• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2018 1:23 am
[OP]
Dec 10, 2012
232 posts
67 upvotes
Vancouver

Turbo Tax vs. Tax Service

Wondering what the benefit is to going to H&R Block or an accountant vs using Turbo Tax for a personal return?
I've always used Turbo Tax for years and it works well. Plug in all your T Slips, RSP info, apply deductions and it is pretty straight forward
This year I owe money for the first in a while. Would an H&R Block be able to find me additional tax savings? My gut tells me no but I've never used a tax service like that before.
I'm trying to understand the value proposition relative to the additional cost?
Thanks in advance.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
2613 posts
974 upvotes
Canada
Stay away from both and use Simple Tax instead.
Dec 24, 2007
920 posts
852 upvotes
BC
Nope, speaking as an accountant there are not a lot of deductions for someone who just receives T4 income and some interest income. H&R Block and any other tax accountant wouldn't be able to help you much. Certainly not worth the $100 they will charge even if they find some little amount you might have missed.

SimpleTax is the much easier compared to TurboTax, way more intuitive for the ordinary person.
Nov 6, 2015
711 posts
310 upvotes
Guelph, ON
H & R Block will just plug your numbers into their software, which does the same thing as any other software and will come out with the same results. Basically you're just paying them for data entry, not "expertise".
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5614 posts
5585 upvotes
Vancouver
Forget Turbo Tax. Use free software like Studiotax. Paying a private for-profit company for software for you to file your own taxes is a government sponsored scam. Canadians have become so used to it it seems normal, but this is unheard of almost everywhere else. The USA and Canada are the only other countries I can find where this is commonplace.
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
144 posts
89 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 8:54 pm
Forget Turbo Tax. Use free software like Studiotax. Paying a private for-profit company for software for you to file your own taxes is a government sponsored scam. Canadians have become so used to it it seems normal, but this is unheard of almost everywhere else. The USA and Canada are the only other countries I can find where this is commonplace.
Except I don't pay anything for turbo tax. I use their free version every year. I personally like it better than studio tax or simple tax as I have tried those as well, but that's just my preference.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1655 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
Kiraly wrote:
Apr 15th, 2018 8:54 pm
How many other countries have tax returns at all? All the Asian and European countries I know don't have this process. You pay your percent and there aren't any deductions or other complications.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2763 upvotes
Run a free package like StudioTax or SimpleTax. Auto-import your T-slips from the CRA web site by following their instructions. Use their wizard and answer any questions about deductions you may have, e.g., RRSP, dependent spouse or children, etc..

Submit to CRA. They will correct any errors you made.

Eventually I'm sure we will give up this pointless process for most Canadians and have the CRA do it for us. :)
Banned
Mar 8, 2018
144 posts
89 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 8:15 am
How many other countries have tax returns at all? All the Asian and European countries I know don't have this process. You pay your percent and there aren't any deductions or other complications.
They still pay taxes!(well there are some exceptions that don't). I don't really care that our system may be different, all that I care is that it is accurate! That's what's important.
Sep 6, 2016
679 posts
257 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 8:15 am
And they will never get their tax overpayment back..
Some countries have "excellent" rules about tax benefit and you never get them.

That's why I like Canada

However. Canada can do tax process more clear and more easy
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
1655 posts
670 upvotes
Ottawa
MasterPro wrote:
Apr 16th, 2018 11:11 am
And they will never get their tax overpayment back..
Some countries have "excellent" rules about tax benefit and you never get them.

That's why I like Canada

However. Canada can do tax process more clear and more easy
I think the main reason is all of our deductions and benefits. I think other countries often have a flat rate of tax and provide benefits for children, disabled etc outside of the tax system.
Totally agree we should make the process easier.