Shopping Discussion

U.S. President slams Amazon for hurting retailers and causing job losses.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 10:59 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8521 upvotes
GTHA

U.S. President slams Amazon for hurting retailers and causing job losses.

Aug.16 -- President Donald Trump took to Twitter Wednesday morning to hammer Amazon.com Inc., claiming that "towns, cities, and states throughout the U.S." are being hurt and many jobs are being lost. Sebastien Galy, macro strategist at Deutsche Bank, speaks on "Bloomberg Surveillance."

Donald Trump Rips Amazon, Says It Causes 'Great Damage To Tax Paying Retailers'; Shares Drop | CNBC

Anyone agree with him?
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5236 posts
5918 upvotes
While this maybe true, is it really Amazon's fault ? People are changing buying habit from retailer to online even without Amazon. On a positive side, Amazon provides different technology and platform that creates many business owner or helps business owners to promote their business. World keeps changing, many jobs will be replaced by automation in the future. While we are enjoying the new technology in different perspective, we have to adapt the changes in different ways at the same time. Instead of blaming Amazon, the president should work with these companies helping us to fit into this changes.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3015 posts
704 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
Got to adapt as our world keeps changing. Trump is still being old school.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30559 posts
5060 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Wow, Trump actually said something I agree with.

I love Amazon, I shop there almost every other day. But it's true, it's killing retail. Amazon has predatory practices, it will sell below cost. Amazon was operating at a loss for the longest time.
Feb 13, 2017
674 posts
118 upvotes
Amazon also receives a government subsidy shipping with USPS which is what some argue makes it unfair for their competition. Amazon also got a $600 Million contract with the CIA (prior to Alexia being released)
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14261 posts
3593 upvotes
London
If Amazon didn't exist, it's market space would likely have been occupied by Alibaba.

Those retailers would still have lost jobs
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
1630 posts
1124 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 10:12 am

I love Amazon, I shop there almost every other day. But it's true, it's killing retail. Amazon has predatory practices, it will sell below cost. Amazon was operating at a loss for the longest time.
I don't like retail as I find in most cases only to be a bloated man in the middle. Amazon is still a man in the middle but a more efficient one. The more we can eliminate retail the better.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8825 posts
2241 upvotes
London
Gee wrote:

The same was said of Walmart at one time...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
4747 posts
578 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote:

On a side note I read on cbc that juat about everyone in Iqaluit byts things like diapers on amazon because amazon doesn't charge extra for shipping out there. I wonder if they do it at a loss to kill the competition, or if they simply haven't noticed.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
3855 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 11:00 am
If Amazon didn't exist, it's market space would likely have been occupied by Alibaba.

Those retailers would still have lost jobs
100%
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17670 posts
2896 upvotes
Toronto
Donald Trump complaining about someone else not paying taxes. Amazon is just being 'smart', after all. What a world we live in.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Feb 4, 2017
76 posts
41 upvotes
It's true that Amazon are taking jobs away from regular people - that's why Amazon stock is over $1,000+ a share.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17334 posts
23912 upvotes
ONTARIO
Washington Post criticizes Donald Trump so he tries to attack Amazon. That's all this is.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8521 upvotes
GTHA
President Donald Trump Slams Amazon Tells Post Office To Charge More | CNBC
CNBC's Morgan Brennan reports the president's latest tweet and the financial state of the post office compared to its competitors.

Nov 18, 2017
205 posts
79 upvotes
Coming from a president that's anti-net-neutrality. I highly doubt he's pro anti-trust laws.