Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3017 posts
1141 upvotes

U.S. Best Buy exchange in Canada

I just received an Apple Watch as gift from a relative visiting from the states. I am super appreciative, but I would really like to exchange the colour. They got me the Apple Watch rose gold 38mm sport and I want the gold colour of the same version.

Has anyone ever had any luck with Best Buy in Canada exchanging something from the states? I have the receipt.
23 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2063 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
Nope not gonna happen.

Even though BestBuy US is the parent company of BestBuy Canada, they operate as 2 different companies in 2 different countries.

Your only option is to cross the border and goto one of the BB US stores and get the exchange done there.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2327 posts
847 upvotes
Just walk into the Best Buy in Canada and say I don't have my receipt but it's still brand new in box and I just want to exchange it..

You might get someone nice that does it for you, it's no loss to them, it's just whether or not they want to do that favor for you.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2063 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
flash67 wrote: Just walk into the Best Buy in Canada and say I don't have my receipt but it's still brand new in box and I just want to exchange it..

You might get someone nice that does it for you, it's no loss to them, it's just whether or not they want to do that favor for you.
And you have just committed fraud.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
offer a trade on Kijiji, sell it, or ask your relative to exchange for you and ship
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2327 posts
847 upvotes
libballeng wrote: And you have just committed fraud.
On the contrary.... the customer didn't commit the fraud... the store did.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
flash67 wrote: On the contrary.... the customer didn't commit the fraud... the store did.
lol, how do you figure?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2327 posts
847 upvotes
hitman_24 wrote: lol, how do you figure?
Because the person is just asking the store if they'll do the exchange for him.. If the store says Yes, then in reality there is no actual fraud being done.

If they say no I cannot exchange it without a receipt, then hes *****ed... It's simple
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
flash67 wrote: Because the person is just asking the store if they'll do the exchange for him.. If the store says Yes, then in reality there is no actual fraud being done.

If they say no I cannot exchange it without a receipt, then hes *****ed... It's simple
the only way the "customer" isnt in a fraud committing category is if they are honest in regards to their story of where the item was obtained
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
16674 posts
3006 upvotes
Toronto
hitman_24 wrote: the only way the "customer" isnt in a fraud committing category is if they are honest in regards to their story of where the item was obtained
Dictionary definition of fraud:
fraud
frôd/Submit
noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

OP is not going to get any financial or personal gain from this. He's simply exchanging a colour of the exact same item...

Worst case scenario, this is "unethical"...definitely wouldn't call it fraud.

Personally, I'd just walk into best buy and show them the best buy US receipt and ask if they'll change it...its' just a colour change, I'm sure they won't make a big fuss about it depending on the rep.
Real Estate Agent, CPA, CA
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
deal_with_singh wrote: Dictionary definition of fraud:
fraud
frôd/Submit
noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

OP is not going to get any financial or personal gain from this. He's simply exchanging a colour of the exact same item...

Worst case scenario, this is "unethical"...definitely wouldn't call it fraud.

Personally, I'd just walk into best buy and show them the best buy US receipt and ask if they'll change it...its' just a colour change, I'm sure they won't make a big fuss about it depending on the rep.
exchanging it for a preferred colour is absolutely for personal gain.
its called fraudulent misrepresentation
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2327 posts
847 upvotes
Then stores commit it all the time...

Plenty of times I've walked in for an exchange... Told them I had my receipt and they didn't even look at it... They just exchanged the item...

Hitman you sound like you work for a union
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
flash67 wrote: Then stores commit it all the time...

Plenty of times I've walked in for an exchange... Told them I had my receipt and they didn't even look at it... They just exchanged the item...

Hitman you sound like you work for a union
I do work for a union, and am also an entrepreneur in the private sector. I dont see how that is at all relevant
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3017 posts
1141 upvotes
Both Best Buy and Apple said no, I was honest about where the watch came from. I'm just going to learn to love the rose gold, but damn its pink.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2063 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
Where are you located OP? Close to the border?

Perhaps my original suggestion will work?