Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 8, 2008
241 posts
31 upvotes

U.S. based TD Bank account now available for Canadians

Great service and convenience on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border
If you’re a Canadian looking for an easy way to do your U.S. banking, then TD Cross-Border Banking can help. TD Cross-Border Banking offers Canadians helpful advice and great banking services, at over 1,300 convenient U.S. locations from Maine to Florida. Or, you can call the TD Cross-Border Banking Support Line at 1-877-700-2913, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, from anywhere in Canada or the U.S.1 So whether you are heading to the U.S. to live, vacation, shop, travel or study, TD can help you manage your cross-border banking needs.

What are the benefits of TD Cross-Border Banking?
Over 1,300 U.S. locations
With TD Cross-Border Banking you can enjoy the convenience of over 1,300 locations from Maine to Florida with TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank®. Find a location near you
Open a U.S. based TD Bank account
With a U.S. based TD Bank account you’ll have convenient access to your account with free Online Banking and Bill Pay2, and access to thousands of TD ATMs in Canada and the U.S.3
Apply for U.S. credit
You can apply for a U.S. mortgage4 or credit card5 products through TD Bank based on your Canadian and U.S. assets, income and credit history.
Easily transfer up to $25,000 a day across the border for free
Transferring money between your Canadian based TD Canada Trust and U.S. based TD Bank accounts is as easy as placing a phone call to our TD Cross-Border Banking Support Line, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from Canada or the U.S.
View your accounts online
Enjoy the convenience of viewing both your Canadian based TD Canada Trust and U.S. based TD Bank accounts online on the same page.
24/7 support and advice
From general advice to specific account questions, the TD Cross-Border Banking Support Line is here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from Canada or the U.S.
918 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
15655 posts
1734 upvotes
Toronto
Any info on fees or if this can be used to get usd out of PayPal?
Selling Grizzly Privy Maple Leafs - $33 ea - PM!
Mar 27, 2009
264 posts
47 upvotes
One: this has been available for a long time and there are multiple threads on RFD that talk about this.

Two: this thread is obviously an advertisement and should be locked.
[OP]
Aug 8, 2008
241 posts
31 upvotes
PaterFamilias wrote:
Nov 15th, 2012 11:10 am
One: this has been available for a long time and there are multiple threads on RFD that talk about this.

Two: this thread is obviously an advertisement and should be locked.
I just noticed it on their website as of today. It's an actual U.S. based account (similar to the RBC one) which you can open in Canada.
Jul 3, 2011
128 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
iliveinmycantina wrote:
Nov 15th, 2012 11:11 am
I just noticed it on their website as of today. It's an actual U.S. based account (similar to the RBC one) which you can open in Canada.
I heard them talking about this on the radio this morning. It was introduced as a news item as if it was something new. Not sure what exactly is new.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3062 posts
374 upvotes
Looks like they've officially launched this, although they've offered all the services here for some time now if you knew to ask for them.

The only new thing to me here is that you can now open US accounts by phone, and the single sign on that they seem to now be offering. Both of which are rather significant, IMO.

Then again, I won't benefit much from this as i'm closing my TDCT account soon (but keeping my TD US account). Might try to apply for a US Credit Card though.
Mar 14, 2007
730 posts
56 upvotes
I wish they had some branch locations in the Buffalo / upstate NY area.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20318 posts
3097 upvotes
Waterloo
Thanks, on the call with TD now (US agent)

phone calls takes ~20 minutes
They need ID (passport, DL) and like SIN (optional) <- too bad they can't just take my EasyWeb account
and they'll go through a few credit report multiple choice questions

They'll send a welcome kit (7~10 days), you sign and send it back
they open account
you can then do telephone banking, and later linked under EasyWeb to move money etc..
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5204 posts
1002 upvotes
Montreal
I go shopping in the US every 6-8 weeks. As well, I regularly receive cheques in USD. How will this account be beneficial to me?
Dec 31, 2011
2 posts
CALGARY
I already have a TD Borderless US account. Does this account offer me any benefits over it? From what I can tell, neither are *true* US accounts like what RBC offers.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14183 posts
1533 upvotes
Toronto
ajalan wrote:
Nov 15th, 2012 12:40 pm
I already have a TD Borderless US account. Does this account offer me any benefits over it? From what I can tell, neither are *true* US accounts like what RBC offers.
It says something about opening an account at TD Bank, which is their US division. I thought this was different from the Borderless plan, which is Canadian-based but works in US funds. Is there something I'm missing?

It sucks that they only have branches on the east coast.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2740 posts
199 upvotes
Canadia
Can someone please tell me the total cost for this? In terms of fees on Canadian side and fees on American side. I'm only interested if I can have free banking in both the US and Canada with small minimum balance ($100 is reasonable; $5000 is not reasonable to me). With no requirement to get a mortgage or credit card or loan or other stuff I don't need. Currently I have RBC and RBC USA accounts and since they started charging me $3 per month on the US side I'm looking to switch.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3062 posts
374 upvotes
ajalan wrote:
Nov 15th, 2012 12:40 pm
This is a true US account and credit card offering, held at TD Bank in the US.

Biggest advantage to this over the RBC offering is that you can waive monthly fees with a $100 minimum balance in the US account, biggest downside to this over RBC is that transfers can only be done by phone.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3062 posts
374 upvotes
nauru wrote:
Nov 15th, 2012 1:18 pm
Can someone please tell me the total cost for this? In terms of fees on Canadian side and fees on American side. I'm only interested if I can have free banking in both the US and Canada with small minimum balance ($100 is reasonable; $5000 is not reasonable to me). With no requirement to get a mortgage or credit card or loan or other stuff I don't need. Currently I have RBC and RBC USA accounts and since they started charging me $3 per month on the US side I'm looking to switch.
Free on the US side with a $100 minimum balance. They may open an account for you without a Canadian TD account (I opened mine in person at a TD Bank branch in New Hampshire without any proof of being a TDCT customer) but if not, the lowest TD Chequing account on the Canadian side has a $1500 minimum monthly balance.