Shopping Discussion

U.S. President slams Amazon for hurting retailers and causing job losses.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 10:59 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31311 posts
2750 upvotes
Winnipeg
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 4:23 pm
President Donald Trump Slams Amazon Tells Post Office To Charge More | CNBC
CNBC's Morgan Brennan reports the president's latest tweet and the financial state of the post office compared to its competitors.

last time i heard that US post is losing money, perhaps they really should be raising their rates, although the rate could be controlled by the feds.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5489 posts
2062 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
The Donald will take credit when Amazon announces 5,000 jobs from a new headquarters in the USA.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8523 upvotes
GTHA
divx wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 3:26 am
last time i heard that US post is losing money, perhaps they really should be raising their rates, although the rate could be controlled by the feds.
Yes, USPS is losing money...

Is Amazon Taking Advantage Of US Postal Service? | CNBC
Are Trump's attacks on Amazon a sign of bigger issues ahead for the company? Broughton Capital's Donald Broughton and Tom Forte of D.A. Davidson & Company discuss.

Dec 23, 2017
33 posts
14 upvotes
I don't really like retail marketplaces. Average person has no clue what they are selling, and/or they eyeing/spying on you like if you're going to steal something.
May 28, 2012
10302 posts
2444 upvotes
Saskatoon
BobSagget wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 5:02 pm
Washington Post criticizes Donald Trump so he tries to attack Amazon. That's all this is.
That's pretty much it, he's very vindictive.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24823 posts
5091 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 10:12 am
I love Amazon, I shop there almost every other day. But it's true, it's killing retail. Amazon has predatory practices, it will sell below cost. Amazon was operating at a loss for the longest time.
Sooo you shop there every other day and love it but you agree with Trump that it has a negative impact on the economy? Makes sense :confused:

Also, Walmart is well known for doing the exact same thing, running smaller and local businesses out of business whenever they open up shop in an area they weren't previously in before. This could actually be seen in Canada as a whole prior to their major expansion here like 15 years ago. Basically they come in sell stuff for really cheap, run everyone else out of business...annnnd then raise prices :rolleyes: Walmart's prices are now just "competitive" with other big retailers, they're not the "cheaper than anywhere else all day everyday" that they once were.

If we think Amazon is doing the same thing, well enjoy the better prices while you can because once they have little competition left, guess where prices are going to go?
Jan 11, 2012
165 posts
14 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's the way the system works like described above (by ES_Revenge and others), a president who is presumably pro-business criticizing a 'success' (in the way it is measured these days at least) is just more nonsense because he has his own agenda and/or he spends too much time on twitter.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
3366 posts
2569 upvotes
baresi wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 10:33 am
It's the way the system works like described above (by ES_Revenge and others), a president who is presumably pro-business criticizing a 'success' (in the way it is measured these days at least) is just more nonsense because he has his own agenda and/or he spends too much time on twitter.
Put even simpler -- he wouldn't be criticizing Amazon if he owned it, he'd be taking credit for it and berating other retailers as losers...
Friendly reminder: South Street is the second coming of Licks, and Works Burger is a bad ripoff of Red Robin put out by those purveyors of garbage, MTY Shit Restaurants Group.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30571 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 10:19 am
Sooo you shop there every other day and love it but you agree with Trump that it has a negative impact on the economy? Makes sense :confused:

If we think Amazon is doing the same thing, well enjoy the better prices while you can because once they have little competition left, guess where prices are going to go?
You’re absolutely right. I expect to see higher prices eventually. I still agree with Trump. It’s killing a lot of small retailers. What’s the solution? Boycott Amazon? Would you pay more for an identical item to support a local business? Most people are self serving, you can slow this train down, but you can’t stop it.

I don’t equate Amazon with Walmart. The difference is that Amazon is more accessible than Walmart. I can shop 24 hours a day
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24823 posts
5091 upvotes
Gee wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:08 pm
I don’t equate Amazon with Walmart. The difference is that Amazon is more accessible than Walmart. I can shop 24 hours a day
Yeah but Canada's marketplace is a drop in the bucket for these big retailers. Doesn't matter whether you, I, or other Joe Canadian can't shop at Walmart 24hrs a day because guess when you can shop at Walmart in most states? 24 hours a day ;)

Also we can't really equate shopping at Amazon "24 hours a day" the same as a B&M store that's open 24hrs. You don't get what you're buying at the same time as you bought it. So if you are hungry and buy some food items at Amazon at 3am, I'm pretty sure you're not going to be bragging about how you fixed your hunger problem at 3am at Amazon, LOL. In the meantime, if you went to the local 24hr grocery store, it's a much different story.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30571 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:17 pm
Yeah but Canada's marketplace is a drop in the bucket for these big retailers. Doesn't matter whether you, I, or other Joe Canadian can't shop at Walmart 24hrs a day because guess when you can shop at Walmart in most states? 24 hours a day ;)
There will always be a premium for convenience. I don’t ever plan to buy groceries at Amazon. The acquisition of Whole Foods is a bad move in my opinion.

For me, Amazon is for buying things I want. Not necessarily things I need. Groceries, toilet paper, cleaning products, I still buy at Costco, even though they’re available on Amazon.

If I feel hungry at 3 am, I’m stuck. I live in a rural town and nothing is open. However, when I did live in the city, I could go to the Rabba down the street and pay $10 for a snack. You pay the premium for the convenience. That will never change. I don’t think fast food, and convenience stores have to worry about Amazon.

Just read through the updated thread. Trump is now complaining that The United States Postal Service is not charging enough and Amazon is taking advantage of the low rates. That’s the other side of the coin. I personally have no problems paying for shipping. If I got into my car and drove 10 minutes to Walmart and then spend an hour in the store shopping, the time and gas spent is worth more than the price of shipping from Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5257 posts
5927 upvotes
Trump must be jealous Amazon making so much money. Although I agree Amazon has taken down many local business, it also create many online business.

Amazon is expanding. Whatever area has room to earn money, it will invest in it. I know this will put huge risk for small business. However, that's how it works for business. Invest the profit return into another business. Convenience store, gas station, restaurant, etc ... are the target from Amazon. Even building construction can be one of its business target as the return is huge plus it can promote its smart home concept. On the other side, Apple and Facebook are lagging. With so much cash on hand and not finding something else to do on parallel is not good for the future business. I can foresee more companies acquisition in the future as that's how a big company normally starts to join a new business.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30571 posts
5064 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
lcmt wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 12:57 pm
Trump must be jealous Amazon making so much money. Although I agree Amazon has taken down many local business, it also create many online business.
I don’t think Amazon retail is making money. Maybe break even. They definitely lose money on shipping.

They are buying business right now and trying to close down the competition. Amazon’s profit comes from their other online business’ like Amazon Web Services.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5257 posts
5927 upvotes
I didn't look at the most recent financial report. I think the profit margin is still very small for its online retail business, but the revenue is big, so there is still quite amount of money coming from the retail. The Amazon home service and restaurant in USA should help the profit quite a little. There are still plenty of things can be done to reduce the other expenses besides the shipping. It is just matter of time. Eventually, the online retail portion of its business should generate stable amount of money.

The AWS still has lots of room to grow as IT is still in the growing stage and there are still lots of thing can be done in terms of performance and automation.
Gee wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 1:03 pm
I don’t think Amazon retail is making money. Maybe break even. They definitely lose money on shipping.

They are buying business right now and trying to close down the competition. Amazon’s profit comes from their other online business’ like Amazon Web Services.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31311 posts
2750 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote:
Aug 17th, 2017 10:12 am
Wow, Trump actually said something I agree with.

I love Amazon, I shop there almost every other day. But it's true, it's killing retail. Amazon has predatory practices, it will sell below cost. Amazon was operating at a loss for the longest time.
How can they afford to take a loss when big box store can't?