• Aug 13th, 2015 9:25 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
In the UK dogs are being stolen as bait for dog fights. I'd never even take the chance with my dogs.
Oct 6, 2011
147 posts
50 upvotes
London
JC69 wrote: In the UK dogs are being stolen as bait for dog fights. I'd never even take the chance with my dogs.
It happens here too and I agree I would never take a chance with my dogs. Our neighbour owned a rescue who was a bait dog. The dog has since passed away but it was terrified of other dogs and aggressive. Understandably so, poor thing. :(
Feb 13, 2010
70 posts
wouldnt do it at all... too many crooks out there taking dogs from people's backyard.. YES their OWN back yards!.. because i have a smaller dog (still a pup) i would rather put him in my backpack and carry him in with his head sticking out. MOST / ALL places will allow this just because the liekly hood of them pooing / peeing is UNLIKELY...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: Would you leave your kids tied to a tree and walk into a store?
If not, why would you do that to your dog (which is also your family)?
Invalid comparison, IMHO. Dogs are used to being on-leash and many seem content to wait on-leash. I'm pretty sure they would prefer to be out and about with owner rather than waiting at home alone.

So, to answer OP's question, sometimes I bring my dog in the car and on hot days will leave her on-leash in the shade outside a store.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: ... You wouldn't believe how fu*ked up some people are to their (or other people's) animals. ...
Sure, I/we would. Look what people do to other people.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Jimbobs wrote: Invalid comparison, IMHO. Dogs are used to being on-leash and many seem content to wait on-leash. I'm pretty sure they would prefer to be out and about with owner rather than waiting at home alone.

So, to answer OP's question, sometimes I bring my dog in the car and on hot days will leave her on-leash in the shade outside a store.
Kids are also content with eating junk food and playing all day. Should we (as parents) let kids eat all the junk food / play all day?
The problem is not your dog. Its other fu*k up people out there....your dog can be kidnapped, abused, fed with poison, etc....
Jimbobs wrote: Sure, I/we would. Look what people do to other people.
And you are still okay leaving your dog (or kid) unattended knowing that someone can come along to kidnap, abuse, feed poison to your dog??
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: Kids are also content with eating junk food and playing all day. Should we (as parents) let kids eat all the junk food / play all day?
The problem is not your dog. Its other fu*k up people out there....your dog can be kidnapped, abused, fed with poison, etc....
So I should deprive my dog of the entertainment of being out and about because of what might happen? Maybe I should just stay at home myself - for fear of what might happen if I go out!

BDSL wrote: And you are still okay leaving your dog (or kid) unattended knowing that someone can come along to kidnap, abuse, feed poison to your dog??
Yes, because I understand that the possibility of bad things happening are low and I do all I can to mitigate the risks without succumbing to fear itself!
Mar 4, 2015
401 posts
41 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Exocet77 wrote: For obvious reasons you can't leave your pet alone in a car on a hot day. Not sure about leaving the car running with a/c on?

What are thoughts on tying your pet up outside a store? I went to Canadian tire and tied her up in the shade. Thoughts?
You can but there is a risk that something can happen. The odds are nothing will happen but you never know. I wouldn't leave the dog in a running car (someone can steal the car with your dog)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3926 posts
1039 upvotes
Toronto
I would never leave our dog tied outside a store. Actually I have been accused of being the owner of hysterical dogs tied outside of stores/restaurants because for some reason I seem to have a calming effect on dogs - and they all seem to love me.

Re a car, if I would have to call the police on myself, well there is your answer.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
There are bad parents. Then there are bad pet owners. Then there are bad drivers.
Most of them don't realize they are bad....
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
BDSL wrote: There are bad parents. Then there are bad pet owners. Then there are bad drivers.
Most of them don't realize they are bad....
And even when bad things happen, it's somebody elses fault!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3862 posts
2940 upvotes
Markham
Jimbobs wrote: And even when bad things happen, it's somebody elses fault!
Exactly. Because they don't realize they are bad....as I mentioned above.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)