Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1244 posts
87 upvotes

Two wireless routers in one network?

Here's my problem:

My wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) is in my room. My bluray player (Samsung C5500T) has a LAN jack and wireless jack. It is in my kitchen and I can't hook the network cable to it because it's too far. I don't want to buy a wireless dongle (it's 80$ for the one compatible!).

Now, I have two spare routers: D-Link DI-524 and 2WIRE 2701 (Bell). What can I do with them to get my Samsung connect to the Linksys' network (to go online and access my NAS)?

Can I do this:

Linksys)))))) ((((((D-Link------Samsung

))) = wireless
--- = wired

In other words, out the D-Link in the kitchen, have it connect on the Linksys' wireless, then connect a network cable between the D-Link and the Samsung?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
Or a Pocket Router, which has a small size and can be powered via USB. The Pocket Router can operate as a router, bridge/client or access point - as selected by its mode switch.

Wireless N support would be advised over G if HD streaming is a possibility.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
I was in the same boat as you are with my 5500t and didn't want a dongle so I just purchased this to use as a repeater and plug in my bluray as well.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/P ... ME%29.aspx

It was $29.99 when I bought it - you could price match if you find a lower price.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
nerdonsite wrote: What you want is wireless bridge. But you need a DD-WRT compatible router.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Only 1 router needs to be dd-wrt compatible. If you look closely at the example, the primary router has typical router settings while the secondary router has wireless bridge setttings. So, OP just needs to put dd-wrt on the WRT54G and have the dlink and the linksys routers switch places. Easy peasy...

D-link)))))) ((((((Linksys------Samsung

))) = wireless
--- = wired
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1244 posts
87 upvotes
will888 wrote: Only 1 router needs to be dd-wrt compatible. If you look closely at the example, the primary router has typical router settings while the secondary router has wireless bridge setttings. So, OP just needs to put dd-wrt on the WRT54G and have the dlink and the linksys routers switch places. Easy peasy...

))) = wireless
--- = wired

Great thanks! I'll try this. I'm running tomatoe on my Linksys, I hope it's ok.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29541 posts
20458 upvotes
VanillaPep wrote: Great thanks! I'll try this. I'm running tomatoe on my Linksys, I hope it's ok.

I am unfamiliar with tomato firmware. I don't know if it supports wireless bridge. I guess if it does, then you don't need to install dd-wrt firmware. If you are adventurous, give dd-wrt a try. I highly recommend it.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 17, 2003
5604 posts
438 upvotes
Mississauga
will888 wrote: Only 1 router needs to be dd-wrt compatible. If you look closely at the example, the primary router has typical router settings while the secondary router has wireless bridge setttings. So, OP just needs to put dd-wrt on the WRT54G and have the dlink and the linksys routers switch places. Easy peasy...

))) = wireless
--- = wired

+1, that's how I networked my X360 with a hacked Fonera router :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)