• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 3:06 pm
[OP]
Aug 21, 2011
783 posts
177 upvotes

Uber introducing tipping in Canada and US

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/06/uber- ... ies-today/

Seems uber will be introducing tipping in Canada and the US. Between this and taxes it seems prices will be going up a fair bit, taxes at least being reasonable. They already have the potential to be making decent wages, is this just going to bring entitlement? I'm all for giving them fair wages but I can just see all the drivers 1 starring non tippers and low tippers alike.

Any thoughts?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1062 posts
309 upvotes
New York City
I actually use Lyft (where available) because it allows to tip right on the app. Not sure about Uber but on Lyft it's anonymous if I am not mistaken.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2012
2679 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Off topic but I say an interesting story on Uber vs cabs in London (uk). They called it a sort of culture clash...most of the cab drivers are older white males who trained and bought special cars while most of the Uber drivers are young minorities/immigrants. What I found interesting is that one of the Uber drivers lives with her husband in a "project" and drives a Prius. So, she lived in government subsidized housing in one of the world's most expensive cities yet has a new Prius. Basically she is running a cab company that can charge less than a normal cab because the government is subsidizing her whole operation through social assistance.
Jan 31, 2007
616 posts
315 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Anyone keep seeing the tipping reminder in Uber app, about "Now there's a way to show your appreciation"?
is there way to turn it off?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27664 posts
3808 upvotes
Ottawa
I have never used Uber and was thinking abut it but, after reading the recent complaints and questions (predetermined routes, tipping etc) I am wondering if Uber is not just becoming the exact same as what they were trying to replace...Taxis?
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Feb 10, 2010
716 posts
187 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 9:01 am
I have never used Uber and was thinking abut it but, after reading the recent complaints and questions (predetermined routes, tipping etc) I am wondering if Uber is not just becoming the exact same as what they were trying to replace...Taxis?
+1 Uber is slowly showing the true colors. This summer Uber already implemented couple of changes all of them in order to charge more to the passenger. Pretty sure iit will be like TTC every year rising the fares etc.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
2931 posts
276 upvotes
Stopped using it completely, getting too expensive. Car or TTC for me.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1062 posts
309 upvotes
New York City
Perhaps it's time they operate in a way to be profitable rather operate at a loss.

I still take it over taxis due to its convenience, price is secondary. I still remember back in the days taking a cab in Seoul or Tokyo was painful since many drovers did not speak English. Now I don't need to worry about language barriers with Uber. Used it often in Vietnam.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27664 posts
3808 upvotes
Ottawa
McKinsey wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:42 am
Perhaps it's time they operate in a way to be profitable rather operate at a loss.

I still take it over taxis due to its convenience, price is secondary. I still remember back in the days taking a cab in Seoul or Tokyo was painful since many drovers did not speak English. Now I don't need to worry about language barriers with Uber. Used it often in Vietnam.
I am pretty sure anyone that takes their own car and picks up rides to make extra bucks will not be operating at a loss.....it would nto take long for them to stop doing something that costs them money out of their pocket.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4137 posts
409 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:52 pm
I am pretty sure anyone that takes their own car and picks up rides to make extra bucks will not be operating at a loss.....it would nto take long for them to stop doing something that costs them money out of their pocket.
i do believe mcKinsey is referring to the company, not the individuals
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27664 posts
3808 upvotes
Ottawa
Kingmoo wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:57 pm
i do believe mcKinsey is referring to the company, not the individuals
OK then, I think they (Uber) make a good profit and made the CEO and founders very wealthy men http://uk.businessinsider.com/uber-leak ... its-2017-2
Jan 31, 2007
616 posts
315 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I use them when I can't drive. e.g. Drop off / Pick up car for repair.
GO out for drinks
or during business trip. I use them a lot in US and UK.

To me , it is much easier than taking taxi. But the reminder keep coming up for tipping is driving me nuts.

BTW< not sure will I get bad review if I don't tip.