[OP]
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
10217 posts
2733 upvotes
Toronto

Uber: The all things Uber thread

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/12 ... uberx.html

Something tells me this isn't going to make the public more sympathetic to their issue.

Personally, I'll just keep using Uber.

EDIT:

UberX legal in Toronto:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ber-rules.html

Excellent news
704 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7285 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
Just saw this mess on the DVP caused by taxis. What a stupid protest, their pissing off 905'ers who likely don't use uber.

Wouldn't it be smarter to block off king west friday/saturday night and refuse fares?

These guys are morons and this won't help their cause.

PS no surge pricing for uber in north york.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Nov 24, 2014
298 posts
273 upvotes
Windsor, ON
EDIT: Please understand I'm not trying to advocate for taxi drivers. I don't think that most people know what it is that taxi drivers are specifically upset about.

You have to understand why they're upset.

To drive a taxi, you have to purchase a taxi license. These things costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Usually the taxi companies buy the licenses and then rent the taxis out to the drivers.

Many drivers saved up a lot of money and bought the licenses themselves. These licenses can then be sold in the future when they decide to retire. It's always been like this because the law has required you to have a license to drive a taxi.

People have retirement plans with the license value being a considerable part of their future plans.

One day, Uber launches and they DON'T need to use buy a license. Uber allows drivers to circumvent the law since they're a different classification.

So taxi drivers got understandably upset. Why were they forced to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on licenses when the city will allow their new competition to flood the market without having to spend a single dollar on licensing.

It's tantamount to unfair competition. The taxi drivers that rent the cabs aren't as affected as the ones who invested a sizeable amount of money into purchasing a license.

I completely understand where they're coming from.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1780260/toron ... -to-blame/
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3046 posts
312 upvotes
Mississauga
taranducal wrote:
Dec 9th, 2015 9:54 am

To drive a taxi, you have to purchase a taxi license. These things costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Usually the taxi companies buy the licenses and then rent the taxis out to the drivers.

Many drivers saved up a lot of money and bought the licenses themselves. These licenses can then be sold in the future when they decide to retire. It's always been like this because the law has required you to have a license to drive a taxi.

People have retirement plans with the license value being a considerable part of their future plans.

One day, Uber launches and they DON'T need to use buy a license. Uber allows drivers to circumvent the law since they're a different classification.

So taxi drivers got understandably upset. Why were they forced to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on licenses when the city will allow their new competition to flood the market without having to spend a single dollar on licensing.

It's tantamount to unfair competition. The taxi drivers that rent the cabs aren't as affected as the ones who invested a sizeable amount of money into purchasing a license.

I get why there upset however with out change and innovation industries just become stagnant and do not modernize, it became very lucrative for some to hold taxi licenses to the point that original owners did not even drive taxis and where banking on there licenses as cash cow making investments.

Uber has came in with an interesting model, create enough havoc in the industry until they ban it , make it legal or force the Taxi industry to come into the 21th century.

I do feel for the drivers being impacted however Uber is the type of innovation that needs to happen sometimes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7285 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
taranducal wrote:

We've all heard the same old arguments. No investment is 100%. Uber is different in that they still don't pick up passengers off the street.

Also picking on commuters from the 905 just doesn't make sense to me. Why not block king west? Oh that's right because people Stil do take taxis when leaving clubs.

Taxis will get more fares once it gets cold. Girls in short skirts in busy areas after clubs won't be waiting around for uber.

The USD rising is making me and many others lose money.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
352 upvotes
taranducal wrote:

This kind of logic always baffles me. So a small group a people want everybody to not change because they lose their privileges.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3182 posts
480 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
GangStarr wrote:
Dec 9th, 2015 10:03 am
Girls in short skirts in busy areas after clubs won't be waiting around for uber.
I have waited FAR FAR shorter times for Uber than I have Beck or the like. Granted it is not a simple wave down, but any person worth their brains would order an Uber as you are getting ready to leave the club so it would be either there when you exit or a block or so away when you get out. I have never waited longer than 10 minutes for an Uber. I have however been burned by beck and companies many times when they promised 5-10 minute pickups.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23723 posts
1197 upvotes
Markham, ON
cool another Taxi / Uber thread...

Taxi drivers must be idling all day to post on RFD.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3182 posts
480 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
arm2000 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2015 10:13 am
This kind of logic always baffles me. So a small group a people want everybody to not change because they lose their privileges.
I liken this to Blockbuster, Circut City, Sears, and the like. Those brick and mortars failed to evolve and adapt to new tech. Look what happened to them (I know sears is hanging on by a thread, but the writing is on the wall) These cab drivers and vehicles are orders of magnitude more disgusting and filthy than Uber, and for some reason the old stalwarts fail to up their game. ZERO sympathy from me for these cab drivers. If anything, these temper tantrum "protests" make me want to use Uber even more.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7285 posts
518 upvotes
Toronto
willdacanucker wrote:
Dec 9th, 2015 10:17 am
I have waited FAR FAR shorter times for Uber than I have Beck or the like. Granted it is not a simple wave down, but any person worth their brains would order an Uber as you are getting ready to leave the club so it would be either there when you exit or a block or so away when you get out. I have never waited longer than 10 minutes for an Uber. I have however been burned by beck and companies many times when they promised 5-10 minute pickups.
I agree, I'm a huge uber advocate and user. Agreed taxi dispatch isn't good, however they tend to park close to major events. Also sometimes one can be a bit too drunk to operate a cell or more commonly, dead battery.

Just pointing out their monopoly on the flag down does set them apart from uber.

Tory is pretty much getting my vote for not giving in on this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
8615 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
your just pissing off the wrong people.

they should protests on friday , saturday and sunday nite, don't pick up passengers on clubbing nite.. see how that goes...
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
6888 posts
1259 upvotes
taranducal wrote:
Lol every investment has risks. I'm not going to go block all the streets if my stock portfolio plumets tomorrow. It's a risk I'm willing to take when investing in something.
Apr 1, 2013
422 posts
73 upvotes
BC
If I were a taxi driver I would join uber. Our government is so incompetent to fix this problem.
Jul 7, 2007
788 posts
301 upvotes
taranducal wrote:
Please. Nobody put a gun towards their heads and forced them into buying a taxi license and become a taxi driver.

When you spend big $ on a item which value is tied to regulation, what to you expect said item to happen?
taranducal wrote:
The taxi drivers that rent the cabs aren't as affected as the ones who invested a sizeable amount of money into purchasing a license.
You expect all investments to growth in value? Its called an investment, if you can't accept the risk, then don't invest.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1367 upvotes
Toronto
I rarely take cabs and have never taken Uber, but I did take a cab home last week and noticed the cab driver had a cell phone on his dash with the Uber app open. Was he also driving with Uber or trying to scoop the fares? I figured either you were a cab driver or you were an Uber driver, but maybe some drivers can be both.

I'm personally all for innovation but the legislation needs to catch up. The cab drivers are stuck in the older system, and the legislation is penalizing them for being in the old system.