Computers & Electronics

Which TV mainly for 4K HDR gaming? LG OLED, Sony X900E, or TCL P series?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 4:25 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1439 posts
238 upvotes
Belle River

Which TV mainly for 4K HDR gaming? LG OLED, Sony X900E, or TCL P series?

Although the TV will see a lot of general use, I think I'll be most concerned with games looking their best. I'm looking for something around 50-55", I've been following the threads for the Sony X900E and the LG OLED. Another possibility I have considered is just going low end and getting a TCL P607 because it is rated quite high for HDR gaming according to RTINGS, http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p-series-2017-p607 .

Anyone have experience with cross border USA TV warranties? I guess if anything goes wrong with the TCL I'd have to driver over to the USA and ship it from there, or..?

Main source would be Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. I do have a gaming PC with a GTX 1080 but as far as I've read that won't really push 4K well, or maybe it will if I knock down a lot of settings?

Opinions, other suggestions, anything, I'd like to hear it.
5 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18468 posts
3607 upvotes
Thornhill
As TCL does not have a Canadian TV presence, then I assume you can send it to them in Canada, but must receive it with an US address. I'm not even sure if you should mention that you're Canadian if attempting to service the TV.

The X900e should be the best value for a HDR ready TV. The Vizio P55 is another option as well, it was decently rated. The 2017 and 2016 model is the same mostly, while the 2017 x900e had a nice upgrade from last years x900d

I'm in the same market, a 55" TV. I was perfectly happy with the KS8000 I bought last Black Friday, except I broke it last week, screen is shattered.

Honestly, the x900e seems to be the best bang for the buck in terms of quality to price. It has a lot of features compared to others in this tier of TVs, like local dimming, wide colour gamut, high brightness, Android TV, 120hz, great upscaler and great in dark environments, but is a VA panel so the viewing angles are mediocre.

The Vizio P55 is equally as good and has the features above, but hasnt changed much from the older 2016 model. It still has a mediocre upscaler, 480p and 720p don't look that great. Also has a mediocre viewing angles as it is a VA panel, and doesn't get that bright as the market leaders, not good for bright rooms but good in dark environments, and doesn't have a TV tuner, so you can't plug in an antenna. But its usually priced lower.

A 1080 will do fine in 4K, but depends on your settings. I have a 1080ti and 4K can chug sometimes. Sometimes I just set it to 1080p and let the TV upscale it, and there is a bit of a difference but it still looks great.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1439 posts
238 upvotes
Belle River
Thanks for the detailed response.
coriolis wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:19 pm
As TCL does not have a Canadian TV presence, then I assume you can send it to them in Canada, but must receive it with an US address. I'm not even sure if you should mention that you're Canadian if attempting to service the TV.
Yeah there's definitely some hassle/risk there, but it seems to be THE "value" model for HDR gaming.
coriolis wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:19 pm
The Vizio P55 is equally as good and has the features above, but hasnt changed much from the older 2016 model. It still has a mediocre upscaler, 480p and 720p don't look that great. Also has a mediocre viewing angles as it is a VA panel, and doesn't get that bright as the market leaders, not good for bright rooms but good in dark environments, and doesn't have a TV tuner, so you can't plug in an antenna. But its usually priced lower.
Do you know any deals on the P55 now? On a quick search it seemed to be more expensive than the Sony.
Nov 12, 2017
13 posts
2 upvotes
Buddy I know choosing a 4K TV for gaming can be difficult, especially if you're looking for an effective HDR presentation. For taking right suggestion check out the best 2017 4K TVs for HDR gaming.
Self-employed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
1439 posts
238 upvotes
Belle River
samzike wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 3:50 am
Buddy I know choosing a 4K TV for gaming can be difficult, especially if you're looking for an effective HDR presentation. For taking right suggestion check out the best 2017 4K TVs for HDR gaming.
Thanks, this also reminded me I have a tab with a Digital Foundry video of the same title that I keep forgetting to watch :).