[Turo] Perkopolis Members: $35 Off Your First Turo (Car Rental) Adventure

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2019 10:07 pm
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12057 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
somewhat related but anyone ever heard of Maven? I saw a couple stranded in Vaughn because their rental car wasn't starting for like 2 hours trying to contact the owners or whoever.
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8523 upvotes
GTHA
Aznkid2000 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:16 am
somewhat related but anyone ever heard of Maven? I saw a couple stranded in Vaughn because their rental car wasn't starting for like 2 hours trying to contact the owners or whoever.
Maven is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Motor.

They offer three primary services:

Maven Car Sharing is a smart alternative to traditional car rental; whether you’re running errands, going on an interview, or getting away for the weekend. It is like having your own car only better. Maven cars offer technology like 4G LTE WiFi™ connectivity*, and Apple CarPlay®** compatibility. Rental cost also covers insurance (less the deductible). Cars are parked conveniently around the city, and available for round trips 24/7.

Maven Gig is for drivers in the gig economy who need a car for a rideshare or delivery jobs. A personalized insurance document is provided to give you the freedom to register to drive for any rideshare, food, grocery and package delivery services. A weekly rate includes unlimited mileage, insurance*** (less the deductible), routine maintenance and OnStar Roadside Assistance****. If you reserve a Chevrolet Bolt EV (based on market availability), charging is also included. No long-term commitment is required with Maven Gig – members can return the car any time after 7 days with no penalty.

Peer-to-peer car sharing provides car owners the opportunity to earn passive income from their cars when they’re not using them. GM owners of select and eligible 2015 model year and newer cars and trucks can list a car on the Maven app***** and rent it out to approved and vetted members to earn money. Currently available in beta in Chicago, Detroit, Denver and Ann Arbor.

https://www.maven.com/ca/en/toronto.html
Nov 21, 2017
551 posts
273 upvotes
Surrey BC
Aznkid2000 wrote:
Maven the former WWE wrestler? Sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
3354 posts
2618 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Aznkid2000 wrote:
Maven is General Motors' carshare program. I've only seen it once before, near Times Square (Richmond Hill).
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1029 posts
837 upvotes
flipper316 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:49 am
Maven the former WWE wrestler? Sure.
I remember when he eliminated the undertaker from the Royal rumble but I don't remember much else.
Mar 17, 2014
397 posts
102 upvotes
Vancouver
Did anyone thought about Doug Demuro when you saw this post? + Me if you did...i totally did!!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1078 posts
451 upvotes
Montréal
This seems like the regular referral first time turo user of 25$ off. I host and have used turo, its got its pros and cons..
Sep 16, 2010
719 posts
238 upvotes
Mississauga
First time hearing about this company. Looks interesting. Will probably consider this for our next rental. Thanks OP!
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12057 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
i wanted to see what cars were available and checked out the tesla, wowow people wanted 120$+ to rent it even though on the same site i can rent a Porsche for about the same price.

Also funny thing is, one of the Tesla ad had a extra add on 75$ fill up for fuel/electric, unless i been under a rock there is no way it cost that much to fully charge the car and with all the free charging stations out there.

There is also this extra add on for 35$ or something like that, you can return the car without cleaning it?

[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16173 posts
3264 upvotes
Toronto
Aznkid2000 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:39 am
i wanted to see what cars were available and checked out the tesla, wowow people wanted 120$+ to rent it even though on the same site i can rent a Porsche for about the same price.

Also funny thing is, one of the Tesla ad had a extra add on 75$ fill up for fuel/electric, unless i been under a rock there is no way it cost that much to fully charge the car and with all the free charging stations out there.

There is also this extra add on for 35$ or something like that, you can return the car without cleaning it?
1. Owners set the price, their choice.
2. I've driven both, you realize the Tesla is faster within the city, exactly where you'd be driving it. While the Porsche is more the ultimate sports car, I wouldn't pass over the Tesla when given the chance. I've said this before, every driver should have the chance to drive a Tesla Model S / Model X, they are quite incredible feats of technology IMO.

The Model S is just dumb fast. I've never laughed in a car by myself.

3. Those fees are add-ons for stupid people. Go to a charger a bit before your return it and you are good, no fee. Same with cleaning, bring it back clean, that's all.
RedFlagDeals addict
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12057 posts
115 upvotes
Toronto
DaVibe wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:48 am
1. Owners set the price, their choice.
2. I've driven both, you realize the Tesla is faster within the city, exactly where you'd be driving it. While the Porsche is more the ultimate sports car, I wouldn't pass over the Tesla when given the chance. I've said this before, every driver should have the chance to drive a Tesla Model S / Model X, they are quite incredible feats of technology IMO.

The Model S is just dumb fast. I've never laughed in a car by myself.

3. Those fees are add-ons for stupid people. Go to a charger a bit before your return it and you are good, no fee. Same with cleaning, bring it back clean, that's all.
but it seems like cleaning includes the exterior of the car also

Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1359 posts
993 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I see no value in Turo unless you’re looking for exotic or special vehicles you can’t find at a rental agency.

Why would I want to pay $40 per day for Jim’s 2010 Civic when I can go get a late or current model year car from a rental agency with low mileage and unlimited kilometers for the same price or less?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16173 posts
3264 upvotes
Toronto
Altera wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:51 pm
I see no value in Turo unless you’re looking for exotic or special vehicles you can’t find at a rental agency.

Why would I want to pay $40 per day for Jim’s 2010 Civic when I can go get a late or current model year car from a rental agency with low mileage and unlimited kilometers for the same price or less?
Some less restrictions with Turo (under age), access to cars (might be where you live) / convenience.

I agree, you have to compare if you are just shopping for a rental. Depends on the segment.

Minivans or multiple passenger SUVs are likely cheaper through Turo. Exotics are 100% cheaper.
RedFlagDeals addict
Jun 9, 2015
762 posts
581 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Aznkid2000 wrote:
tk1000 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:41 am
Maven is a wholly-owned subsidiary of General Motor.
Makes sense.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1078 posts
451 upvotes
Montréal
During peak seasons turo is a good alternative as well.