Shopping Discussion

(TV) Better Value Now or after the holiday?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2009 7:19 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1335 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill

(TV) Better Value Now or after the holiday?

Hi All:

My family moved recently and we are looking to buy 2 LCD TV.

Bought one 1 week ago because the old tube TV has finally broken down and we are looking for another one.

Myfamily members are going away for trip until late January and therefore I will the only primary user for TV until then.

Would it be wise to just wait it out until they come back and then make the purchase? I am just not too sure about the price fluctuation on TV these days.

Thanks
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6153 posts
875 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
At least wait for boxing day to see if there are good deals. But you should use the time in between to do research as to what features you want (LCD/Plasma, size,money,picture quality,extra features,etc.).
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9568 posts
1265 upvotes
I think it all depends on the exchange rate. The TV I bought back early December was never cheaper since then.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If the leaked Black Friday ads so far are any indication of what our Boxing Day will be like I'd say wait. It looks like tv's are going to be one of the hot deals this year. For example this weekend at Walmart in the US they have a 42" Sharp LCD for $498. Last weekend Sears had a 42" Zenith plasma for $499.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
855 upvotes
Black Friday if you can make the trip... if not boxing day is a good time to buy a TV. Boxing day/week deals are generally better than deals found within 2 months after boxing day so try to avoid buying in Jan. if you can.
Oct 12, 2009
497 posts
13 upvotes
What if you don't plan to go to the US for boxing day/black friday.

Are you better of waiting on boxing day for a good TV deal as oppose to buying on november 27th?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
855 upvotes
amuseddaysleeper wrote:
Nov 5th, 2009 1:23 am
What if you don't plan to go to the US for boxing day/black friday.

Are you better of waiting on boxing day for a good TV deal as oppose to buying on november 27th?
Depends on a few factors...

#1 Which area of US are you headed to (there are states with state tax and other without tax, this can make a huge difference on your total as state tax is part of the cost to obtain the TV and therefore also taxable... which means the cost could increase by 8% for you)

#2 Are you making the trip to just get a TV or are you interested in clothes shopping to/other items. Generally speaking, if you make the trip for just 1 item, the time lost (the trip generally will take 8+ hours due to extended waits), its probably not worth it. Not to mention all the gas you'll burn.

#3 Are you working that day... Friday isn't a holiday in Canada so if you need to take a day off work, consider that into the cost as well.

Do the math based on those 3 points and see if its worth it. The price of TVs on sale are generally cheaper on Black Friday than on Boxing day (tho there are exceptions). Not all TVs will be on sale.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2008
1335 posts
196 upvotes
Thornhill
Hey guys, thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of hoping onto this deal here, which ends tonight.

I still have a chance to pick this up before 9 pm tonight, so I get to make the decision fast.

But according to one poster:
"if not boxing day is a good time to buy a TV. Boxing day/week deals are generally better than deals found within 2 months after boxing day so try to avoid buying in Jan. if you can."

How come? Is it just because I probably won't be able to find the price lower than what boxing day can offer? What happen if boxing day did not have the model I have for sales?
Oct 12, 2009
497 posts
13 upvotes
GVRtrader wrote:
Nov 5th, 2009 5:03 am
Depends on a few factors...

#1 Which area of US are you headed to (there are states with state tax and other without tax, this can make a huge difference on your total as state tax is part of the cost to obtain the TV and therefore also taxable... which means the cost could increase by 8% for you)

#2 Are you making the trip to just get a TV or are you interested in clothes shopping to/other items. Generally speaking, if you make the trip for just 1 item, the time lost (the trip generally will take 8+ hours due to extended waits), its probably not worth it. Not to mention all the gas you'll burn.

#3 Are you working that day... Friday isn't a holiday in Canada so if you need to take a day off work, consider that into the cost as well.

Do the math based on those 3 points and see if its worth it. The price of TVs on sale are generally cheaper on Black Friday than on Boxing day (tho there are exceptions). Not all TVs will be on sale.

Well I don't plan to head into the US at all this fall, but I really would love to get a 32" HDTV for the bedroom.

I just wasn't sure if its better to buy one on Canada's black friday, or wait till boxing day, because I always assumed you'd get better boxing day deals on TV's than black fridays, but then again my experience with this is all a minimal.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7392 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
Last year, December had the best prices on TVs. As in, the weeks leading up to Christmas + a few TVs on Boxing Week. There were actually some models with better deals before Christmas than during Boxing Week...
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1370 posts
231 upvotes
Definitely wait as long as you can handle. Prices keep on dropping, technology keeps getting better. Have you seen the new LED TV's? They're an inch thin! If those were available last summer when I bought my 47" LCD TV, I would have probably deferred my purchase so I could save up a little more.

Apart from thinness, and the obvious "picture quality keeps getting better", TVs are even starting to integrate with home media servers, internet access, etc. They're also starting to be more "green" and consume less power.

If you need a TV today, buy one today. If you can handle not having one until January, then wait until then.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
973 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Uhmmm.....Canada does not have Black Friday. It's a US only phenom that kicks off their Christmas shopping season. ;)

Just an FYI because you really don't sound like you know what Black Friday is... Black Friday is the Friday after Thanksgiving in the US. This year it's Nov 27th. Every retailer participates in one way or another with huge one day or BF weekend sales. Plenty of doorcrashers abound (huge loss leaders on electronics and the like) to get people spending money and get the stores "in the black". People line up for hrs for store opening early in the morning, 3-5 am typically and crowds are enormous.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9419 posts
536 upvotes
Markham
Unless you really need the TV now, I think it's probably better to wait, unless you see a very excellent deal.

Well I guess Canada's equivalent of Black Friday is Boxing Day....
:lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1030 posts
18 upvotes
1234holycow1234 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2009 11:36 pm
Wait for Boxing Day.
Nonsense. Those days are long passed, unless you want to stand in line all night and get one of the 3 cheap units on sale. Even then, the best deals the last few years are early-mid december. Stores are often sold out by boxing day.

In case you are slow, retailers have changed their holiday strategy the last few years. It used to be that they always order lots of stock so they wouldn't run out and lose sales. After the holiday, they'd dump the remainder on Boxing Day. Now they want to keep inventory cost down and are willing to risk losing a few sales rather than to be stuck with lots of unsold inventory.

The trend is compounded by the use of computer models to accurately predict sales and the exact amount of inventory needed. Stores just don't get stuck with stuff they need to dump quik and cheap often anymore. This is why the days of the real warehouse sales are long over. I can remember Holt Renfrew Last Call sales at $0.15 on the dollar for the very best designer clothes and Weal and Cullen at $0.25 on everything 8-10 years ago.

You never see anything like this anymore and why Boxing Day sales are largely a waste of time. They trade on people think that if its Boxing Day, it must be a good deal. Retailers have gotten much smarter.