• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2018 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 16, 2007
603 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone point me to info on the real story about insurance necessities?
I spoke to my personal insurer (Aviva) and they say I DO need to add their rideshare endorsement if I want to do ride sharing with Uber. But everywhere else I’ve read, I do NOT need to purchase additional insurance above the Uber group policy offered thru Intact.

To complicate matters, my insurer Aviva, is now the group insurer for Lyft. So does that mean, I definitely wouldn’t need the rideshare endorsement if I decide to drive for Lyft instead, since Aviva is already my insurer?

I have done countless searches on this and I can find no consistent information. Just conflicting information, and coupled with the fact that my own Insurer says I need rideshare endorsement, I do not know what to believe any more.

For example, what happens if I am in an accident where I am at fault, what deductible Would I pay? I have a zero deductible on my personal policy.
Feb 21, 2015
119 posts
25 upvotes
Markham
Go to join the LYFT & UBER Drivers - Toronto GTA Facebook group. You will get the answer form them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7874 posts
864 upvotes
Ontario
I have intact in my office that will insure your vehicle when you are driving for uber... feel free to message me
mark2000 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 2:16 pm
Can someone point me to info on the real story about insurance necessities?
I spoke to my personal insurer (Aviva) and they say I DO need to add their rideshare endorsement if I want to do ride sharing with Uber. But everywhere else I’ve read, I do NOT need to purchase additional insurance above the Uber group policy offered thru Intact.

To complicate matters, my insurer Aviva, is now the group insurer for Lyft. So does that mean, I definitely wouldn’t need the rideshare endorsement if I decide to drive for Lyft instead, since Aviva is already my insurer?

I have done countless searches on this and I can find no consistent information. Just conflicting information, and coupled with the fact that my own Insurer says I need rideshare endorsement, I do not know what to believe any more.

For example, what happens if I am in an accident where I am at fault, what deductible Would I pay? I have a zero deductible on my personal policy.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
4889 posts
604 upvotes
Ottawa
is uber available in Winnipeg?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1386 posts
480 upvotes
UberX and UberXL will now pick you up from the terminals at Pearson. Previously only UberBlack, UberSUV and UberSelect would pick you up at the terminals.

No more walking to the street at Viscount or taking a hotel shuttle required.

https://www.uber.com/en-CA/airports/yyz/
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
5462 posts
1171 upvotes
Markham
They didn't seem to mention it but I'm presuming there's some kind of "cut" to be paid to GTAA.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
1386 posts
480 upvotes
If other major cities are any indicator then yes, the Uber fare will include a surcharge for pickup at the airport.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
7315 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
I’m happy about this but I could see this causing airport limos to protest. Time will tell I guess
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
9430 posts
3567 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 12:44 pm
Uber, Lyft pilot project at Pearson Airport is ‘unfair,’ taxi industry representatives say

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... -industry/
“They’re not branded, they’re not marked,” Rita Smith, who has worked in the taxi industry for more than 30 years, said of ride-share cars. “The [airport] commissioner doesn’t have any way of knowing whether that’s your mother or father picking you up from the airport or an Uber driver.”
lol, wankers.
In order to be authorized to pick up airport passengers, Mr. Punian said taxi operators must pay fees to the GTAA and the City of Mississauga, as well as ensure their vehicle meets the requirements set out by the airport authority.

“It is not a fair playing field,” Mr. Punian said. He added that it has not been disclosed to him by the GTAA, Uber or Lyft on whether ride-share companies are subject to the same rules and regulations that taxi companies are in order to operate within airport premises.
Wooo. Rules and regulations...
Capture.JPG
https://www.torontopearson.com/uploaded ... -05-06.pdf

Get with the times already. It's not like these services will be completely gone as people still use taxi and limos today.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5194 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
First time driver would earn more from Lyft or Uber?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
5046 posts
487 upvotes
Scarborough
those limos/taxi drivers drive like maniacs alot of the times, like as if they all got anxiety or something.......where's the so-called "defensive driving"
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
2637 posts
1590 upvotes
Oakville, ON
greg123 wrote:
Jun 13th, 2018 1:48 pm
First time driver would earn more from Lyft or Uber?
It’s common to drive for both.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)