Shopping Discussion

TV Purchasing: take the deal now, or roll the dice on tomorrow?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2010 4:25 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 24, 2010
2 posts

TV Purchasing: take the deal now, or roll the dice on tomorrow?

I have a dilemma today, the day before Black Friday. I'm in the market for a new TV, I've picked out the model (Sony KDL46EX500, the best I can find under $1K), and I've found it for a price I'm happy with. But that particular price is part of a sale that ends today, and tomorrow is Black Friday, which means one of two things is likely to happen. Either:

- the TV will drop in price even further, OR
- the TV will already be gone.

I don't think it's very likely that it will go up to its pre-sale price, especially not this weekend. So I guess my question is, what are the odds that I'll walk into a store tomorrow and hear "I'm sorry, we don't stock that model anymore"?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2005
4158 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto
LootPinata wrote: I have a dilemma today, the day before Black Friday. I'm in the market for a new TV, I've picked out the model (Sony KDL46EX500, the best I can find under $1K), and I've found it for a price I'm happy with. But that particular price is part of a sale that ends today, and tomorrow is Black Friday, which means one of two things is likely to happen. Either:

I don't think it's very likely that it will go up to its pre-sale price, especially not this weekend. So I guess my question is, what are the odds that I'll walk into a store tomorrow and hear "I'm sorry, we don't stock that model anymore"?

Sears has the TV tomorrow for $899 with Free SONY Blu-Ray Player. I would wait if I were you.

Sony Style also has it for $930 with Free BluRay Player and you get $50coupon(I think there is also one where you get $25 off if you spend more than $100....search for it :) ):

sony-46ex500-bd-370-880-sony-style-969356/
Nov 24, 2010
2 posts
Spiderpal93 wrote: Sears has the TV tomorrow for $899 with Free SONY Blu-Ray Player. I would wait if I were you.

Sony Style also has it for $930 with Free BluRay Player and you get $50coupon(I think there is also one where you get $25 off if you spend more than $100....search for it :) ):

sony-46ex500-bd-370-880-sony-style-969356/

Yeah, I saw that like 10 minutes after I asked this question. That definitely answers that question!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
To address the OP's original dilemma, buy it today and leave it unopened. If the price drops tomorrow then buy a second one tomorrow and return the first one on Monday. If they're OOS tomorrow then you wouldn't have been able to buy one tomorrow in any case.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
LootPinata wrote: I have a dilemma today, the day before Black Friday. I'm in the market for a new TV, I've picked out the model (Sony KDL46EX500, the best I can find under $1K), and I've found it for a price I'm happy with. But that particular price is part of a sale that ends today, and tomorrow is Black Friday, which means one of two things is likely to happen. Either:

I'd say wait. TVs are going to get cheaper, and if anything, better - just like all technology. Unless you need a fancy new TV now, then hanging back is your best bet, but if you do need a new TV now, then go for it.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1942 posts
1109 upvotes
bylo wrote: To address the OP's original dilemma, buy it today and leave it unopened. If the price drops tomorrow then buy a second one tomorrow and return the first one on Monday. If they're OOS tomorrow then you wouldn't have been able to buy one tomorrow in any case.

Yup, this is what I would do too.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2004
5264 posts
125 upvotes
Nepean
Buy it today and keep it sealed.
heatware available upon request
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
iamnotamerican.com wrote: I'd say wait. TVs are going to get cheaper, and if anything, better - just like all technology. Unless you need a fancy new TV now, then hanging back is your best bet, but if you do need a new TV now, then go for it.

If you always applied this logic you would never buy a tv.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Dark Phoenix wrote: If you always applied this logic you would never buy a tv.
How so?

He also said, "but if you do need a new TV now, then go for it."
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)