• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2018 1:12 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2011
160 posts
25 upvotes
Halifax

Two Employers - Two Benefit Packages - Coordination of Benefits

Just curious how coordination of benefits works when you have two employers, both offering coverage? I know that it's pretty straightforward when you are covered by both your own benefit plan, and a spouse or parent's. Your own becomes primary, and spouse/parents is secondary. But how is it determined when you have two employers?

Is this something I should even worry about? Or do I just submit under one and claim the rest under the other?
9 replies
Feb 8, 2017
335 posts
138 upvotes
so you are employed by 2 employers and you have coverage from both employers? pick the one with the best coverage for your claim. but why do you have benefits from 2 employers? can't you have coverage from 1 and not have any benefits from the other? wouldn't that save you some money?
Jan 23, 2017
731 posts
518 upvotes
Calgary
Unless you need the coverage, you should opt out of one of the plans - this can generally only be done when you're already covered by a plan, which you are.

As mentioned, the the better of the two.

If you do need both, than yes you'd use the better of the two as primary, and claim overages through the second.
[OP]
May 25, 2011
160 posts
25 upvotes
Halifax
Both are union positions. One of them requires it as a condition of employment -!: I pay $75 a month for it. No exceptions.

The other one is much better much better and the employer pays 100% of premiums. I can technically opt out of this one, but then o will have troubles joining at a later date. Since the employer pays the premiums, I don’t see the point.

I’ve already submitted a vision care expense under the better one. I’ll submit the residual under my other plan and see what happens.
Jan 23, 2017
731 posts
518 upvotes
Calgary
TylerK wrote:
May 13th, 2018 10:39 am
Both are union positions. One of them requires it as a condition of employment -!: I pay $75 a month for it. No exceptions.

The other one is much better much better and the employer pays 100% of premiums. I can technically opt out of this one, but then o will have troubles joining at a later date. Since the employer pays the premiums, I don’t see the point.

I’ve already submitted a vision care expense under the better one. I’ll submit the residual under my other plan and see what happens.
You should be able to drop your coverage to bare minimum, which is generally covered by the employer. Particularly if unionized. CUPE?
[OP]
May 25, 2011
160 posts
25 upvotes
Halifax
It’s a school board. I’m on their sub list while I have a contract at another board. I have to buy the insurance to remain on the sub list. Since I only have a temporary contract at the other board, I’m leaving the door open. Don’t have the option of dropping coverage. It’s lnly $75 a month but I’d like to use it if I can.
Oct 26, 2007
101 posts
40 upvotes
If you max out the coverage on one plan you can use the other.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
19480 posts
6840 upvotes
Ottawa
negotiater wrote:
May 16th, 2018 1:31 pm
If you max out the coverage on one plan you can use the other.
+1
Apr 26, 2018
5 posts
I thought it was even better. You can claim to both even if it goes above 100%.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2849 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, coordination of benefits can be done in this case.

Say you're at the dentist, and you're covered 90% on your primary coverage (likely the one with the better return)...the dentist will submit to that company first, and then can usually submit to the second company as well, where they will pay the remainder of the balance (so long as whatever is remaining doesn't exceed the top percentage of the overall balance you're entitled too is).
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)