Shopping Discussion

A U.S. government report says Pacific Mall is among the most notorious sources of pirated counterfeit goods in the world

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2018 3:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2106 posts
2750 upvotes
Laval

A U.S. government report says Pacific Mall is among the most notorious sources of pirated counterfeit goods in the world

A U.S. government report says Pacific Mall is among the most notorious sources of pirated and counterfeit goods in the world
CANADA
Pacific Mall, Markham, Ontario
With over 270,000 square feet of retail space and more than 500 small shops, the sale of
counterfeit goods at Pacific Mall in Ontario is sprawling and pervasive. The mall is touted as the
largest Chinese mall in the western world and a recognized tourist destination but it has also been
a well-known market for the sale of counterfeit and pirate goods for over a decade. Sales of
counterfeit goods in the Pacific Mall reportedly continue despite extensive efforts by brand
owners to enforce their trademarks. Vendors in Pacific Mall appear to operate largely with
impunity, and requests for assistance from local law enforcement have reportedly gone
unanswered. Many of the counterfeit goods including cosmetics, sunglasses, and fragrances
pose a risk to public health and safety.
https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/fi ... .11.18.pdf
63 replies
Nov 29, 2017
671 posts
432 upvotes
Yup try to find a parking space on the weekend!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
If you enter the EU with counterfeit goods masquerading as products of EU origin, they can be confiscated and destroyed. Canada doesn't give a @#$% when it comes to black market goods, counterfeits, fakes.

Law-abiding citizen spending their disposable, post-tax income abroad on authentic personal items = state wants another cut through duties and taxes...articles for which there are no competing Canadian producers/manufacturers.

Criminal activity revolving around importing and peddling knockoff junk for large-scale profits = investigators and police turn a blind eye

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/why-cana ... off-goods/
A recent report from the OECD pegged Canada as the third biggest source of fake goods, after China and Hong Kong, specifically technology products, that wind up for sale in Canada and abroad. Given that 20 per cent of these products are knock-offs of American brands, patents and other intellectual property, there’s little wonder the U.S. is so peeved by Canada’s lackadaisical approach to combatting counterfeit.
So let's see, we have leaky borders and will not stand with the USA on issues of national security. US border agents are known to have caught individuals on idiotic stories that our CBSA has not.
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigratio ... as-29.html (entered Canada on a student visa with "full scholarship" to a high school that does not offer athletic scholarships.)

We award a terrorist who comes from a (naturalized) terrorist immigrant family who, according to US authorities, killed a US soldier (the US for a long time considered our allies and most important trading partner)...millions of dollars.

We are a growing tax haven and suspected source of international money laundering ("snow washing")--as cited in the Panama Papers.

BUT HOLD IT THERE ARE YOU RETURNING FROM CROSS-BORDER SHOPPING AND FAILING TO DECLARE YOUR BRAND NEW SHOES? Time to flag you in the system, you naughty citizen.

What about border retail inequalities and inefficiencies? OH OH but Canada loves raking in duties/taxes from small-time citizens doing small-time transactions.
nafta-us-pushes-canada-raise-de-minimus ... r-2104041/

Now our pitiful government is trying to flex its trade muscles against the US in NAFTA negotiations. We are horrid allies and the US does not need us nearly as much as Canada needs them. The US is one of the few nations that could actually be self-sustaining, and Canada's a bunch of political weasels/nimrods.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2010
1584 posts
210 upvotes
Markham
Counterfeit Chinese goods being sold by Chinese vendors at these primarily Chinese outlets is no secret. Arrests have been made in the past with regards to the selling of pirated CD’s, however these same vendors continue to blatantly sell this and other counterfeit material with no moral conscience. It’s time once again for Canadian authorities to do something, and do a sweep and clean that place up, and maybe start holding the landlord accountable. Dealing with this issue there is like shooting fish in a barrel as once again it’s right out in the open.
On a side note, counterfeit Canadian coins are a big problem for collectors. It’s a well know fact they come from there but if they are dated prior to 1949, the beginning of the cultural revolution, the Chinese don’t care.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2013
3625 posts
198 upvotes
Check out the US government report here:

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-office ... rkets-list

As I was reading through it, it occurred to me that if anyone is interested in buying pirated goods or downloading videos for free, the report is a pretty decent introduction on where to go looking for them. I can just hear the owners of the websites/retail locations thanking the US government for the free advertising.
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
121 upvotes
Have they never been to canal Street or any flea market?
Banned
Dec 22, 2017
322 posts
121 upvotes
PCUSER wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:06 am
Counterfeit Chinese goods being sold by Chinese vendors at these primarily Chinese outlets is no secret. Arrests have been made in the past with regards to the selling of pirated CD’s, however these same vendors continue to blatantly sell this and other counterfeit material with no moral conscience. It’s time once again for Canadian authorities to do something, and do a sweep and clean that place up, and maybe start holding the landlord accountable. Dealing with this issue there is like shooting fish in a barrel as once again it’s right out in the open.
On a side note, counterfeit Canadian coins are a big problem for collectors. It’s a well know fact they come from there but if they are dated prior to 1949, the beginning of the cultural revolution, the Chinese don’t care.
What about flea markets and European sellers of fake goods in the US and online?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2952 posts
835 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:49 pm
How is this news?
This is not a 'news' section.. it's 'Shopping Discussion'. Appropriate post.

Ron.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
22397 posts
2850 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 6:29 pm
So let's see, we have leaky borders and will not stand with the USA on issues of national security. US border agents are known to have caught individuals on idiotic stories that our CBSA has not.
https://www.thestar.com/news/immigratio ... as-29.html (entered Canada on a student visa with "full scholarship" to a high school that does not offer athletic scholarships.)
LOL our border guys were probably too busy trying to figure out if/how they could tax him on the "scholarship" instead of determining its authenticity or legitimacy...or to even notice the guy is clearly not 17 :rolleyes:

Can border agent#1: Hmm this guy has a full scholarship, eh? That must be worth quite a bit, maybe we can make some money here?
Can border agent#2: Wait do you think this guy is really 17?
Can border agent#1: 17%? That sounds good...no wait can we get more $$$ out of this?
Can border agent#2: ???
Can border agent#2: Oh right the taxes, that's what we're here for I nearly forgot, yeah 17% I guess....maybe 20%?
Can border agent#3: Do high-schools even give scholarships? I mean our universities barely even do that. ... Maybe he's importing some stuff though, that might net us a pretty penny!

US border agent: :facepalm:
Feb 4, 2018
1 posts
2Riskit wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 5:35 pm
A U.S. government report says Pacific Mall is among the most notorious sources of pirated and counterfeit goods in the world

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/fi ... .11.18.pdf
I hired a sourcing agent from China to check for counterfeit goods. I paid for these shipments through Paypal and Mastercard to have more insurance in case I had problems. My first shipments started coming in and 90% of the orders were counterfeit. I filed my claims with Paypal and they say to ship it back however our Canadian government states and so does the RCMP state that it is illegal to return. The RCMP says that in certain provinces it's up to our local police of OPP department to handle this issue, however our small town police department can barely handle regular business and we have no one experienced to deal with counterfeit issues to put Paypal and Master Card in their place regarding counterfeit goods. They are suppose to be immediately destroyed, however the Intellectual Properties Department with the Canadian government that handles counterfeit products has not returned my messages. I have played Monkey in the middle for a long time, lost lots financially, and the stress it has caused is tremendous. I'm thinking of filing a law suit against them for damages at this point. I am interested in hearing others experiences. Thank you
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17908 posts
1389 upvotes
https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/pacifi ... -1.3811769
“Management at Pacific Mall has learned that a recent report suggested that some vendors in the mall are selling imitation goods,” the news release said. “We are deeply disturbed and disappointed by this news.”

“Management takes compliance with the laws and regulations that govern the sale of goods seriously.”
:Lol:
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1383 posts
380 upvotes
I think I know how the stores will deal with this :)
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2012
4770 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
Does that mean I can't buy cheap christmas lights anymore?