• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2014 10:18 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Vladimir wrote: How about pork rinds? Those are healthy. I just need to find a cheap source for them.
They're not cheap, but microwaveable pork rinds are stupidly awesome. I bought a 5lb bag for $50 and I ate nearly the whole damn thing.
They puff up like popcorn so 1lb makes like like 3-4 "regular" bags.

I also love taking raw chicken skin, season it, fry it in some oil.. delicious chicken rinds and healthy depending on the oil you fry it in.
Obviously not vegetarian friendly.
I always loved breaking down a chicken and saving the skin for a snack.
cheapmeister wrote: These are the healthiest chips you can buy from vending machines and probably grocery stores too.
And they taste like garbage.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2268 upvotes
GTA
I'd say there's probably no such thing as far as packaged food is concerned. Sweet potato/veggie chips tend to be a little healthier. Get something like AirFryer and make your own fries, etc. for snacks.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
death_hawk wrote: They're not cheap, but microwaveable pork rinds are stupidly awesome. I bought a 5lb bag for $50 and I ate nearly the whole damn thing.
What brand and where did you buy it? Ill I can find is the small snack sized bags in grocery store that is like $1.25 for an 80 gram bag. Maybe ill have to check out the bulk barn
I love using the stuff as a replacement for breading. Crush up the porkrinds, coat some chicken, and fry it up.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
let's compare shall we
sunchips mutigrain
http://www.foxriverfoods.com/cfm/prodin ... ber=128697
ingredients
WHOLE CORN, SUNFLOWER OIL AND/OR CANOLA OIL, WHOLE WHEAT, BROWN RICE FLOUR, WHOLE OAT FLOUR, SUGAR, SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR, AND MALTODEXTRIN.
boulder olive oil kettle cooked chips
http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=produ ... 31381A4CEA
Potatoes, olive oil, salt.
cheapmeister wrote: Multi-grain
potatoes > corn, wheat, rice, & oats
cheapmeister wrote: Multi-grain, baked not fried. Also no trans-fats.
wasn't aware of that. source?
if so, strange that the oils would be the second ingredient on the list after that "healthy" corn.
anyhow, in terms of oils
olive > sunflower &/or canola oil

not saying either is "healthy" as they'll likely both have significant levels of acrylamide, but for an occasional snack the olive oil chips trucanuck presented wins in this showdown.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
death_hawk wrote: They're not cheap, but microwaveable pork rinds are stupidly awesome. I bought a 5lb bag for $50 and I ate nearly the whole damn thing.
They puff up like popcorn so 1lb makes like like 3-4 "regular" bags.

I always loved breaking down a chicken and saving the skin for a snack.

And they taste like garbage.
They have other flavours besides salsa.

ShoNuff2 wrote: let's compare shall we
sunchips mutigrain
http://www.foxriverfoods.com/cfm/prodin ... ber=128697
ingredients

boulder olive oil kettle cooked chips
http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=produ ... 31381A4CEA

potatoes > corn, wheat, rice, & oats

wasn't aware of that. source?
if so, strange that the oils would be the second ingredient on the list after that "healthy" corn.
anyhow, in terms of oils
olive > sunflower &/or canola oil

not saying either is "healthy" as they'll likely both have significant levels of acrylamide, but for an occasional snack the olive oil chips trucanuck presented wins in this showdown.
Lays also sells baked potato chips. Should be better due to less oil content.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Vladimir wrote: What brand and where did you buy it? Ill I can find is the small snack sized bags in grocery store that is like $1.25 for an 80 gram bag. Maybe ill have to check out the bulk barn
I love using the stuff as a replacement for breading. Crush up the porkrinds, coat some chicken, and fry it up.
These are the ones I buy: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002O5QWD8/
Or if you want a 5lb bag: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EFJTS2

They're a bit different than the grocery store ones. They seem to have more texture and substance compared to some that are really fluffy and basically dissolve when you eat them.
cheapmeister wrote: They have other flavours besides salsa.
Personally I don't like any sun chips regardless of flavor.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
jayt90 wrote: Yes, moderation is key. Read the white nutrition label, and limit yourself to the amount they reccomend. It might be something rediculous, like 15 chips, but if you follow their direction, and wait 20 minutes, your hunger pangs will be over.
The problem with carb heavy snacks is that you don't feel full quickly like you do with fiber or protein rich foods. Most people also tend to snack while watching TV or movies so they just over eat often without realizing it.

I found the key was to have a super small bowl, toss in a handful or two of chips and never go back for seconds. Having a cup of tea or water with it helps you feel more satiated too. If you take the whole bag to the couch you're in trouble.

When I do feel like binging I like the Cheddar Popchips, they're delicious and a whole bag is like 350 calories so I feel like I cheated without doing too much damage. By comparison a similar sized bag of Doritos is like 900+ calories. The real problem is finding them, most stores seem to stock every kind except Cheddar. I just order them from Amazon now.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Vladimir wrote: Oh so you get them shipped to border then and pick them up?
Doesn't' look like I can get them
Hmm. At one point they used to deliver to Canada. Maybe not that particular SKU but a friend of mine ordered a 5lb bag as well shipped to Canada.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
death_hawk wrote: Hmm. At one point they used to deliver to Canada. Maybe not that particular SKU but a friend of mine ordered a 5lb bag as well shipped to Canada.
Hmm darn. Only one that looks like I can is from a third party seller and they charge just as much for shipping as product itself. Oh well.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10717 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote: Lays also sells baked potato chips. Should be better due to less oil content.
they contain corn oil, corn sugar, corn starch and soy. pass. i'd still stick with the olive oil ones. no need to be afraid of decent fat as long as it's not heated above its smoke point.
i was going to comment that the baking might reduce the acrylamide content, but after a quick search it does the opposite...at least in the case of lays compared to their regular chips.
http://www.mindfully.org/Food/Acrylamid ... 4dec02.htm
Potato chips
Good Health Natural Foods Olive Oil Potato Chips Plain 385
Herr's Crisp 'N Tasty Potato Chips 468
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Oct. 15 249
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Oct. 29 318
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 5, bag 1 319
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 5, bag 2 398
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 5, bag 3 338
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 5, bag 4 337
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 12, bag 1 432
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 12, bag 2 462
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 12, bag 3 462
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 19, bag 1 280
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 19, bag 2 301
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 19, bag 3 283
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 19, bag 4 258
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 26, bag 1 257
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 26, bag 2 262
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 26, bag 3 275
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Nov. 26, bag 4 303
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 3, bag 1 343
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 3, bag 2 333
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 3, bag 3 291
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 3, bag 4 336
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 10, bag 1 425
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 10, bag 2 463
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 10, bag 3 490
Lay's Classic Potato Chips, code date Dec. 10, bag 4 549
Utz Crisp All Natural Potato Chips, lot 1 879
Utz Crisp All Natural Potato Chips, lot 2 433
Grandma Utz's Handcooked Potato Chips 146
Kettle Chips Lightly Salted Natural Gourmet Potato Chps 1265
Lay's Kettle Cooked Mesquite BBQ Flavored Potato Chips 198
Utz's Home Style Kettle-Cooked Potato Chips 117
Lay's WOW! Original potato chips 415
Ruffles WOW! Original potato chips 270
Ruffles Original potato chips 292
Wavy Lay's Original Potato Chips 198
Baked! Lay's Original Naturally Baked Potato Crisps 1096
Terra Sweet Potato Chips 767
Route 11 Sweet Potato Chips 2762
looks like sweet potato chips are way up there too.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Terra chips, just dehydrated vegetables or sweet potato. Expensive in stores but metro routinely has them on sale for 3.99, $2 off if it's reasonable. Ip just eat them as Porter gives them out on flights
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2014
1041 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What about the veggie chips at costco?

If you just want something crunchy and healthy (not potato), why don't you try the dehydrated apple slices (Martin's farms or sth) at Costco? They're real good.
A really inspirational quote should be here. But I haven't found one yet.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
Actually, the best "chips" out there in terms of health and taste are homemade. Super easy.

Buy kale
Wash, and pat dry.
Tear into bite sized pieces
Place in bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt (I also add onion powder)
Place onto cookie sheet with no overlapping, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes, give or take a few minutes as each oven is different.
Keep an eye on them because they can burn.
Taste amazing.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2007
2434 posts
328 upvotes
Waterloo
Sibica wrote: Actually, the best "chips" out there in terms of health and taste are homemade. Super easy.

Buy kale
Wash, and pat dry.
Tear into bite sized pieces
Place in bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt (I also add onion powder)
Place onto cookie sheet with no overlapping, and bake at 350 for 10 minutes, give or take a few minutes as each oven is different.
Keep an eye on them because they can burn.
Taste amazing.
I make some with radishes. Slice radish and season. Heat oil in pan and pan fry. Got yourself some nice healthy crispy snacks.