Personal Finance

[Tutorial] Link External Accounts to Simplii Financial

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2019 1:06 am
Jan 31, 2010
362 posts
127 upvotes
St. John's
Hope this thread isn't dead as I need a little help with this.

I have a Tangerine savings account and a Simplii chequing account. I already have Simplii added to tangerine and am able to pull funds.

Now, I want to setup Simplii to add Tangerine as an external account so i can pull that direction as well (rather than push from Tangerine to Simplii). Following this tutorial, I called Tangerine and asked for a "Stamped Pre Authorized Deposit form" from Tangerine. The girl put me on hold, then came back and said that I can get that online (as opposed to snail mail as OP suggested). She directed me to login, Name -> Forms -> Direct Deposit Form . Is this what I need? It doesn't seem right as it seems to be only for depositing money into Tangerine, not using it to link externally.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7643 posts
655 upvotes
cquilliam wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 7:06 pm

I have a Tangerine savings account and a Simplii chequing account. I already have Simplii added to tangerine and am able to pull funds.

Now, I want to setup Simplii to add Tangerine as an external account so i can pull that direction as well (rather than push from Tangerine to Simplii). Following this tutorial, I called Tangerine and asked for a "Stamped Pre Authorized Deposit form" from Tangerine. The girl put me on hold, then came back and said that I can get that online (as opposed to snail mail as OP suggested). She directed me to login, Name -> Forms -> Direct Deposit Form . Is this what I need? It doesn't seem right as it seems to be only for depositing money into Tangerine, not using it to link externally.
Simplii is very finicky and I doubt they will take it. For me, they would only accept a check that had my current address listed and was a real check, not a downloaded one. The form that Tangerine told you to download would at the very, very minimum require a real teller's stamp for them to consider it. However, you could always try but don't hold your breath.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Jan 23, 2018
154 posts
185 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 8:10 pm
Simplii is very finicky and I doubt they will take it. For me, they would only accept a check that had my current address listed and was a real check, not a downloaded one. The form that Tangerine told you to download would at the very, very minimum require a real teller's stamp for them to consider it. However, you could always try but don't hold your breath.
I have actually managed to get a savings account at a small Manitoba credit union linked at Simplii, so it can definitely be done. However, it took a month and 4-5 phone calls chasing them about it before I finally latched onto somebody competent and/or senior enough to override their public policy of requiring a void cheque to link an account. In the end they finally accepted the PAD from the credit union, but I had to submit it 3 different times using their secure email because the first 2 times they claimed "they couldn't find it" and kept trying to circle me back to the original narrative about needing a void cheque. I however persisted, and they gave up before I did.

IMO the obstructive behaviour is not because creating these links is technically impossible -- it's based upon their desire to not make it easier for you to move your money elsewhere.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7737 posts
3718 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
cquilliam wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 7:06 pm

Frankie3s wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 8:10 pm
threadhead wrote:
Sep 21st, 2018 7:02 pm
I have actually managed to get a savings account at a small Manitoba credit union linked at Simplii, so it can definitely be done. However, it took a month and 4-5 phone calls chasing them about it before I finally latched onto somebody competent and/or senior enough to override their public policy of requiring a void cheque to link an account. In the end they finally accepted the PAD from the credit union, but I had to submit it 3 different times using their secure email because the first 2 times they claimed "they couldn't find it" and kept trying to circle me back to the original narrative about needing a void cheque. I however persisted, and they gave up before I did.

IMO the obstructive behaviour is not because creating these links is technically impossible -- it's based upon their desire to not make it easier for you to move your money elsewhere.
I have both my MB CU's linked in Simplii. For Tangerine, explain to CSR that you need a teller stamp, and they'll snail-mail the letter to you.

Wouldn't say they make it hard as a means to discourage. I'd say Simplii is easier for adding external accounts than Achieva Financial (must snail-mail, max three), or even Meridian (send them void chq or PAD form plus repeat all the info in their form).
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Apr 13, 2017
296 posts
54 upvotes
Hello,

Yesterday, I scheduled a transaction in simplii to push money from simplii to tangerine. Transaction date was today.

So far, it has not posted (money is still in my account) . Does anyone know how long does it take ? I was thinking money should have been removed from my account first thing in the morning. Simplii is saying it can take upto 2 business days.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2245 posts
1046 upvotes
Winnipeg
headleygrange wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:23 pm
Hello,

Yesterday, I scheduled a transaction in simplii to push money from simplii to tangerine. Transaction date was today.

So far, it has not posted (money is still in my account) . Does anyone know how long does it take ? I was thinking money should have been removed from my account first thing in the morning. Simplii is saying it can take upto 2 business days.
If you set up the transfer after 5:15pm Eastern time... It takes two days. If before that time it will be done the next morning.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Apr 13, 2017
296 posts
54 upvotes
Shawguy wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:56 pm
If you set up the transfer after 5:15pm Eastern time... It takes two days. If before that time it will be done the next morning.
Thanks. I guess one way to cancel this is by moving funds to my checking account. I dont want to lose the interest over the weekend.
Feb 9, 2018
91 posts
48 upvotes
headleygrange wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 2:23 pm
Hello,

Simplii also offers free interac e transfers. If your transfer amount was within the daily interac-e-transfer limit, you could have transferred the money to tangerine in 5 minutes.
Apr 13, 2017
296 posts
54 upvotes
sunbat wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 9:03 pm
Simplii also offers free interac e transfers. If your transfer amount was within the daily interac-e-transfer limit, you could have transferred the money to tangerine in 5 minutes.
Thanks.
Little over 50k. So, interac is no go.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7643 posts
655 upvotes
headleygrange wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2018 3:51 pm
Thanks. I guess one way to cancel this is by moving funds to my checking account. I dont want to lose the interest over the weekend.
Be careful about incurring an NSF fee should the scheduled transfer fail.
Signature removed due to external link rule violation.
Apr 13, 2017
296 posts
54 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:23 pm
Be careful about incurring an NSF fee should the scheduled transfer fail.
Thanks. Simplii confirmed that no NSF fee if the transfer was initiated in simplii.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
7737 posts
3718 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
headleygrange wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2018 4:44 pm
Thanks. Simplii confirmed that no NSF fee if the transfer was initiated in simplii.
If pushing from Simplii, then no NSF. If there's not enough money the transfer simply won't happen.

If pulling from Simplii, Simplii won't charge NSF. If insuficient funds in external account, then you might get NSF fee charged at other FI.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Dec 4, 2008
871 posts
401 upvotes
Their process changed slightly (just basing this on OP), I just tried to set up an external account link and I'm required to write my CIF number + "Add account" on the memo line of the cheque.

So I guess it's not possible to send just send an electronic void cheque (a la Tangerine).

For Savings account the rep advised me to get a form (something account transfer) from the external bank in lieu of a void cheque and it would be fine. Not sure what form this is, I thought it would just be a stamped PAD but I'll ask again when I call back.

Don't try to do this overnight - I just did and my request was auto-cancelled. The rep said the error was "User not authorized" and advised me to call back after 7am.