Site Comments & Suggestions

Tutorial for hotlinking pics in posts for fun or for FS/FT ads

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2017 12:25 pm
Tags:
None

Poll: Would you like to see this tutorial as a sticky? If so Where?

• Total votes: 204. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

44%
No

19%
in all B/S/T Forums.

19%
in ALL forums.

15%
Other, please specify

4%
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…

Tutorial for hotlinking pics in posts for fun or for FS/FT ads

CLICK HERE FOR THE SCAMMER thread poll
Hi guys, I was surprised why this hasn't existed yet, so Here is my offering. Please discuss, add constructive criticism, and mainly if anyone can answer my question at the bottom, please do so.

Maybe after a bit of editing, and discussion., a mod may choose to set this as a sticky somewhere helpful for all hotlinking noobs.

Forums nowadays give you two options to do this. Either;
A) Attach the picture(pic) in the actual post...or
B) Hotlink the pic using [img] html codes (should these codes be enabled in that thread/forum).

What's the difference? Well in a nutshell., server load, and maximum cap limits. Attaching files and photos in the actual post is usually Highly restricted to a very small icon-ish sized item, and even data files will be ~find it's address>link in the post-Voila!

Comparatively, such free online IMAGE HOSTING/hotlink (capable) webhosters such as:
www.imageshack.us
www.pictiger.com
WWW.XS.TO.COM
www.picturetrail.com
www.picasaweb.google.com
VERY COOL. Just log in, BYPASS the "sign me up, block", Log in, click the only link there is, and your account will be activated instantaneously. You DO NOT NEED TO SIGN UP, AND WAIT FOR AN EMAIL. I did it from start to finished uploading my batch of pics in one sitting (few mins). Pics do hotlink :)
AND MY PERSONAL FAVOURITE;
http://photobucket.com/

Publish from XP
...offer powerful services., all for free. Of course if you have your OWN website, you probably know how to link pics already., but if not, basically you'd just upload a photo>find it's address>link in the post-Voila!

[QUOTE]If anybody knows of any such sites that offer a UPLOAD UTILITY plug-in for multiple uploads (FOR FREE ACCOUNTS), please let me know as that is the only thing I'm DYING for PB to incorporate.[/QUOTE]

*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
56 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
So Here we go using Photobucket as our example site.

Take this photo I want to upload from my PC.

I upload it to my account (note xs.to and imageshack among some-do not require an account and you can do individual submissions) as such.

Note, how if you had multiple pics you can choose this drop down toolbar :)

Once uploaded-I select the proper Image code.

Then I enter it into the position I want it displayed in my post :)

The other benefit to some of these sites is that they prepare the text to be entered INCLUDING the Image codes so that you don't need to make use of the InsertImage button (yellow icon with the mountain on it) on the toolbar. If you-say had your own website, you would copy the url of that image, insert it, then once selected click on that icon and the forum engine vBulletin would "wrap" the img codes around your url.

That is why sometimes you see users with images in their text with the photo flanked by img codes additional to it. That's because they copied a url already prepared-but additionally clicked the icon above effectively duplicating the coding which is unnecessary; Ex: ImageImage[/IMG]

Done.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
One of the features I truly like with PB is that with multiple photo postings, I can select them by check mark, and click "generate img code"-which streamlines the whole process and cuts down on unnecessary repetitive processes. Great for FS/FT ads when you have several pics to display.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ ... zyx009.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ ... zyx010.jpg[/IMG]

Now I tend to do my resizing pre-upload, so PBs services serve me great. However sites such as ImageShack provide built-in options so you may prefer that if you are so inclined.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ ... zyx008.jpg[/IMG]
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
Banned
Mar 11, 2005
1767 posts
Toronto, Ontario
good god bubbles, damn good job, but where the **** did you find the time to do that?

man that army job is cushy eh ;)
CARTOONIST NEEDED!
Must be able to draw characters from Mr. Men and Little Miss. story line on Adobe Photoshop!
$50 honorarium provided for finished unflattened .psd file
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27420 posts
6791 upvotes
I'm really surprised people are saying no to this suggestion.

What is wrong with providing information to people who don't know how to do things? It's not like it will kill you to have one more sticky.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
RonyPal wrote:good god bubbles, damn good job, but where the **** did you find the time to do that?

man that army job is cushy eh ;)
Let's just say I am quite profficient in certain things...much more than others...but more importantly why the **** didn't you vote? :lol:
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1760 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Ya I think it's useful for those who need the help..
Razer Blade Stealth 13" Mercury White 2019 | 1080P IPS Display | Quad-Core 10th Gen Intel Core i7-1065G7 1.3 GHz / 3.9 GHz | Intel® Iris Plus Graphics | 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD |
16 GB LPDDR4 3733 MHz | Windows 11 Home 64-Bit
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
6 people who voted no?

Well we can clearly remember these blokes among the types who prefer anarchy, stagnation, and resistance to innovation and improvement.

Sadly-even in our great midst of helpful RFD'ers it seems we have these types :(
Banned
Mar 11, 2005
1767 posts
Toronto, Ontario
Remember, everyones a proverbial "hater", in one retrospect or another.
CARTOONIST NEEDED!
Must be able to draw characters from Mr. Men and Little Miss. story line on Adobe Photoshop!
Sep 30, 2001
30147 posts
10132 upvotes
Toronto
it should be here somehwere, though not in all forums.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
RonyPal wrote:Remember, everyones a proverbial "hater", in one retrospect or another.
lol...it's "on respect or another"...not retrospect...at least I'm pretty sure it is ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2005
1399 posts
48 upvotes
bubble.tea wrote: Comparatively, such free online IMAGE HOSTING/hotlink (capable) webhosters such as:
www.imageshack.com

Great job! But I think imageshack is www.imageshack.us (which you linked correctly, but typed as .com)
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
Oops., Thank you., edited :)
Banned
Mar 11, 2005
1767 posts
Toronto, Ontario
bubble.tea wrote:lol...it's "on respect or another"...not retrospect...at least I'm pretty sure it is ;)
please please...

ret
CARTOONIST NEEDED!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
haha., yeah you're right :)
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
48990 posts
10269 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm surprised that you guys were surprised that people voted "no". The reason is that this is a pretty common thing and I personally voted no as I don't think that it is required to teach something that most of us know already. Image hosting websites are pretty common nowadays, and I'm sure everyone knows how to use tags if they've spent a good amount of time on RFD. The truth is, the actual concept is known and the occasional question of how to do it does not qualify enough for a sticky. Instead, it might be more effective for RFD to estalbish an FAQ section where this would fit into. If this was put as a sticky then the same standard would be placed against other forum-based tutorials, taking up unnecessary space and bandwidth.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2001
5275 posts
32 upvotes
Re above.....not true.

There are always a bunch of people out there that believe that just because they know ...everyone else knows.

I know a bit about what I do with a computer but there is a ton of stuff I don't know. Sometimes I might take the long route....I have friends who can't do half of what I do.
Some people out there really know this stuff....many don't. Perhaps there are people who work in the biz and hang out out with those that know this stuff.
Some people spend 24 hrs a day at this.

The mark of a good observer/teacher is to recognize that and work at making it better.
Not everyone is a techy.
:twisted:
Jul 24, 2004
911 posts
5 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote:I'm surprised that you guys were surprised that people voted "no". The reason is that this is a pretty common thing and I personally voted no as I don't think that it is required to teach something that most of us know already. Image hosting websites are pretty common nowadays, and I'm sure everyone knows how to use tags if they've spent a good amount of time on RFD. The truth is, the actual concept is known and the occasional question of how to do it does not qualify enough for a sticky. Instead, it might be more effective for RFD to estalbish an FAQ section where this would fit into. If this was put as a sticky then the same standard would be placed against other forum-based tutorials, taking up unnecessary space and bandwidth.
I didn't vote "no" ... I voted "yes" :) I agree with you that it would be a great idea to have a FAQ section because not everyone knows about computers. ;) Including me... You know the saying..."You learn something new everyday... :)
Alkapone :) well said(wrote) :!:
It's all in the punctuation:
An English professor wrote the words, "Woman without her man is nothing" on the blackboard and directed his students to punctuate it correctly.
The men wrote: "Woman, without her man, is nothing."
The women wrote: "Woman: Without her, man is nothing." :D
Deal Fanatic
Nov 28, 2005
6044 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote:this is a pretty common thing and I personally voted no as I don't think that it is required to teach something that most of us know already.
I'm not 100% sure of that, and there will ALWAYS be newbies around. Having said that, I personally use one of my own websites to host any picture I'd like to post here.