• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 9:25 am
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
459 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener, ON

TV recommendation for 6 meters distance from sofa

Hey guys, my couch is about 5.5-6 meters from the TV, and we had a 55" Hisense before moving in to this house. We think it's an OK TV but now it's too small, specially when you need to read something that is being shown.

So what do you recommend with a budget under $2000? I would like to get the biggest one possible, which I think would be 75" but that would need to sacrifice some quality/features.

I feel like we could get a 65" with higher quality like a Vizio P series, but I am not sure it would be enough for this distance.

What do you think about this one for $1400? Seems like a good compromise.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-70UK6190PUB-4k-uhd-tv

Looks like it has HDR, local dimming, good amount of ports, etc. Unforunately I can't find any technical reviews.

This Samsung is 75" and was $1800 at bestbuy but apparently is now sold out. It is a year old and has bad viewing angles, but at this distance it doesn't matter which end of the couch you are, the angle is not very high anyways

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... 0/settings

Would this one be a good value for this scenario?

Any input is appreciated, thank you
21 replies
Feb 26, 2011
590 posts
529 upvotes
Calgary
If it's not in your budget to get a big enough TV, why don't you re-jig your room for shorter viewing distance and space for other things?
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
459 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
jwslam wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 9:28 am
If it's not in your budget to get a big enough TV, why don't you re-jig your room for shorter viewing distance and space for other things?
Yeah we debated this but we like the open area the way it is now. Dividing this into 2 environments would feel cluttered and the second "area" would not be used at all. Also because of dog zooming around lol, she loves the open living room.

I know 70 or 75 might not be big enough but it will definitely be better than the 55, which has been Okayish for the past 4 weeks.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3227 posts
773 upvotes
Oshawa
pca1987 wrote:
Oct 29th, 2018 8:51 am
Hey guys, my couch is about 5.5-6 meters from the TV, and we had a 55" Hisense before moving in to this house. We think it's an OK TV but now it's too small, specially when you need to read something that is being shown.

So what do you recommend with a budget under $2000? I would like to get the biggest one possible, which I think would be 75" but that would need to sacrifice some quality/features.

I feel like we could get a 65" with higher quality like a Vizio P series, but I am not sure it would be enough for this distance.

What do you think about this one for $1400? Seems like a good compromise.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-70UK6190PUB-4k-uhd-tv

Looks like it has HDR, local dimming, good amount of ports, etc. Unforunately I can't find any technical reviews.

This Samsung is 75" and was $1800 at bestbuy but apparently is now sold out. It is a year old and has bad viewing angles, but at this distance it doesn't matter which end of the couch you are, the angle is not very high anyways

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsu ... 0/settings

Would this one be a good value for this scenario?

Any input is appreciated, thank you
How big is the room??

My living room measures 16' x 11' with an 11' ceiling ... our L-Shaped couch is located in one corner ... 10' from the TV mounted on the wall above the fireplace ... we have a 55" Vizio (from Costco) hooked up to a 7.1 Home Theatre system and it's more than enough ...
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Sep 16, 2006
898 posts
178 upvotes
Pickering
AV-Fishing wrote:
Oct 31st, 2018 9:09 pm
How big is the room??

My living room measures 16' x 11' with an 11' ceiling ... our L-Shaped couch is located in one corner ... 10' from the TV mounted on the wall above the fireplace ... we have a 55" Vizio (from Costco) hooked up to a 7.1 Home Theatre system and it's more than enough ...
10 feet is 3 meters. This guy is 6 meters away. By your logic he'd need a 110" TV :P
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2781 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Since you need a gigantic image, why not go with a projector?
[OP]
Aug 30, 2015
459 posts
168 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
honestly I wasn't considering a projector but that might not be a bad idea. Not sure if screen + projector + installation would fit in the $2000 budget though, but I'll start to read more about this.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10803 posts
10900 upvotes
pca1987 wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 8:13 am
honestly I wasn't considering a projector but that might not be a bad idea. Not sure if screen + projector + installation would fit in the $2000 budget though, but I'll start to read more about this.
You might even be able to find a decent 4K projector to fit the bill + screen + installation for $2,000 to $2,500. You really are better off with a proper projector. 100"+ TVs run between $10,000 and $15,000.

God bless.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
13363 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
You do realize that being that far away from a small screen TV and trying to focus on detailed print is going to damage your eyes over the long term? At that distance, you won't notice much difference between a top of the line TV or a Walmart bargain as the details will be smudged.

A projector will be ideal for this distance and a blessing on your eyes. Here are some deals for projectors: https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Catego ... &brandid=0

This Epson projector with 100" pulldown screen is on sale for $1396 which is well within your price range, and has a 4 star rating from a google search: https://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Catego ... u=PKG43619

Add in about $100 to $150 for a professional ceiling mount installation and you are ready to go. As with everything, projectors get better and cheaper over time. A projector that costs $900 now was $2100 a few years ago. Stick with something mid level and look for an upgrade in a few years as needed. You will save money, get something with better quality/features and improved bulb longevity.

Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1885 posts
1011 upvotes
Toronto
100% projector - there is no other choice if you're sitting that far from the screen.

I got a like-new used Epson HC1060 1080p projector on Kijiji for $500 all-in. No 3d nonsense - just a simple, high lumen output 1080p LCD projector.

That, a pull-down or wall mounted screen, a simple 5.1 wireless soundbar (I have a Vizio Costco model connected to my Panasonic 65" plasma in the basement) and your media sources and you have a great setup which you should easily be able to do for cheap.

Once you're watching a movie from 18 feet away, you're not going to notice a difference between 1080 and 4K, at least from everything I've read. Also, streaming 4K is a challenge unless you're on a very solid wifi or cabled connection. I honestly don't see the value in a 4K investment yet. I'd spend $2000 now on a 1080p setup and in 5-10 years think about 4K.

Or just buy a few VR goggle sets and everyone has their own private 65" screen ;)
Jan 12, 2017
405 posts
138 upvotes
Only a projector would handle this distance, or move the chairs much closer. Ipads for everyone?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16987 posts
3848 upvotes
Toronto
1. A small screen viewed from a distance is not going to cause eye damage. That's an old wives' tale.

2. A projector is only recommended if you are comfortable keeping that room as a light controlled room. Projectors are lousy if there is significant ambient light. I personally would not recommend a projector if it is say the main family room and main room for entertaining guests. It's not very pleasant to have the guys over for a game and then make them sit in the dark.

3. Almost all TVs would be small in that setup, but a 75" TV may be passable. Unfortunately, good 75" TVs are not cheap. Also, 75" TVs are ginormous when you're standing beside them, so they can dominate a room too much. The Wife Acceptance Factor may be an issue here for some people.

4. If you want to go with a projector, I will have a decent used one for sale. I recently bought a 65" OLED (at 7.5 feet) so I will be removing my Sony VPL-HW45ES 1080p projector with about 600 hours on the lamp. I'm going to list it for $1150. (Actually it's still been mounted to my ceiling unused for the last 2 months because I've been too lazy to remove it.)

5. For a projector, having a good screen is good, but in some scenarios you can get away with a flat painted surface, painted with a Munsell neutral grey paint. I used Sherman Williams Gray Screen SW7071, which is very close to Munsell N8. Lower end screens are often not as good as this IMO, and higher end screens cost $$$.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... lors&p=PS0