Tags:
None
[OP]
Oct 28, 2007
45 posts
16 upvotes
toronto

TVPad-- Watch Hong Kong/Taiwan/Mainland Channels LIVE with NO monthly fees

For Chinese users, TVPad is a new device base on Android OS that allow you to watch Hong Kong/Taiwan/Mainland channels live without any monthly subscription. I bought it myself approximately 5 months ago and I am extremely satisfied with it.

In a new 2012 promotion, the originally price has been cut from $299 to $229. You can use the promotional code 11783626 at checkout of the official site to take off an extra US$30.

This is their official website (it's in Chinese): [removed]

Just thought I should share a very useful product that isn't very well known yet. :idea:
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 24th, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: link removed/no longer working
3605 replies
Dec 27, 2006
495 posts
28 upvotes
I already have it. Watching TV live is pretty good, but the movies/TV shows archives have been streaming very poorly lately. The lag on the archived material is horrible.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2007
45 posts
16 upvotes
toronto
rockinthesuburbs wrote:
Jan 24th, 2012 9:50 pm
I already have it. Watching TV live is pretty good, but the movies/TV shows archives have been streaming very poorly lately. The lag on the archived material is horrible.

Did you try 影視谷 instead of 綜合影院? it works fine for me.
Deal Guru
Dec 3, 2004
10943 posts
419 upvotes
Markham/Mississauga
Gf's family has had this for the last 2 months, it's pretty decent and they like it. They're using a wireless dongle to stream and no complaints.

Looks like an AppleTV.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
1852 posts
95 upvotes
I'm scare these thing gets shut down .... :| :|
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11052 posts
2006 upvotes
It runs betv, ppstream. Doubt it'll get shut down
chinese zzz wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 12:01 am
I'm scare these thing gets shut down .... :| :|
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6152 posts
871 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Is it easy to update this thing with new firmware and/or new streaming services? A previous box we got a while back cannot be updated and when the streams get shut down the box become useless.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
775 upvotes
How many live tv channels? Hows the quality? DVD like or HD?
Aug 30, 2005
367 posts
65 upvotes
TheRed wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 1:21 am
How many live tv channels? Hows the quality? DVD like or HD?

according to the list on their site, 45 channels. Some are HD some are SD.

Not sure about the bandwidth usage, but the site says 2M+ download speed should be plenty.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2007
45 posts
16 upvotes
toronto
number8888 wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 1:03 am
Is it easy to update this thing with new firmware and/or new streaming services? A previous box we got a while back cannot be updated and when the streams get shut down the box become useless.

The box has built in live update feature or you can download the firmware or apps to a USB key and update locally.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16333 posts
4462 upvotes
Still looking for one that will do Viet TV. Not having any luck at that task though...
Oct 6, 2010
76 posts
13 upvotes
been using this for 2 months or so. sure gotten a lot slower streaming the archived materials. hopefully it improves soon...

i do recommend it though.

heads up, i got this at a local chinese audio/video store for 200 plus tax in toronto. (plaza on hwy 7 east of bayview)

store's website is avvantage.com
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
5378 posts
978 upvotes
So, is this a customer or generic Android-based box that's running PPTV or is it custom box, custom firmware? DX has thousands of generic android media players with thousands of cpu/gpu combos. PPTV & PPStream can be downloaded from the android market but I find that most of the streaming channels don't work.
No external links in signatures - Mods
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
3450 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto
rf134a wrote:
Jan 25th, 2012 11:41 am
So, is this a customer or generic Android-based box that's running PPTV or is it custom box, custom firmware? DX has thousands of generic android media players with thousands of cpu/gpu combos. PPTV & PPStream can be downloaded from the android market but I find that most of the streaming channels don't work.

i think the thing that sets this box apart is the fact that it can steam live cantonese channels from hong kong. tons of generic box can also do it but they are mainly only mainland chinese channels, making a box with hk channels like this a premium

therefore, if you only speak mandarin and only watch mainland chinese channels then u can prolly just get the cheaper generic boxes

also, while i would call the 230 price a decent one, i wouldn't call it "a big sale drop from 299" because i have never seen it sold for 299 at all. consider 230 the normal price (and not 299) since they were selling it for 169 around xmas time