[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10033 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto

Two numbers without dual sim phone

Hi phone experts.

What is the best solution in order to obtain two phone numbers on one cell phone without a dual sim device. OR should I get a dual sim device for the explanation below.

The objective is to be able to have both numbers be able to receive and make calls/texts.

I have number A and want number B, I would like to be able to make a call from number A and display number A to whomever I'm calling and vise versa for number B. I never want someone to find out number A if I'm calling them from B.

Any suggestions? I looked up some google store apps, but I don't believe the ones that I have identified were able to call from phone B, only receive, it would call using A.

Thanks.
8 replies
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10033 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
Would this happen to be an app that can be downloaded and monthly subscription? Could you suggest one so I would know where to start my research? Skype? lol

What about this: MobileVOIP
[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
10033 posts
4472 upvotes
Toronto
St.Genis wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:46 pm
Zoiper is installed on my Note 4.
One question. How do I get a phone number or for these services, do I need a sim and port out? I'm reading on zoiper/magicjack but I'm not clear on this.

And super thanks!

EDIT: Ah, for zoiper, you need a voip provider and magic you can port in but you need to still get magicjack services
Aug 18, 2018
820 posts
462 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
koffey wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 2:56 pm
One question. How do I get a phone number or for these services, do I need a sim and port out? I'm reading on zoiper/magicjack but I'm not clear on this.

And super thanks!

EDIT: Ah, for zoiper, you need a voip provider and magic you can port in but you need to still get magicjack services
You get a number by signing up for service with a voip provider, who will then provide you with a voip number. You'll then need a SIP app to place and receive calls, and a separate app to receive SMS's. (if you use Fongo then call+SMS is integrated into one app)

Couple caveats:
1. Short code SMS (eg alerts/2-factor authentications sent by banks) are very hit or miss with voip
2. No good solution for MMS exists yet unless you sign up for a Google Voice number and use their own app (not recommended since you can only get US numbers)
3. You still need data to use voip. Not a problem if you already have data with your current plan
[This signature intentionally left blank]
Jul 21, 2017
21 posts
2 upvotes
Textnow app is a simple free solution to get additional # (unless you want to use phone app). I have used it as
- additional # for kijiji guys
- local # during Vacation for people who have local calling.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
18323 posts
4856 upvotes
+1 voip.ms

Voice is mostly fine over LTE.

-1 to MagicJack and other "apps" like Textplus etc.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)