Beauty & Wellness

Type 2 II Diabetes - Morning Sugar Levels Always Over 6?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 8th, 2018 12:52 am
[OP]
Nov 23, 2010
808 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto

Type 2 II Diabetes - Morning Sugar Levels Always Over 6?

My wife was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes over a year ago, and has had an up and down fight with her sugar glucose levels.

She uses a glucose machine, where she takes a small pin prick needle sample to see her blood glucose at regular intervals through out the day (before a meal, after a meal etc).

Before a meal she is less then 6, and after a meal she is less then 8. So her numbers are in target range.

So far, her numbers are all in range EXCEPT her morning fasting numbers.

When she wakes up first thing in the morning, she always always seems to be 6.X - Shes supposed to be below 6 first thing in the morning, but she always always seems to go over by a few points.

Shes tried a few different things, including eating a slice of toast before bed, or something else just before bed to help moderate her levels but she still consistently goes above 6.

Just curious if anyone else out there has this issue, and if so what can be done to mitigate this issue?
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6005 posts
1227 upvotes
@chillychin This is a complex question and advice regarding this needs to be individualized and given by a professional trained in diabetes management. So have her consult her doctor / endocrinologist, or a Diabetes Educator.

Take what I have to say with a grain of salt, as more generalized advice:

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/a ... he-morning

Dawn phenomenon (natural, excessive rise in morning blood sugar...may mean she needs a night-time medication depending on HbA1C...or, if she isn't exercising, exercising can help too. Literally adds glucose transporters to the muscles in our body to draw away from the blood vessels)

vs.

Somogyi effect

The appropriate advice will also depend on whether she injects long-acting insulin in the evening and/or takes certain oral diabetes medications such as sulfonylureas. If either are possibly causing low blood sugar as she sleeps, then the Somogyi effect refers to the body's attempt to compensate in the early morning and as such will involve changing the medication regimen and/or dose.

Otherwise (I don't know if she has yet tried this--and this is just opinion), but her evening snack should be a low glycemic index food such as a small amount of (steel-cut) oatmeal, barley, or some type of beans...something that will release glucose gently, steadily over a longer period of time. Toast in general is mid-or high glycemic index and can trigger insulin spike --> hypoglycemia --> compensatory hyperglycemia. Another situation of observing Somogyi effect.