Personal Finance

Turbo Tax vs Ufile for Self Employed Contractor - Which is better?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2015 11:17 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
13727 posts

Turbo Tax vs Ufile for Self Employed Contractor - Which is better?

I need to work on my taxes and have been using TurboTax for several years (back to the quicktax days). I was looking at their website and if I am self employed (a contractor), they recommend the TurboTax Home & Business for windows for $109.99. In comparison, Ufile allows you to file self employed income in their $20 product.

My main thing is that I want to be able to print the return out and then send it to the CRA. I don't want to go via netfile as it is not ideal for me. I rather provide all the necessary info to the CRA then the netfile and then have them request multiple items.

Has anyone used either and can comment on which is better? Essentially, I want to be able to post my income (I got T4 and self employed income) and post deductions for them. I also would like to help in terms of what deductions I can claim (i.e. internet, cell, transit, vehicle, food, office supplies, etc.).

Feedback:Howard Forums Ebay RedFlagDeals Heatware

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
2 replies
Sr. Member
Jun 12, 2008
741 posts
Studio Tax. I am self employed and have used Studio tax for years. The CRA has all the information on what you can and can't claim on their website. I did consult with an accountant in the beginning to set up my books and find out what information/receipts were required for making claims. Since then I have done it myself and used StudioTax.

I have used UFile and TurboTax to double check my returns and I still prefer StudioTax.