None
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26181 posts
6055 upvotes
GTHA
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 5:06 pm
Pioneer village is essentially boxed in by York U, how many parking spots can the space provide?
cgtlky wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 5:03 pm
The metropolitan centre station is located in Hwy-7 and Jane area, pioneer village station is Steeles/Settlers Road. Based on the map provided by YRT I don't see there a parking lot (there is is only a kiss a ride area/ passenger drop-off/pickup area). You may want to check this https://www.yrt.ca/en/schedules-and-map ... nsion.aspx
Pioneer Village station will have commuter parking for 1,881 vehicles. The parking lot and associated access roads are located in the hydro corridor to the north of the station.
from http://ttc.ca/Spadina/Stations/Steeles_ ... /index.jsp
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2006
4361 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:26 pm
Pioneer Village station will have commuter parking for 1,881 vehicles. The parking lot and associated access roads are located in the hydro corridor to the north of the station.
So more or less like the finch station parking lot, you will have to pay $ to parkso nothing now is free after all.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6716 posts
1079 upvotes
cgtlky wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:15 pm
So more or less like the finch station parking lot, you will have to pay $ to parkso nothing now is free after all.
Why should it be free? Building and maintaining parking lots costs money.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:13 pm
TTC test of new signalling system ‘exceeded expectations’
Chief operating officer Mike Palmer says TTC ‘extremely happy’ with how automatic train control system performed. System will eventually increase capacity up to 25 per cent.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transp ... tions.html
25% from 2:30 to 1:55 spacing is just the beginning or min allowable? I read smallest possible is 30 second aka Beijing subway by Siemens.

I think they can but interchanges such as Bloor platform already met peak throughput thus bottleneck.

So if TTC don't address the lost capacity i.e. screen doors or jumpers/fainters, squeezing more trains only means getting to bottlenecks quicker but with longer queue time into station.

Which means, not much gain in sleep time on average.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
tk1000 wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 6:26 pm
2000 spots sounds like a lot but according to wiki, annual average daily traffic (AADT)~"500,000" on 401, say 21K/hr avg but 42K/hr per peak. 5% drop in 401 flow.

So you need 10K more spots to be 25%, which means Metro Centre somehow need to add almost 1 more zero. For 10K spots to be time efficient, you almost had to stack upward or build more exits.

25% should be significant, some will go back to driving while others would choose transit so netting 25% is no easy task.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
cgtlky wrote:
Nov 5th, 2017 7:15 pm
Hopefully not like the finch lot.

https://www.google.ca/maps/search/finch ... a=!3m1!1e3

Only one lane when you leave the lot on Willowdale aka the access roads, and it's backed up to between from Sheppard to Steeles.

They should have widened the entry/exit, and stack vertically. You almost need a shuttle to get from the extreme ends to the station.

Hope TTC would consider make it cheap, zero value to park there. Fairview is much more interesting, which also already exploded.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 10:34 pm
25% from 2:30 to 1:55 spacing is just the beginning or min allowable? I read smallest possible is 30 second aka Beijing subway by Siemens.

I think they can but interchanges such as Bloor platform already met peak throughput thus bottleneck.

So if TTC don't address the lost capacity i.e. screen doors or jumpers/fainters, squeezing more trains only means getting to bottlenecks quicker but with longer queue time into station.

Which means, not much gain in sleep time on average.
I'd say I am willing to wait a little under 2 minutes for a train on a subway platform. Beats waiting for the damn bus for 20 minutes out in the freezing cold!
Merry krizmuss, Merry krizmuss, have a brite and a prospruss nieuw yaar.
May 3, 2005
980 posts
63 upvotes
Woodbridge
So for those of us in Woodbridge/Maple/Vaughan, which station would be best to park at if we need to TTC it downtown? I thought the 407/Jane station was going to have a lot of parking but it seems like Pioneer village will have more based on the website.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3173 posts
283 upvotes
GTA
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:53 am
I'd say I am willing to wait a little under 2 minutes for a train on a subway platform. Beats waiting for the damn bus for 20 minutes out in the freezing cold!
Image TTC subway right now as a cookie monster which swallows up anything but cannot poo...

Bottleneck is bad.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10012 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 6:25 am
Why is it that when I enter an above ground station, it has no wifi?
All the above ground stations on the Yonge and spadina line, RT and the 2 above ground stations before you reach the east end of the Danforth line. No wifi until you go downstairs. What is up with that!!
Because they got paid off by the oligopolies like robbers and bhell. Must... use... cell data... when upstairs or outside. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10012 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
How long did this whole project take? 10yrs? 15yrs?? Damn, in that same time china has put in hundreds of subway lines in over a dozen cities all along the eastern coast from shenzhen all up to beijing with expansion to more cities in the next decade. Building anything in north america is lame. TTC is no exception. TTC STILL doesnt have the trackguards/track gates to prevent suicides which causes a 100 delays a year. This is the norm in any major subway system in asia.

[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:47 am
Because they got paid off by the oligopolies like robbers and bhell. Must... use... cell data... when upstairs or outside. *welp*
Go effin figure! The more I look into things, the more I see signs of corruption in Canada. Just the other day with Rogers internet and the media. Now this. Businesses get away with whatever they want by paying entities to do something that puts us at a disadvantage and money in their pocket. Canada needs stronger anti corruption control because companies controlling us like mad screws things up!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 7, 2012
11448 posts
145 upvotes
abercombie and finch
aznnorth wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:52 am
How long did this whole project take? 10yrs? 15yrs?? Damn, in that same time china has put in hundreds of subway lines in over a dozen cities all along the eastern coast from shenzhen all up to beijing with expansion to more cities in the next decade. Building anything in north america is lame. TTC is no exception. TTC STILL doesnt have the trackguards/track gates to prevent suicides which causes a 100 delays a year. This is the norm in any major subway system in asia.

Canada is so far behind on things, it is mind boggling.

Guy from China comes here and will ask why is this not here, why is that not here?

"They don't gat da money"
"Wait this is Canada right?"
:facepalm:
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10012 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Ilovejaneandfinch wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:06 am
Canada is so far behind on things, it is mind boggling.

Guy from China comes here and will ask why is this not here, why is that not here?

"They don't gat da money"
"Wait this is Canada right?"

:facepalm:
+1000. LOL, this IS exactly what they say. Guess you've spoken to a few. lol. Even wechat is dumbed down here. In china you get like a 100 different functions on that single app like QR scanning/pay, food delivery, water delivery, laundry services, banking, renting bikes, etc., etc.. Here you get nothing. Why?? Becuz the services dont exist in Canada. :twisted: Smiling Face With Horns :twisted: