Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
uber

Uber Live In Vancouver $5 Off First 3 Rides Works For Existing Account

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2020 8:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
16186 posts
790 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
added to my uber account in toronto. has anyone tried to see if it works for gta/toronto?
Money, Religion, Sex and Politics is what it is all about!
99% Tryhard I've got hardwood flooring downstairs...if you know what I am talking about
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135816 upvotes
888888 upvotes
Lolvtec wrote: Don’t forget to tip

Ex uber driver
Don't expect a lot of tips in Vancouver. :)
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2019
1025 posts
3364 upvotes
west as
Vancouver has the lowest numbers of taxis per capita of any major CDN city. A big reason why the taxi cabal put up such whining hissy fit over ride sharing.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2006
3198 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver
I wonder how much lower Vancouver Taxi License sells for now. Several years ago, I heard it was around $700,000.
Sep 8, 2013
140 posts
38 upvotes
the 'Peg
Is Uber available in Abbotsford? I fly to and out of Abbotsford and it's so expensive to get to the nearest skytrain station.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2019
1025 posts
3364 upvotes
west as
yvrwindsor wrote: I wonder how much lower Vancouver Taxi License sells for now. Several years ago, I heard it was around $700,000.
One was auctioned off a few years ago for $800K+
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Where do I enter the code the OP posted?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2443 posts
2978 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Scote64 wrote: The news said no, both Uber and Lyft are currently offering pickups only in downtown Vancouver, although they can drop off in other municipalities.

And I think the mayor of Surrey's opposition is less to do with him being an old fogy and more to do with the taxi industry lobby that's extremely powerful in Surrey for reasons we all know but don't talk about.
As a person in Alberta, i am curious on what the reasons are?
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37131 upvotes
Bigboy16 wrote: As a person in Alberta, i am curious on what the reasons are?
Cultural lines. It's seen to offend both cabbies and South Asians.

I don't know why they've chosen to make this an ethnicity issue, as transport workers come from all backgrounds.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jan 24th, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
The news said no, both Uber and Lyft are currently offering pickups only in downtown Vancouver, although they can drop off in other municipalities.
Really? Apparently Uber was available in Coquitlam about an hour ago when I tested but Lyft wasn't.
And I think the mayor of Surrey's opposition is less to do with him being an old fogy and more to do with the taxi industry lobby that's extremely powerful in Surrey for reasons we all know but don't talk about.
Exactly. You don't exactly want to piss off your entire voter base even though it's the stupid thing to do.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jun 28, 2019
473 posts
291 upvotes
Vancouver
Has anyone successfully got a Vancouver Uber yet?

Also is it tough to get a Class 4? I wouldn’t mind driving on the side. I’m surprised ICBC isn’t all over this making drivers get a special insurance and etc
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
Just curious, how do Uber/Lyft drivers earn their money? Do they get a cut of the ride or are they paid a hourly wage. Suppose it is a $30 ride, how much of that would a Uber driver get?

For taxi drivers, do they get hourly wages and benefits.
Have a nice day!

Sep 16, 2011
889 posts
1431 upvotes
LONDON
Lolvtec wrote: Don’t forget to tip

Ex uber driver

I don't get the tipping culture, I do agree that they do not make much but this is like the restaurant business where I am supposed to tip because the owner is too cheap to pay them what they deserve and now I have to cover the cost of the owner's cheapness and pay for my food too
Sep 16, 2011
889 posts
1431 upvotes
LONDON
LonesomeDove wrote: Just curious, how do Uber/Lyft drivers earn their money? Do they get a cut of the ride or are they paid a hourly wage. Suppose it is a $30 ride, how much of that would a Uber driver get?

For taxi drivers, do they get hourly wages and benefits.
Uber takes a percentage and pays the driver the rest, I think it is around 25% but I don't know the exact number. Similar to Ubereats and skipthedishes, they charge the restaurant a percentage of the order
Last edited by zackaroli on Jan 24th, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 15, 2017
348 posts
665 upvotes
WEST CANADA
I thought Uber would be a lot cheaper but asides of app convenience its not a big savings vs taxi. I have used Uber in other countries and the savings was more notable, most of the time less than half of the price vs taxi.
Jul 5, 2010
95 posts
100 upvotes
Just to mention - saw a disclaimer saying that $5 discount will apply to the first 10,000 rides. Not sure how fast that will go
Jul 5, 2010
95 posts
100 upvotes
zebracobra007 wrote: I thought Uber would be a lot cheaper but asides of app convenience its not a big savings vs taxi. I have used Uber in other countries and the savings was more notable, most of the time less than half of the price vs taxi.
In Vancouver it is not about saving. It is more about having a clean car, knowing exactly who is driving you so you can report if something is wrong, better driving in general because taxi drivers not being stopped by police much thus driving really shitty, no overcharges by pure taxi driver discretion and so on. In general it is about much better service for similar money, which is a win for customers