Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
183 upvotes

U-turn on the street

I was driving on queen street west and there was a car in front of me.

That car decided to perform U-turn in the middle of the road.

I thought that car made the U-turn successfully (Initially, I didn't even know he was making a U-turn). Then, I decided to drive forward. That car wasn't able to complete the U-turn and he needed to back-up. While he was backing-up...I was driving forward...No accident since I turned the steering wheel a little so he didn't hit my car.

Should I have waited patiently for that car to complete his U-turn? Do you usually wait? I'm still a new driver but I had my license for a couple years. Sometimes I can't tell what other drivers are trying to do.
14 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
12230 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
The guy shouldn't be making a U-Turn in the middle of the road to begin with, but when you drive downtown and there's traffic (especially), people do it all the time.
A polite or seasoned driver would see that the driver clearly does not have enough room to make the U-Turn and they are going to have to make a 3-point turn, in other words back up to where they just were. Imagine you were that driver and you were trying to make the turn, you didn't make it so you had to back up and all of a sudden the driver that was behind you is trying to push their way through. It's not very polite / politically correct. You should just wait until the way is clear and until the driver in front of you has finished what they were doing (making the turn).

At least I think that's how most people would do it. You usually wait until its safe and until they are finished.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5723 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Should I have waited patiently for that car to complete his U-turn? Do you usually wait?
Yes and yes
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Nov 29, 2011
877 posts
92 upvotes
Markham
There would be no other choice but to wait, but if I were put in the situation, I'd definitely hold my horn and give him the finger for obstructing the flow of traffic.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17612 posts
1636 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I hate when people out of the blue decide to make a u-turn! I hate it so much that I drive up blocking them from making the turn making sur he blocks incoming traffic!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7666 posts
761 upvotes
North York
world25 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:49 am
I was driving on queen street west and there was a car in front of me.

That car decided to perform U-turn in the middle of the road.

I thought that car made the U-turn successfully (Initially, I didn't even know he was making a U-turn). Then, I decided to drive forward. That car wasn't able to complete the U-turn and he needed to back-up. While he was backing-up...I was driving forward...No accident since I turned the steering wheel a little so he didn't hit my car.

Should I have waited patiently for that car to complete his U-turn? Do you usually wait? I'm still a new driver but I had my license for a couple years. Sometimes I can't tell what other drivers are trying to do.

My answer to OP is more philosophical ...

A excellent driver can avoid accidents by knowing what the other drivers around them are going to do/react/screw-up. And takes proactive steps to avoid being being affected by the actions of other drivers. (Defensive driving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_driving)

So to answer OP's question. Did OP do anything wrong?

Legally ... No. But according to the defensive driving philosphy ... YES!

So, it is not about if one is legally right or wrong. It is about avoiding situations which may result in an accident. (Being accident free is the BEST gift a driver can give themselves.) :)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1777 upvotes
in case of an accident, it would have been the other driver's fault
it depends if you wanted to avoid the accident or not
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11891 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
May 1st, 2012 4:58 pm
I hate when people out of the blue decide to make a u-turn! I hate it so much that I drive up blocking them from making the turn making sur he blocks incoming traffic!

Your selfish angst does no favours for anybody.
Deal with it.
Banned
Apr 28, 2012
72 posts
2 upvotes
VANCOUVER, British C…
KorruptioN wrote:
May 1st, 2012 11:28 pm
Your selfish angst does no favours for anybody.

Tell me about it. How do you know his situation or circumstances? Perhaps it was an important emergency for all we know, and he never does U-Turns regularly. No need to go out of your way to disrupt someone.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2003
3900 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
world25 wrote:
Apr 29th, 2012 11:49 am

Poor drivers (typically new ones or ones with huge e-penises) yap about "right of way" and who's legal blah blah. Good drivers simply extend courtesy to others, regardless of who's in the right. It's the safest way to drive, avoid road rage and generally avoid accidents.

Next time, wait it out and realize the 3-5 seconds of your life you spent waiting will mean nothing tomorrow.
--
There is no happy ending
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11891 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
Sylvestre wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 6:17 pm
Poor drivers (typically new ones or ones with huge e-penises) yap about "right of way" and who's legal blah blah. Good drivers simply extend courtesy to others, regardless of who's in the right. It's the safest way to drive, avoid road rage and generally avoid accidents.

Next time, wait it out and realize the 3-5 seconds of your life you spent waiting will mean nothing tomorrow.

+1

It also keeps traffic moving... which is something everybody wants.
Deal with it.
Jul 27, 2005
509 posts
10 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:

Making things worse aren't we?

Granted it's somehow wrong to make a Uie in the middle of a street, I just hope someone does it knowing their vehicles turning radius. I always watch till it's clear and swing wide to ensure its a full U turn and not a 3 pointer.

Just yesterday, a friend tried to make a 3 pointer in an empty street and I knew the Civic wasn't going to make it, but she did tried anyway and it slammed against the curb and made a loud BANG that scared me stiff!
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1219 posts
82 upvotes
Voltex wrote:
May 1st, 2012 4:39 pm
There would be no other choice but to wait, but if I were put in the situation, I'd definitely hold my horn and give him the finger for obstructing the flow of traffic.

Better to give the 'fake applause' and go "Yaaaaaa....goood job!".
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2007
1219 posts
82 upvotes
ispiratica wrote:
May 2nd, 2012 10:11 pm
Just yesterday, a friend tried to make a 3 pointer in an empty street and I knew the Civic wasn't going to make it, but she did tried anyway and it slammed against the curb and made a loud BANG that scared me stiff!

The last five words of that sentence makes me laugh.

Then again, my mind is in the gutter. ;-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2002
9964 posts
1835 upvotes
Oakville
sandikosh wrote:

And you in turn are 10 times the knob they were.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
× < >