• Dec 19th, 2009 1:50 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
54 posts
Montreal

U.S. credit card with U.S. billing address

I would like to get a U.S. credit card with a U.S. billing address so I can make online purchases at U.S. web sites. I have heard that we can get "cash cards" at U.S. banks which are essentially debit cards, but can be used as credit cards. However, I would still need a U.S. billing address. Is it possible that I apply for a cash card using a friend's address in the U.S.? Does anyone has experience with this sort of thing? Thanks!
44 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18564 posts
1009 upvotes
blacksharpie wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 11:39 am
I would like to get a U.S. credit card with a U.S. billing address so I can make online purchases at U.S. web sites. I have heard that we can get "cash cards" at U.S. banks which are essentially debit cards, but can be used as credit cards. However, I would still need a U.S. billing address. Is it possible that I apply for a cash card using a friend's address in the U.S.? Does anyone has experience with this sort of thing? Thanks!
You can get the Target RedCard visa with your Canadian address. I also have a US mailing address only good for shipping

I plan next time I am in the US to get this card and then once approved call them and try to change the billing address to my US one, or at the very least, add it as an "authorized address" for shipping purchases.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
54 posts
Montreal
Thanks for the info on the Target credit card! For stores that only accept credit cards with U.S. billing addresses, is having a U.S. address as an "authorized address" good enough?
Aug 13, 2002
808 posts
16 upvotes
usually an authorized address is good enough, but most online payment systems don't check for authorized addresses, they only check against the billing address. so what usually happens is the store would put your order on hold pending payment resolution. I usually put a comment on the order page (if available) for the store to call my card provider to confirm address
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4886 posts
438 upvotes
It depends on the merchant. Some merchants like NewEgg are very strict, they will verify your billing AND shipping address.

If you have a canadian address as your billing they will reject your order even though you have a US credit card.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18564 posts
1009 upvotes
tkyoshi wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 4:04 pm
It depends on the merchant. Some merchants like NewEgg are very strict, they will verify your billing AND shipping address.

If you have a canadian address as your billing they will reject your order even though you have a US credit card.
This is why I hope I can change my billing address after I get the card.

I can't see why I would not be able to do this.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4886 posts
438 upvotes
brunes wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 4:07 pm
This is why I hope I can change my billing address after I get the card.

I can't see why I would not be able to do this.
Oh you should be able to, ask them to see if a paperless statement option is available too. That way you don't have to worry about your statements going to some random person.

I have my billing address set to one of the parcel pickup places I use.
Nov 4, 2005
337 posts
8 upvotes
What I did was add a US address to my credit card and made that the address where everything was shipped, wouldn't that help you out?
[OP]
Jun 6, 2007
54 posts
Montreal
PJ311 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 8:44 am
What I did was add a US address to my credit card and made that the address where everything was shipped, wouldn't that help you out?
The credit card would still be Canadian then. I think some web sites reject all Canadian credit card numbers.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18648 posts
528 upvotes
Montreal
I actually have 2 US credit cards, from when I spent a semester at University down there.

The billing address for them is my home here in Canada though. Is there any way I can get a US address that would forward all my mail to my home in Canada?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18648 posts
528 upvotes
Montreal
brunes wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 11:50 am
You can get the Target RedCard visa with your Canadian address. I also have a US mailing address only good for shipping
Did you apply in person?

If you look at the application online:

https://redcard.target.com/ic/ic_form.j ... tid=906300

It asks for a lot of mandatory USA info like SSN #, Which state your drivers license is from, and no option to select a canadian province, and US bank info. How'd you do it?
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18564 posts
1009 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 1:04 pm
Did you apply in person?

If you look at the application online:

https://redcard.target.com/ic/ic_form.j ... tid=906300

It asks for a lot of mandatory USA info like SSN #, Which state your drivers license is from, and no option to select a canadian province, and US bank info. How'd you do it?
I have not done it myself, but lots of others have. You have ot do it in store, you say you're Canadian and they can do the credit check with just your name and address.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18648 posts
528 upvotes
Montreal
brunes wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 2:24 pm
I have not done it myself, but lots of others have. You have ot do it in store, you say you're Canadian and they can do the credit check with just your name and address.
So if they check the Canadian credit bureau, once it's approved does it report to the Canadian credit bureau or the American one, since it's an American card :confused:
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2005
4886 posts
438 upvotes
najibs wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 5:10 pm
So if they check the Canadian credit bureau, once it's approved does it report to the Canadian credit bureau or the American one, since it's an American card :confused:
I've heard that it will report to your Canadian Report.

If you have a US address it may not report anywhere since you don't have a SSN. SSN is required in the US for any kind of credit, no exceptions that's how they report/pull your report.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
18648 posts
528 upvotes
Montreal
tkyoshi wrote:
Feb 5th, 2008 6:04 pm
I've heard that it will report to your Canadian Report.

If you have a US address it may not report anywhere since you don't have a SSN. SSN is required in the US for any kind of credit, no exceptions that's how they report/pull your report.
So then what's the advantage of getting the target card for a Canadian? The fact that it's in US dollars, and therefore no 2.5% currency conversion fee, and that's it?
× < >