Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario

TV wall mount - articulating

What are you guys using to mount your TV?
I am looking to mount over the fireplace - need an articulating one?
What is your brand and how much did you buy? and where?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Was looking into a mount from monoprice. Did not end up mounting my TV but did get articulating mounts for my computer monitors. Definitely the cheapest option.

The only thing I can tell you is look at getting it professionally installed. Depending on how big your TV is, if your wall is not strong enough, it will need to be reinforced. Bolting the mount to studs is the minimum you need to do to get it mounted securely.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2005
1868 posts
174 upvotes
Southern ontario
40 inch tv. 42 lbs.
I will be mounting it on 2 separate studs. (so 6 screws in total.)
there is NO drywall, it is full pine wood as a flat surface.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
Currently i use a heavy duty Peerless articulating arm for two rooms. It's a little more then i need, but does the job. I have also used the smaller arms for my 30" monitor's setup and they work great.

You only need to mount an articulated arm on 1 stud. I don't know why you need 2. I'll gladly take some pictures for you later tonight. Almost every TV in my home is either mounted on an arm or flat. Don't need to have it professional done unless you are really paranoid.

I just mounted another arm in the bar on a half inch thick blocking. Which necessarily not a true stud, but acts as one. It's a 46" TV.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7282 posts
1820 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
First of all I do not recommend mounting a TV over a fireplace. Imagine tilting your head up all the time just to look at the TV. Also the unconventional viewing angle will mean worse overall image quality.

I recommend a pull-down mount like this one: http://www.dynamicmounting.com/home. Perhaps you are thinking this when you say articulating? Usually articulating mounts meanings only horizontal movement (left/right) only.

If you don't want to bother with that at least get one that tilts at least 15 degrees downward or so. As someone that appreciate getting the best performance out of my home theater equipment, I just can't recommend this. I do understand why someone would do this for aesthetic reasons though.

No matter what type of mount you get though you just need to make sure you use the proper screws and the proper number of them. Just make you mount it on something that can support the weight (stud or similar).
There's a sucker born every minute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)