Uber introducing tipping in Canada and US

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 3:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5398 posts
968 upvotes
???
They did that to show that uber "uses" contractors and not employees.

They wouldn't waste R&D funds on something to Make drivers happier which they already make a killing off of. Also they are a monopoly in certain areas.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
4591 posts
1156 upvotes
Cornhole, ON
Pete_Coach wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:52 pm
I am pretty sure anyone that takes their own car and picks up rides to make extra bucks will not be operating at a loss.....it would nto take long for them to stop doing something that costs them money out of their pocket.
"A fool and his money are soon parted." , I've seen it in action more times than I can remember.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27701 posts
3849 upvotes
Ottawa
dilligafeh wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 11:11 am
"A fool and his money are soon parted." , I've seen it in action more times than I can remember.
S'pose you are right :)
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Jan 31, 2007
619 posts
322 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was in Cineplex watching movie on sat, and before the movie start, here we go a Uber commercial about tipping, and all people sooooo happy , LOL
Mar 22, 2012
49 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
cheapshopper wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 4:31 pm
I was in Cineplex watching movie on sat, and before the movie start, here we go a Uber commercial about tipping, and all people sooooo happy , LOL
sarcasm? don't get it
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6504 posts
701 upvotes
I dont tip cab drivers unless they do something else besides drive, like carry my luggage, open the door for me, etc

Same for baristas at coffee shops. If i order black coffee, why would i tip you for turning 180 degrees, pressing a button and turning a180 degrees again to give me the cup of coffee i was already charged for. Table service, maybe if i order unnecessarily complex drinks like others do, i'd tip for the bother aspect of it.

Only times i do tip constantly are server type jobs that have a catering aspect to them (checking in on you, etc), or if its a pizza delivery driver, and especially if its winter and shit weather.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6754 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
So if the driver gets a lousy tip, does he give a lousy rating for the customer?
Mar 31, 2017
941 posts
260 upvotes
The drivers already say they aren't paid enough by Uber. This is a way of unofficially giving the drivers more money and keeping them happy for now.

You may have read that Uber actually loses money for every passenger. Only 50% of the ride cost is covered by present revenues, so Uber has no ability to give the drivers a raise hike.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9319 posts
1137 upvotes
Toronto
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 3:33 pm
I dont tip cab drivers unless they do something else besides drive, like carry my luggage, open the door for me, etc

Same for baristas at coffee shops. If i order black coffee, why would i tip you for turning 180 degrees, pressing a button and turning a180 degrees again to give me the cup of coffee i was already charged for. Table service, maybe if i order unnecessarily complex drinks like others do, i'd tip for the bother aspect of it.

Only times i do tip constantly are server type jobs that have a catering aspect to them (checking in on you, etc), or if its a pizza delivery driver, and especially if its winter and shit weather.
We need more people like. As for me, once this new $15/hr wage is in, I'm going to drastically reduce or almost eliminate my tipping to servers. Why should they continue to benefit under the old regime of getting paid less than minimum wage when they're now equal to everyone else? Sure if they provide good service, etc. But instead of 15% or whatever, it'll be about 7% or whatever.
PCDawg wrote:
Aug 15th, 2017 7:37 pm
So if the driver gets a lousy tip, does he give a lousy rating for the customer?
Yes, from my understanding, this factors into it. Considering that the ratings are anonymous, there is no way to know for sure.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3887 posts
423 upvotes
Thornhill
Tipping taxi drivers is stupid. Never did, never will. If you wanna tip someone, tip people who work at McDonalds next time you yell at them for waiting an extra minute. These people work one of the hardest jobs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7731 posts
2607 upvotes
Toronto
I usually tip uber peeps few dollars in person rather than electronically. All of them are happy.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2980 posts
231 upvotes
GTA
Tipping is democratic. RFD should implement the upvote with optional "purchased gifts".