• Feb 29th, 2024 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11907 posts
1734 upvotes
GVR
Saw a couple of mentions about PayPal and maybe it's too early, but can anyone confirm whether or not this will finally work for PayPal withdrawls?
Oct 20, 2010
416 posts
77 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Saw a couple of mentions about PayPal and maybe it's too early, but can anyone confirm whether or not this will finally work for PayPal withdrawls?
I can't confirm since I don't use Paypal, sorry. But I can't see why this wouldn't work to transfer from Paypal (US) to an account with TD Bank (USA). It is a real US-based account with physical branches in the US. I confirmed with an agent on the phone just now that they can accept ACH transfers from other US institutions no problem. I would assume this is what Paypay uses to transfer money to bank accounts, similar to our our EFT (e.g. bill payment) system up here in Canada.
Jun 18, 2006
592 posts
33 upvotes
komal wrote: On these US credit cards, what address is attached? A Canadian address?
I'm interested in knowing the answer to this question as well. Is there anyone with an account who can provide some insight? There are some services offered in the US that require a US credit card and US mailing address.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
Can you get a us addres with this? Or use is Paypal?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
9005 posts
5728 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: That's more of an SEC restriction that brokerage accounts can only be open by Americans citizens/PR -- likewise brokerage accounts here can only be open by Canadian citizen/PR.
Not quite ... TDA allowed foreigners (non american citizens) to hold accounts except for Canadians and British along with a few other countries that are "restricted/sanctioned".
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Saw a couple of mentions about PayPal and maybe it's too early, but can anyone confirm whether or not this will finally work for PayPal withdrawls?
What you want to do is after opening the account, get them to change the address on the account to your US Mailbox. Then you can verify the account with US Paypal and also make withdrawls.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
Yes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Sanyo wrote: -- likewise brokerage accounts here can only be open by Canadian citizen/PR.
Not so. Foreign residents can open a Canadian brokerage account.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
This is BS...I called in and they said they couldn't verify my ID Over the phone and I must go into a TD Branch in the states...WTF!
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
Would I be able to deposit USD cheques to this account via a Canadian ATM?
Oct 20, 2010
416 posts
77 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: Would I be able to deposit USD cheques to this account via a Canadian ATM?
No. Even in branch, the TDCT staff can't access your TD Bank USA account. You would need to deposit to a TDCT USD account (eg border less) and then transfer the money.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1550 posts
655 upvotes
North Vancouver
deal_with_singh wrote: This is BS...I called in and they said they couldn't verify my ID Over the phone and I must go into a TD Branch in the states...WTF!
Is this for everyone or is there something unique to your situation?
Jan 13, 2002
499 posts
271 upvotes
Toronto
Unique to his situation. I did the whole thing on the phone.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26761 posts
9330 upvotes
where I belong
deal_with_singh wrote: This is BS...I called in and they said they couldn't verify my ID Over the phone and I must go into a TD Branch in the states...WTF!
You better check your Canadian credit report then, they kinda need that
or did you not give them your SIN # over the phone? which can make lookup harder
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3440 posts
2670 upvotes
Montreal, QC
iliveinmycantina wrote: I just noticed it on their website as of today. It's an actual U.S. based account (similar to the RBC one) which you can open in Canada.
I've had this account for a few years now and I signed up for it via my TD Canada Trust branch. It used to be called TD Banknorth and then later changed to TD Bank. They also used to offer interest on their chequing account (I kept over $1000 there but now they don't so I keep the minimum of $100 there).

Only negative thing about this account is that they give you a hassle if you don't do at least 1 transaction every few months. If you wait 6 months without doing a transaction, they will tell you that your account is in some sort of "frozen" state where you have to go to an actual TD Bank (US) branch and make a transaction as opposed to doing a transfer on the phone. If you wait 1 year without making a single transaction, they informed me that they will send your money to the US government and you will have to fill in the paperwork to get your money back (similar to what happens in Canada after a FEW YEARS of inactivity where you will in paper work to get your money back from the Bank of Canada after your financial institution sends it there due to account inactivity.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2004
2909 posts
396 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: I've had this account for a few years now and I signed up for it via my TD Canada Trust branch. It used to be called TD Banknorth and then later changed to TD Bank. They also used to offer interest on their chequing account (I kept over $1000 there but now they don't so I keep the minimum of $100 there).

Only negative thing about this account is that they give you a hassle if you don't do at least 1 transaction every few months. If you wait 6 months without doing a transaction, they will tell you that your account is in some sort of "frozen" state where you have to go to an actual TD Bank (US) branch and make a transaction as opposed to doing a transfer on the phone. If you wait 1 year without making a single transaction, they informed me that they will send your money to the US government and you will have to fill in the paperwork to get your money back (similar to what happens in Canada after a FEW YEARS of inactivity where you will in paper work to get your money back from the Bank of Canada after your financial institution sends it there due to account inactivity.
Can you just transfer money between TDCT and TDB to beat this requirement?
Oct 20, 2010
416 posts
77 upvotes
Curious if anyone on the west coast has bothered opening up one of these accounts. I'm debating about it.

The benefit would be the free transfers from TDCT accounts but the lack of any ATMs on the west coast isn't great. Being able to access a USD account from ATMs would be nice, but I'd incur a fee (from TD and other bank) each time. Although using the Visa debit card and asking for cash back could be an option.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
20055 posts
9836 upvotes
Toronto
jerryhung wrote: You better check your Canadian credit report then, they kinda need that
or did you not give them your SIN # over the phone? which can make lookup harder
I did give them my SIN number, but she said Transunion wouldn't give them anything...I'm not sure about TU, but I just pulled a report from Equifax a month back and everything was in order...
Realtor (Investment Properties) - CPA, CA
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2007
1021 posts
267 upvotes
actng wrote: hey chris i really don't like it when you guys post nothing but "please call us" and "here is url". we already know to call you with info and we already know you have a website. you would add more value by actually answering the questions you see here.

that is the point of having a discussion forum, is to discuss.
Well said!

Every time I asked a question on twitter for community savings(a damn little credit union in BC), a dummy twittered me back saying pls call me at 1 800 xxxx. I am like, fuk you guys, I'm busy. If you are not qualified to answer my questions, simply do not answer it, or have someone to reply back with an answer not passing the ***** * ball back to me and ask me to call you. I hate that so much.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
komal wrote: Can you just transfer money between TDCT and TDB to beat this requirement?
Yes. Also, I would say if you are not going to use this account at least a couple of times a year then there is no point in getting it (why are you?)
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings