[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
roblombardi wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 3:01 pm
I used to ask the same question before, ... but after seeing NYC, Paris and London subway systems, now I ask myself why the hell are they changing all trains?
Subway systems on those 3 cities operates with different trains on different lines.... there's no need to change the whole fleet to a newer train model if the old ones can be repaired for much less, and still work okay
They are wasting tons of money that could be used on making elevators to some stations that are currently non-accessible to people in wheelchairs, instead of changing all the subway trains fleet
Even the "shitty" trains on Line 4 are fairly new, (15 years old) and it was irresponsible and a waste of resources to get rid of those and put new trains
Same thing with upgrading the finishes on certain stations... for example Dufferin... why was it necessary to strip all the walls and replace all the tiles?.... unless they had bigger issues with leaks, there was no need to spend all that money for something merely cosmetic that doesn't improve efficiency or mobility issues
You know, I was just thinking about what you said, yesterday when I was on it. I thought, these train all work fine. Why do we need to get trains that 'look newer'
Apart from looking better, there are more important things we need to focus on. Increasing service is what we need. We need more transit coverage, not better looking trains lol
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 3:54 pm
Your reply makes no sense. I never even said BUS. And I wrote this from in the SUBWAY.
And what does it matter. This is the TTC thread. This is definitely the TTC I am talking about. It's not a limo or something like that lol
I sure hope you derived pleasure.

High capacity/occupancy is done deal since the Bombardier Rail Transport Department bailout. Next is taking away seats to increase capacity. No idea why you bring that up now, it's not like we will have shorter tracks or less riders.

Implication of extension will burst at the bottlenecks. First response from TTC, find ways to jam even more people per sq ft on train, even if we already had more higher capacity new trains.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 4:00 pm
I sure hope you derived pleasure.

High capacity/occupancy is done deal since the Bombardier Rail Transport Department bailout. Next is taking away seats to increase capacity. No idea why you bring that up now, it's not like we will have shorter tracks or less riders.

Implication of extension will burst at the bottlenecks. First response from TTC, find ways to jam even more people per sq ft on train, even if we already had more higher capacity new trains.
I was talking about opinion on where people like to sit. Nothing about taking away seats. It is a simple question, do you avoid side seats and pick front or back facing ones.
I choose the front and back facing seats because of the movement of the train. When it suddenly slows down or speeds up, you have to make an effort to keep in place. It's just a little easier to sit relaxed without being shifted at all.

My favorite seat on the bus is the middle one at the far back. It is forward facing, and I have all the leg room I could want. On the train, I like the seats where the operator is. Not many people and can stretch my legs!
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26232 posts
6068 upvotes
GTHA
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 7:17 am
I realized that the Sheppard line has had the shitty trains fully replaced by the newer ones.
I wonder how long till the Bloor line.
Read this awhile back (in 2016) regarding the replacement of the Bloor-Danforth line trains...

The next generation of trains for Bloor-Danforth line is not scheduled to enter service until 2026-31, well after the Scarborough Extension is supposed to be open.

from https://stevemunro.ca/2016/01/14/ttc-fleet-plans-2016/

The TTC owns two fleets of subway cars which are assigned to the two major routes on the network:
- The T1 series operates on the Bloor-Danforth line (2), and a few of these cars also operate on Sheppard (4). The T1s now on Sheppard will shift to BD in the next year or so.
- The TR series operates on the Yonge-University-Spadina line (1). Delivery of this fleet is still in progress, and there will eventually be 76 6-car trainsets on YUS, and 6 4-car trainsets on Sheppard replacing the T1s.

The BD fleet of T1s is also larger than required for service because, until the ATC project came along, some of the T1s would have remained on the Yonge line serving the Spadina extension. The excess will not be consumed until the planned 2023 Scarborough extension (SSE) opening. The T1 fleet will be due for replacement in the mid-2020s when it reaches the 30-year lifespan, and the next generation’s order can be sized based on then-known requirements for service. With the T1 fleet, the TTC will only be able to operate every second peak train beyond Kennedy Station onto the SSE, and full service cannot be provided until the TTC has more trains.

roblombardi wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 3:01 pm
Even the "shitty" trains on Line 4 are fairly new, (15 years old) and it was irresponsible and a waste of resources to get rid of those and put new trains
The T1 trains on Line 4 were replaced with new 4 car train sets since Line 4 has Automatic Train Control and the it is not cost effective to upgrade the T1 trains with this system.

The T1 fleet does not easily support conversion to ATC, and this is further complicated by its age. The capital cost of ATC for the T1s would be considerable, and it would be a short-term investment
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2017 8:53 pm
Read this awhile back (in 2016) regarding the replacement of the Bloor-Danforth line trains...

The next generation of trains for Bloor-Danforth line is not scheduled to enter service until 2026-31, well after the Scarborough Extension is supposed to be open.

from https://stevemunro.ca/2016/01/14/ttc-fleet-plans-2016/

The TTC owns two fleets of subway cars which are assigned to the two major routes on the network:
- The T1 series operates on the Bloor-Danforth line (2), and a few of these cars also operate on Sheppard (4). The T1s now on Sheppard will shift to BD in the next year or so.
- The TR series operates on the Yonge-University-Spadina line (1). Delivery of this fleet is still in progress, and there will eventually be 76 6-car trainsets on YUS, and 6 4-car trainsets on Sheppard replacing the T1s.

The BD fleet of T1s is also larger than required for service because, until the ATC project came along, some of the T1s would have remained on the Yonge line serving the Spadina extension. The excess will not be consumed until the planned 2023 Scarborough extension (SSE) opening. The T1 fleet will be due for replacement in the mid-2020s when it reaches the 30-year lifespan, and the next generation’s order can be sized based on then-known requirements for service. With the T1 fleet, the TTC will only be able to operate every second peak train beyond Kennedy Station onto the SSE, and full service cannot be provided until the TTC has more trains.

The T1 trains on Line 4 were replaced with new 4 car train sets since Line 4 has Automatic Train Control and the it is not cost effective to upgrade the T1 trains with this system.

The T1 fleet does not easily support conversion to ATC, and this is further complicated by its age. The capital cost of ATC for the T1s would be considerable, and it would be a short-term investment
Guess it takes long because the trains simply have lots of service life left.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
Why is it that when I enter an above ground station, it has no wifi?
All the above ground stations on the Yonge and spadina line, RT and the 2 above ground stations before you reach the east end of the Danforth line. No wifi until you go downstairs. What is up with that!!
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 6:25 am
Why is it that when I enter an above ground station, it has no wifi?
All the above ground stations on the Yonge and spadina line, RT and the 2 above ground stations before you reach the east end of the Danforth line. No wifi until you go downstairs. What is up with that!!
Cause that's like putting honey in your backyard in the great white North.

Free Wifi=free money
Penalty Box
Aug 23, 2006
2950 posts
186 upvotes
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 11:44 am
From Vaughan to Union in 42 minutes: 'No traffic, no delays' when Line 1 extension opens
Take a sneak peek inside some of the TTC's new stations, set to open in December

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/f ... -1.4377250
I will believe when it happens. I am not sure about 42 minutes. It will be more.
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6719 posts
1080 upvotes
sandeeS wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 11:46 am
I will believe when it happens. I am not sure about 42 minutes. It will be more.
Downsview to Union is only 26 minutes, so 42 minutes isn't surprising.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13726 posts
9223 upvotes
Toronto
LNahid2000 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2017 3:16 pm
Downsview to Union is only 26 minutes, so 42 minutes isn't surprising.
Yeah. Stickers at the free open house on Saturday showed 35 minutes from Pioneer Village station to Union. Add another 7 minutes for last two. The distance between HWY 407 and Vaughan stop seem really short.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
If you live near or north of Vaughan, how do you get to subway by car?

Pioneer village is essentially boxed in by York U, how many parking spots can the space provide?

Vaughan metro centre is much better choice, but I have a feeling the lot is going to explode and back up to the whole way to 400 at peaks.

So your daily 47min commute is probably just enough for you to park and get to Bloor, then another 30 min to Union. Then people complains UPX being faster.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2002
1047 posts
123 upvotes
Went to the open house on Sunday, and took some videos. Stations look decent, but can't believe how long it's taken from planning to actually being open this extension has taken.

Here's one of the videos I took,
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2945 posts
2106 upvotes
Burnaby
^ The stairs look narrow.
yare yare daze...

[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion and advertising]
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4367 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:06 pm
If you live near or north of Vaughan, how do you get to subway by car?

Pioneer village is essentially boxed in by York U, how many parking spots can the space provide?

Vaughan metro centre is much better choice, but I have a feeling the lot is going to explode and back up to the whole way to 400 at peaks.

So your daily 47min commute is probably just enough for you to park and get to Bloor, then another 30 min to Union. Then people complains UPX being faster.
The metropolitan centre station is located in Hwy-7 and Jane area, pioneer village station is Steeles/Settlers Road. Based on the map provided by YRT I don't see there a parking lot (there is is only a kiss a ride area/ passenger drop-off/pickup area). You may want to check this https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-map ... nsion.aspx

The existing double fare rule still apply pay TTC fare when boarding the subway and YRT fare when boarding the YRT Bus including TTC bus operating north of Steeles. I believe the YRT fare is going to increase by $0.25 on January 2018.