• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2014 8:48 pm
[OP]
Mar 16, 2007
131 posts
80 upvotes
Calgary

[Canadian Tire] Two Gerber knives 1/2 off at CT

Two Gerber knives on sale this week at Canadian Tire for ½ price.

The Gerber Torch II Tanto on for 37.49 at http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gerbe ... xFVfYWwUjw (currently 37.90 at amazon.com 4.4 stars)

Gerber LMF II Infantry Fixed Blade for 59.99 at http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gerbe ... reviews_li (currently 63.08 at amazon.com –no ratings on amazon but well rated on CT’s site) Note the Infantry Blade features: Lashing holes for use as spear, Leg Straps, sheath, integrated sharpener and is MOLLE compatible.

These seem like much nicer knives than the Bear Grylls ones. According to the CT guy, the LMF was really selling, I got the last one at CT McLeod in Calgary.
46 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4200 posts
623 upvotes
Edmonton
The LMF is a steal at that price. It's a big heavy knife that really is only good for outdoors or zombie attacks. I think you could open up a car roof with the thing it's so beefy. That blade was $130 not too long ago. $100 in US fi you could get it.

The torche would be a solid pocket knife but likely will not last years of hacking away at stuff. But that is what the LMF is for.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
2441 posts
195 upvotes
Winnipeg
Thanks OP.....I'll be looking for these tomorrow.
Dec 28, 2012
491 posts
312 upvotes
OTTAWA
thanks, considering the LMF... just no immediate need for it
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
3942 posts
1728 upvotes
Bonaduce wrote:
Feb 28th, 2014 11:05 pm
Sidenote The Gerber Zombie apocalypse Survival Kit is on at amazon.ca for $260.33 right now (http://www.amazon.ca/Gerber-30-000601-Z ... alypse+kit ) which seems to be its lowest price for the last year (http://ca.**************.com/product/B00842AIX0). Also tempting for those walking dead fans – the reviews on the amazon site are a hoot. Seems like a good deal if you need/want the extra axe and machetes.
Would love to be able to grab this at a $100-150 range.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4433 posts
1326 upvotes
Debtario
The Gerber LMF seems like a good knife, but Gerber isn't the same company they used to be.

IMHO a better buy is a folding Sanrenmu/enlan/Ganzo knife, or a this fixed blade knock-off Strider HT from Fasttech http://www.fasttech.com/products/1901/1 ... th-hunting
Bought the faux strider and can confirm that it's surprisingly good quality and a tough MOFO, as seen in this destruction test video towards the end (after 10 minutes or so):

No plastic handles to fail, just a thick chunk of sharp metal wrapped in paracord :)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Jan 8, 2007
356 posts
65 upvotes
The LMF is an amazing knife. Go get one if you're even thinking about it.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2009
1833 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
These work great to dice up those Gerber babies ...
Please keep sigs clean
Dec 10, 2007
18 posts
2 upvotes
Good price been looking for a fixed blade for a little while. Just wish it had a full tang.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4200 posts
623 upvotes
Edmonton
DU_Brutus wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 8:54 am
Good price been looking for a fixed blade for a little while. Just wish it had a full tang.
The LMF does. If you look closely on TV you will see some of the survival shows carrying this. I would use a lot of caution buying knock offs but then who is likely to use this as an actual survival knife... LMF is basically modern bowie knife in my mind. Massive, indestructible, and for scaring the girlfriend. Strap that to your leg when you go for a hike in the river valley.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12869 posts
3517 upvotes
Toronto
Max_Dealing wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 9:04 am
The LMF does. If you look closely on TV you will see some of the survival shows carrying this. I would use a lot of caution buying knock offs but then who is likely to use this as an actual survival knife... LMF is basically modern bowie knife in my mind. Massive, indestructible, and for scaring the girlfriend. Strap that to your leg when you go for a hike in the river valley.
The LMF is only partial tang, this was necessary for the handle to be insulated against electric shock.

Just my opinion, the LMF is a lousy survival knife. It has serrations in the bottom of the blade that interfere with cutting and batoning. It is unnecessarily heavy and and who needs a glass breaker in the wild? :razz: The steel is also relatively soft.

The LMF was designed for military use. It has been used by the US military as a rescue knife for fighter pilots. The knife was used in Afghanistan to cut through a live wire to cut off power to searchlights at an enemy camp. :)

I own the LMF, it's a fun 'toy' for most of us, not really a useable knife unless you are in a rescue situation.
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
If you are planning to use one for self defense, the blade would have to be longer then the palm of your hand.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
12869 posts
3517 upvotes
Toronto
andriykoua wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 9:23 am
If you are planning to use one for self defense, the blade would have to be longer then the palm of your hand.
Please don't buy these knives for 'self defense,' you are just asking for legal trouble.