ridiculous it hasn't got up to 16th.
It can't go up that far until the DRL is built since there isn't enough capacity further down the line.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Anyone else always seek the forward or back facing seats?
I HATE having to control my movement in side facing seats as the vehicle slows down and speeds up. I rather relax, enjoy the ride, than focus on avoiding swaying against other people.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 12:49 pm
Anyone else always seek the forward or back facing seats?
I HATE having to control my movement in side facing seats as the vehicle slows down and speeds up. I rather relax, enjoy the ride, than focus on avoiding swaying against other people.
Is OP trolling own thread?

1. This tread title contained subway, not bus.
2. That convo was done when the new train arrived. It's all about different walks of life "socializing" with each other and max out carrying capacity now.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
3675 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:17 am
I used to ask the same question before, ... but after seeing NYC, Paris and London subway systems, now I ask myself why the hell are they changing all trains?
Subway systems on those 3 cities operates with different trains on different lines.... there's no need to change the whole fleet to a newer train model if the old ones can be repaired for much less, and still work okay
They are wasting tons of money that could be used on making elevators to some stations that are currently non-accessible to people in wheelchairs, instead of changing all the subway trains fleet
Even the "shitty" trains on Line 4 are fairly new, (15 years old) and it was irresponsible and a waste of resources to get rid of those and put new trains
Same thing with upgrading the finishes on certain stations... for example Dufferin... why was it necessary to strip all the walls and replace all the tiles?.... unless they had bigger issues with leaks, there was no need to spend all that money for something merely cosmetic that doesn't improve efficiency or mobility issues
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 1:02 pm
Is OP trolling own thread?

1. This tread title contained subway, not bus.
2. That convo was done when the new train arrived. It's all about different walks of life "socializing" with each other and max out carrying capacity now.
Your reply makes no sense. I never even said BUS. And I wrote this from in the SUBWAY.
And what does it matter. This is the TTC thread. This is definitely the TTC I am talking about. It's not a limo or something like that lol